Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
1965 30' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
rutherfordton , North Carolina
66 ambassador help, lights,electrics,etc.

My Ambassador has 4 ceiling lights that look like replacements. They are relatively generic looking 18 " long, 8" wide or so plastic double fluorescent light fixtures...very new looking inside. Two questions: are they replacements? (I could take pics). are they 12 volt or 120 v or more importantly were the originals 12v or 120v?

Second question. I'm looking for an electric schematic for this trailer as I am having to rewire the whole thing.

Thanks,
Lance
acanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
They're likely 12 volt. The originals were, and it's doubtful that somebody would go through the trouble to re-work for 120 volt just so that they could get rid of the original lights. (If the tubes themselves are fairly new, you might be able to take one out and read the manufacturer's markings on voltage.)

Rewire the whole thing? Egads, that's an undertaking that I wouldn't even consider (unless you're doing a frameoff restoration anyway).

Lynn
Old 01-27-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Hi Lance,

They probably are replacements, based on your description.

In 1966, the lights were rectangle in shape and used 12V bulbs. You can get the replacements from Andy at Inland RV.

I am not sure where you could get the wiring schematic. Is there something specifically that you need to work on other than the lights?
Old 01-27-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Try this link to see the light fixtures for your year and model.

1966Ambassador2
Old 01-28-2008, 06:55 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
1965 30' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
rutherfordton , North Carolina
Thank you. I failed to ask about the two ceiling fans which I guess are also 12v and on the same line as well the two swivel lights above what was the couch. The wiring for these fixtures appears to be the same electric wire used for the 120v outlets. I am interested in this because I am intending to make this all 120v.
The ceiling lights as I described must surely be replacements but they look very similar to the ones pictured by Steve in his link. They are just too new inside and I don't even know whether there are such things as 12v fluorescents. I'll do as Lynn suggested.

One more for anyone who is reading this...Which pex attachment system is better or can I buy the least expensive which I seem to think is the crimp system with oetiker rings....this to replumb the Ambassador.
Thanks in advance.
Lance
acanthus is offline   Reply With Quote