Old 12-17-2006, 03:25 AM   #1
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
50hz best choice power-converter

Hi the Community;
My Magnetek power converter charger is now out ... so i have to replace it for the next season. I plan now because the time to do the choice, the order, shipping to FRANCE, I think that 'll take a few monthes.
What is the best choice knowing that I use AC 240/50 hz in french campgroungs that i transform in AC 120/50hz to the power converter charger. I wonder if it's the 50hz frequency that my Magnetek has'nt accept and became out by this way.Is it really THE problem, I don't know.
I've red post in different threads that Intellipower was able to support this kind of differences but I'm not an expert.
just advice me what you think about that and, of course, thank you by advance.

Bruno.

My AIRSTREAMLIFE ning
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 03:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Hi Bruno,
I can't answer your question, but I have one of my own for you.
Is 50hz the standard in Europe? We use 60 hz here in the U.S.
Good luck with your project.
Dave

Old 12-17-2006, 06:06 AM   #3
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Hi Dave;
Yes the 50hz is the standart in Europe so I think ( and Remcolent too) that that don't disturb the work of the converter. My A/c and fridge run well in spite of they are genuine from Airstream factory or from prior owner (running at first in 60hz and now in 50hz ).
So thank you for your proposition but what is the model ?

Bruno.
My AIRSTREAMLIFE ning
Old 12-17-2006, 07:36 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
Dave is correct. The USA and Canadian standard power for consumer use is 120 volt 60 HZ. I looked in a RV catalog and could not find any power coonverter models that list 50 HZ/240 volt input. I'm not saying that there are none for sale here, but it might be hard to find them. Perhaps they're more common in GB?
good luck
Old 12-17-2006, 07:52 AM   #5
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Bruno,
Send a note to Randy (68 Overlander), he should be able to provide you with the information you need. His business website is BestConverter - Inteli-Power Converters, Inverters, Solar Chargers

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:27 AM   #6
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Damn Bruno - I will be in France on the 22nd, staying in Chartres with my daughters. Too bad I can't bring it with me and save you some time. I am pretty sure that they make a 220 volt model AND I am sure that they work as well on 50 Hz as they do on 60Hz because it is a non-inductive, solid state device.
But as was mentioned before, bestconverter is the place to go.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:27 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Bruno,
Send a note to Randy (68 Overlander), he should be able to provide you with the information you need. His business website is BestConverter - Inteli-Power Converters, Inverters, Solar Chargers
This was going to be my suggestions. Randy really knows his stuff when if comes to the electrical systems of Airstreams.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:17 AM   #8
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
done !

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Bruno,
I've just done it... Waiting now his advices .

Bruno.
My AIRSTREAMLIFE ning
Old 12-17-2006, 10:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Bruno,
We do have a 240/50 hertz converter. Its a 55 Amp unit. We've sent several to Europe already, France, UK, Germany and others. One guy I know needed if for and Airstream and I think he was in the UK.
The only other option is a US spec. converter and a transformer but that is another heavy device, at least they were when I lived in Europe.

The 50 hertz converter weighs 8 pounds and is on our website under the category "220 Volt converters" Actually the voltage range is 190-240.
Shipping to France is Global Express Mail (EMS) and will cost $50.15. That is actual postage, no mark-up or handling. Shipping time is 3-5 days per their website. Hope this helps.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:23 AM   #10
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander
Bruno,
We do have a 240/50 hertz converter. Its a 55 Amp unit. We've sent several to Europe already, France, UK, Germany and others. One guy I know needed if for and Airstream and I think he was in the UK.
The only other option is a US spec. converter and a transformer but that is another heavy device, at least they were when I lived in Europe.

The 50 hertz converter weighs 8 pounds and is on our website under the category "220 Volt converters" Actually the voltage range is 190-240.
Shipping to France is Global Express Mail (EMS) and will cost $50.15. That is actual postage, no mark-up or handling. Shipping time is 3-5 days per their website. Hope this helps.
Hi Randy;
Thank you for the quick reply.
If the frequency is not important, I already have a transformer 220/110 mounted for the converter-charger; is the 220v 55 Amp Deckmount ($255) you sell ,is better than the inteli power or other WFCO you sell too ?

Bruno.
My AIRSTREAMLIFE ning
Old 12-18-2006, 09:30 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunoffrance
Hi Randy;
Thank you for the quick reply.
If the frequency is not important, I already have a transformer 220/110 mounted for the converter-charger; is the 220v 55 Amp Deckmount ($255) you sell ,is better than the inteli power or other WFCO you sell too ?

Bruno.
Bruno, the 220/50 hertz models is a WFCO.
If you want the 110 version of the WFCO or inteli-Power, you can use the transformer.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:39 PM   #12
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Bruno, the 220/50 hertz models is a WFCO.
If you want the 110 version of the WFCO or inteli-Power, you can use the transformer.
OK Randy;
If you have a 220/50hz model, certainly it's the best choice; if not in stock, I'll take a 110 version.
So i'll order you after my come back in the middle of January...
I'm going for Christmas and New year holidays in your country... in the states but in California ( San Francisco).

Thank you one more time for your advices.

Bruno.
My AIRSTREAMLIFE ning
Old 12-23-2006, 04:48 AM   #13
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
I've made a zoom on the converter so there is no fuse board as on my old converter Magnetek...
Have I to keep the fuse panel to mount it on the new converter or is there another solution ?

Bruno.
My AIRSTREAMLIFE ning
Old 04-01-2007, 02:35 AM   #14
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Bruno,

Hi Andy;
I'm right now for the converter 50 hz you've proposed me ( $255 ), many events from the last contact... Is it always the best choice and is the shipping cost right ?.I want only shipping with USPS, NOT UPS ( there are high customs taxes to pay... ).
i'll pay you with Paypal ;

Thank you to reply asap.

Bruno ACCART
59140 Dunkerque
- FRANCE -

My AIRSTREAMLIFE ning