Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2017, 09:21 AM   #1
GlamperGirl

66-69 Aluminum wiring- is it dangerous

Would the trailer not already have had an issue? I got a warning from a person that stated due to the Vietnam war, Airstream used ALUM not copper.
I am considering a 68 Safari purchase.
Thank you!
Dena
thumbelinadj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbelinadj View Post
Would the trailer not already have had an issue? I got a warning from a person that stated due to the Vietnam war, Airstream used ALUM not copper.
I am considering a 68 Safari purchase.
Thank you!
Dena
Dena, The big question is are you going to tear out the interior walls to check for rodent infestations and their droppings/leavings? If so then replacing the wiring is done just to insure against fire hazard that the aluminum wire causes. The (most often) cause for fire from aluminum wiring is loose connections at outlets and switches or broken loose connections inside the walls. Back in the 60's they didn't use many wire connectors (just twisted and taped connections were common). The aluminum wire has lasted this long because these trailers were not in constant use. I would say that it is mainly a peace of mind issue however the safest way to go would be to replace it if you strip out the interior walls to replace the insulation. Hope this helps, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:40 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Aluminum wiring is a serious issue. Do some research and have an expert check the electrical system.

Good advice in the post above. The stories are all true about the war and the shortage of copper leading to the use of aluminum wires. Unfortunately, engineers underestimated the problems galvanic corrosion would cause with aluminum wires.

When I gutted the interior of my 1967 Overlander and exposed the wiring, I observed 3 separate spots where the aluminum wire had overheated and melted the wire insulation, exposing bare wire where it would have otherwise been hidden and inaccessible. There even appeared to have been a small fire near the front vent fan. The 30 amp cord on my trailer was cut so it could not be plugged in and tested. Probably for a good reason. Wasn't worried about the electrical because I intended to completely modernize it on my trailer.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:42 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
The aluminum wiring in my '67 Caravel is in good shape. I removed many of the panels in order to add a roof top a/c unit. While the panels were off, I inspected the wiring and all was excellent and I did not find any inaccessible splices or connections. One light fixture showed signs of wire overheating, but was mostly limited to the light fixture side of the connection.

The trick with aluminum is to clean the wire well and use a grease (i.e dielectric) designed for aluminum wiring at all connections such as junctions, devices, fixtures, appliance, panels, etc. And, maybe most important is tight connections...you are trying to stop corrosion of the aluminum forming an insulating barrier.

I am not concerned about fatigue breakage of the wiring inside the walls as the wiring is well captured against excessive movement due to the insulation in the walls.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:10 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
IMHO it's best to replace all solid aluminum wiring with stranded or threaded coper. This is based on observations when interior skin was removed from our 1967 Safari. A PO seemed to lack knowledge of electrical matters which caused shorts and small fires but the worst step he took was to connect original aluminum directly to added copper. There are special copper to aluminum connectors but I decided to go all copper.
Jim
JRF0st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:16 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Severna Park , Maryland
aluminum wiring

Yes, aluminum wiring can be dangerous. As was mentioned it's the connections that are the danger area. The danger begins, when the connections loosen, usually through corrosion, and in doing so, create a
"micro-gap", wherein, the current needs to then "jump" the gap. This creates resistance which further causes corrosion and more resistance and "heat". It's the increasing "heat" that leads to fire.
I would visit each connection and tighten them. If a receptacle, insure it's rated for use with aluminum, Yes, there are specific receptacles rated for AL use. Where there are wire nuts, remove and replace with "nuts' made for aluminum wiring. They contain a gel product that reduces corrosion tendencies. There is a product on the market called NOALOX. It's a gel product for use in regular wire nuts and "smearing" on connections. It's available at most big box building supply stores.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-NOA...-026/202276208

K&J
'08 VJ-24
RedBird64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Copper wire was used in mobile homes and quite a few houses, mostly because it was cheaper, a lot cheaper....as long as you use the grease at the ends and keep them tight it will be fine, a lot of incoming wires to the meters still use aluminum, from the light pole to my main box ,it is aluminum
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
If you cant replace the aluminum wiring, be sure to use NoLox grease and AL-CU certified outlets/switches/connectors.
Best choice is to get rid of aluminum wires completely!
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:13 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Shillington , Pennsylvania
Aluminum wire in 66 to 69 Safari

I have a 1968, 22 ft Safari and all but the AC feed is aluminum. We have not had the inside walls off so I do not know the condition of the wire in the wall. I make it a part of my spring prep to remove/open every switch (there is only 2) and every receptacle ( there are 5) and inspect them and tighten the connections. I have owned our Safari for 25 years and have never found any evidence of heat or sparking. I have converted all my lighting to LED's to lower amps and check the wire nuts on there connections periodically. I have never found corrosion or evidence of heat. I also check and tighten the connections on the breakers in the 110 panel. Still if I had the walls off I would consider switching to copper. The plug I check more frequently is the one in the kitchen where we plug in high amp appliances like the coffee maker and toaster, but I have never found evidence of heat. Good luck with your Safari. We love ours and have traveled all over the country wit it with no electrical problems
jimstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:33 PM   #10
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Aluminum wire is not and never has been dangerous. It is the connections if they are not also aluminum. The problem with AL-CU connections is the metals are dissimular and expand and contract differently causing looseness over time. This loosening is resistance and therefore heat. Here in lies the problem. Solution: use AL-CU connections. In my house built in 1967 with AL wiring, I had some of the same problems. I pigtailed the AL wire to CU connectors by using a short piece of Cu Wire twisted to the AL wire under a twist cap of the proper size. I notice the power company recently used AL wiring to supply my new line feed, meter, and breaker box. And interesting note: In my B-52 flying career I never heard of an electrical fire caused by AL wiring and there are miles of it all over the airplane. However, all the connecters were AL not CU. They are still flying today 65 years later. If you are in doubt inspect and replace. My Fire Chief friend said he has seen lots of bare AL wiring with the insulation melted away from heat, but no sign of fire. Lucky people.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:56 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
Aluminum wire is not and never has been dangerous. It is the connections if they are not also aluminum.

Good point. It's the dissimilar metals at the connections that causes the galvanic corrosion which leads to the problems. Aluminum wire is 45% lighter than copper. Pretty important when you have miles of wire in an aircraft like the B-52.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:00 PM   #12
GlamperGirl

Very good advice
-NoLox grease and AL-CU certified outlets/switches/connectors.
Will do.
I am not going to let alarmist views drive me to skin removal. Have already created my own disaster with alarmist warnings with my Globetrotter.

Many many thanks!
Dena
Old 04-26-2017, 04:59 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbelinadj View Post
Very good advice
-NoLox grease and AL-CU certified outlets/switches/connectors.
Will do.
I am not going to let alarmist views drive me to skin removal. Have already created my own disaster with alarmist warnings with my Globetrotter.

Many many thanks!
Dena
I don't think anyone in this thread is being alarmist. We have shared experiences and information that represent both ends of the spectrum when dealing with aluminum wire so you can make an informed decision.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
OP if it has not caused any problems in 50 years I think you are ok.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:40 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
OP Spent 20 years in the electrical industry. Strongly strongly advise you to inform yourself independently about aluminum wiring hazards and remediation. A home is not subjected to jostling and the kinds of temperature variations you find in an RV. Home wiring is usually touching an insulator like wood studs whereas Airstream wiring is touching metal. Rely on a professional electrician who is inspecting your specific airstream. Saying something worked for X-years so it's probably OK is exactly how you get in trouble with something like AL-CU connections.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:33 PM   #16
GlamperGirl

Hi- I can see how it might have been interpreted that I may have targeted helpful people as alarmist on the thread. It was an outside person that prompted the topic. Not a person here.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:44 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Palm Desert , California
We just gutted our '69 Overlander and it was 100% copper wiring. No damage, no wear, no hot spots.
DesertRat223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:30 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
The connections were the issue aluminum wiring. The wiring in my Trade wind has worked fine for 49 years with no problems. BUT- when I got the trailer 8 years ago I pulled every outlet box and tighten/cleaned all the connections. Most were fine but a few had some corrosion.I think the ones that had corrosion were ones that had water leaks in the area. I have had ZERO issues in 8 years.
Certainly if you have all the interior skins out, rewire with copper, but aluminum wiring would not be a deal breaker for me considering all the other great things about the 66-69 trailers (real wood cabinets, light weight, vintage style,,,,). In fact, if I ever get another AS it will be 69 or earlier.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:33 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
Aluminum wire is not and never has been dangerous. It is the connections if they are not also aluminum. The problem with AL-CU connections is the metals are dissimular and expand and contract differently causing looseness over time. This loosening is resistance and therefore heat. Here in lies the problem. Solution: use AL-CU connections. In my house built in 1967 with AL wiring, I had some of the same problems. I pigtailed the AL wire to CU connectors by using a short piece of Cu Wire twisted to the AL wire under a twist cap of the proper size. I notice the power company recently used AL wiring to supply my new line feed, meter, and breaker box. And interesting note: In my B-52 flying career I never heard of an electrical fire caused by AL wiring and there are miles of it all over the airplane. However, all the connecters were AL not CU. They are still flying today 65 years later. If you are in doubt inspect and replace. My Fire Chief friend said he has seen lots of bare AL wiring with the insulation melted away from heat, but no sign of fire. Lucky people.
guskmg
THIS ^ ^ ^

It's not the wire, it's the connections.

The wire coming in from the pole to the circuit box in my house is aluminum. I'll bet my dollar to your nickel that yours is too.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
as advised ..check all of the connections.
http://www.aluminum.org/resources/el...oks/electrical

Be cautious to take advice from others, it is only worth what you are paying for it! Free Advice well.....take a look at the signature for those giving advice.
Google is a wonderful resource
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote