Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
Dreamer Too

1967 26' Overlander
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
'67 Overlander 12 Volt System

I am getting ready to tackle the 12 volt system in my 67 Overlander (All lights and outlets work on 110V) The floor of the battery compartment is partially rotted and the battery has a 110V cord coming off of it and is sitting loose in the battery holder. Fuse holders are rusty etc. basically the battery compartment is a mess. Will the Airstream Corp. 67 Overlander owners manual provide me with the necessary schematics to figure how to get the 12 volt system functioning?
Dreamer II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer II View Post
I am getting ready to tackle the 12 volt system in my 67 Overlander (All lights and outlets work on 110V) The floor of the battery compartment is partially rotted and the battery has a 110V cord coming off of it and is sitting loose in the battery holder. Fuse holders are rusty etc. basically the battery compartment is a mess. Will the Airstream Corp. 67 Overlander owners manual provide me with the necessary schematics to figure how to get the 12 volt system functioning?
Probably.

If it doesn't, then ask away.

People here, and a few dealers, enjoy helping others.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
FYI my '67 Globetrotter used the same aluminum "Romex" cables for the 12VDC as the 110 AC. I suspect you'll run into the same problems.
The owners manuals don't get into the specifics of the wiring. Try to find a shop manual.
I'd recommend replacing the fusebox and wiring to the battery as the first step. Then clean the existing 2 wire cables and fitting them into the new box. Don't forget to find and connect the charge line from the tow vehicle. After that you'll know what works and what doesn't. Probably most of the lights and fans will be OK.
Search the threads on all the pros and cons of the various converters out there. If the old Univolt works you can get by for a while. A modern converter, even a low end one, will charge the battery and power the system better in the long run.

Good Luck. Welcome the World of Vintage.
Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
Dreamer Too

1967 26' Overlander
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
Tom I just Googled 67 Airstream Overlander shop manual and there was into for owners manuals but not shop manuals. Where do I go to get a shop manual. Thanks for replying to my post. I am very excited about getting to know my Overlander outside and in.
Regards, Phil
Old 06-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
If I remember correctly the owner’s manual for my ’67 had enough info for basic repairs and maintenance. I’m sure there was a good picture, and diagrams, of the fusebox and univolt converter.
In retrospect I wish I hadn’t left it in the trailer when I sold it.
I got a shop manual on CD from an eBay seller out of Canada for my ’72. Just checked his “store” and didn’t see anything that old. You might have better luck searching on your own.
If you can find an owner’s manual for a ‘66-68 you should be in pretty good shape to start.
Check you PM Mailbox. I left a message for you there.

Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
I have a 67 manual with schematics, I can copy those pages and send to you if you want?

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
Dreamer Too

1967 26' Overlander
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
Hi,
I would most appreciate those pages. I will be glad to reimburse you for whatever costs you incur completing the task. Thank you for contacting me.
Best Regards, Phil

Tags
12 volt