Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2007, 12:54 PM   #1

1964 22' Safari
Capitan , New Mexico
'64 Safari electrical problem

I have 110 power and the lights and fans and pumps, but when I switch over to battery power at the small box in rear compartment, nothing. I put the battery on the charger at 10 amps. The volt meter in the trailer is on the charge mode. My multimeter reads 15 volts.Still no lights or fans and pumps. Is there a switch inside the trailer that I'm missing. I found the breaker box but not a fuse panel for the battery system. There is a small box that I think is the voltage converter..... Thanks Jon
jonro35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Some ideas to try.

I'm not familiar with your model, but on my '65 there are fuses and breakers for the 12v system in the very back just inside the back cover (or the "one stop access" as it was called). I have to remove the back hatch cover to access them and they are on the right side. Also, if your coach has an old univolt like mine did (the univolt is a 40lb. buzzbox that converts the 120 to 12v) unplug it, open the cover, and check the fuses in that. If it's working, you'll likely hear a buzzing noise. In any case, it sounds like a fuse is blown somewhere.

BTW, welcome to the forums! It is required (well, not really) to post some pics of your rig here to appease the Gods. --dave
Streamin 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:05 PM   #3

1964 22' Safari
Capitan , New Mexico
Required Pics

Went out to the "side yard" where I'm working on her and snapped these. The yellow thing is a generator. She's missing some teardrop marker lights. I paid $1000 for her a couple of years ago.Slowly fixing things up....Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	side a.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	39732   Click image for larger version

Name:	side b.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	39733  

Old 06-22-2007, 02:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
'64 Safari electrical problem

Greetings Jon!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonro35
I have 110 power and the lights and fans and pumps, but when I switch over to battery power at the small box in rear compartment, nothing. I put the battery on the charger at 10 amps. The volt meter in the trailer is on the charge mode. My multimeter reads 15 volts.Still no lights or fans and pumps. Is there a switch inside the trailer that I'm missing. I found the breaker box but not a fuse panel for the battery system. There is a small box that I think is the voltage converter..... Thanks Jon
The Univolt power converter is/was a box measuring about 8" (W) x 12" (L) x 8" (H), and when it is energized will hum rather loudly. If your '64 is similar to mine, the original Univolt was located in the rear one-stop service compartment nearly hidden in the front streetside corner of the compartment.

From your description, it sounds as if your coach may have a newer replacement power converter. If this is the case the shore power/battery power switch may have been disabled (I know that this was part of the new converter installation in my Overlander). In either case, the fuses are likely hidden behind a panel on the Univolt, however, I wouldn't suspect the 12-volt fuses if the devices work when connected to 120-volt AC. The first year for the Univolt was 1964, and all lights were 12-volt as were the fans, pump, and furnace blower.

When disconnected from shore power, try leaving the shore/battery power switch in the shore power mode and see if you have your lights etc. If you have a newer power converter, this could quite likely be the case.

You might also try tracing the battery cables and cleaning/securing each of the ends. I believe that there may have been a fuse(s) or resettable circuit breaker(s) attached to one or both battery cables. My theory is that if everything is working when on shore power, then the problem is between the converter and your battery.

Good luck in solving your mystery!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:26 PM   #5

1964 22' Safari
Capitan , New Mexico
Smile Working Now!!

The univolt is there,I opened it and tightened all twist connecters.I also brushed the ground after confirming 12 volts on the small circut breakers inside the battery/street power box.Then went back inside and had lights and pumps and fans!Thanks for the help!!......Jon