Old 05-21-2014, 07:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Having the ability to cool our trailer even in extremely hot, humid weather makes it worthwhile.
Fair enough. We haven't had a problem so far, but I'm sure we'll run into it sooner or later. Also, I think that second A/C replaces the Fantastic Fan in the bedroom, which we use a lot.

Quote:
The reduced cost and hassle that comes from fewer propane refills makes up for the cost and hassle of the cord, since due to quirks of the RVIA/NEC code, manufacturers can't install an electric water heater without 50a service.
Since you made that argument, I'll point out that $400 buys a lot of hot water. Our water heater doesn't use that much propane; one 30 lb tank of propane will last us through the entire season, both for hot water and cooking, until we start the furnace again, and we use our camper quite a bit. (Last year we took about 14 trips, ranging from two to five nights. Some of those were in cold weather, but most were in the May-September range, and didn't require the furnace.) We shower and do dishes using hot water in our camper, so we definitely use it.

So, at most I have one extra tank refill over the year (at less than $25), which takes 20 minutes. And, since I sold the motorhome and bought a trailer, I don't mind getting propane filled - it's easy, compared to the motorhome.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I have a large storage area in the rear of our trailer, but all cords and hoses are coiled up, and secured in the coil with Velcro wraps, and then stored in two piles, one cords and one hoses. I have a 30 amp and the 50 amp cord, and unless it's hot enough to need two air conditioners, I use the 30 amp cord because it's such a battle coiling up and securing the big cord.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Immersed in water, probably not. But if it's just randomly getting wet then drying, I wouldn't worry about it. Our rear bumper drawer gets wet, too (I have dreams of stripping off the carpet on it and spraying it with truck bedliner before it rusts out), and that's where I keep our extension cord, freshwater hoses, sewer hose, etc.

The cost of those cords is making me glad our camper is only 30 amp. Wow.
The 50a cord is so big, it nearly fills up the entire rear bumper storage area leaving little room for anything else. Also, it would be very easy to break into, and all that copper would be very tempting to a thief.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Would it work to roll it up and leave it in the trailer right at the entry on the floor? If it's that big and heavy, I doubt it would move much in travel and it would be waiting for you hen you get to your next site.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I have the 50 amp (I think 30 foot) that came with my bunkhouse.....its pretty unweildy for sure...but doable...I have a fairly large rear compartment that I simply crudely roll up the 50 amp cord...use pretty large coil so as to squeeze the roll up so it can more easily slide into the compartement which is not very wide....but even with that, I kinda have to push it in rubbing against the gasket for the storage door...

This works "fine" for me, but the more I think about it, I think I like the idea of a large duffel bag or something to put it in when taking off for the trip and simply put in back of truck or right inside the airstream....or somesuch solution....

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
I definitely understand why some would prefer two AC's, but I never thought about the cord issues with 50A service when shopping for a new AS. This thread makes me appreciate my "lightweight" 30A cordset.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #21
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Since you made that argument, I'll point out that $400 buys a lot of hot water. Our water heater doesn't use that much propane; one 30 lb tank of propane will last us through the entire season, both for hot water and cooking, until we start the furnace again, and we use our camper quite a bit.
This is one of these things that varies depending on your situation. My situation this weekend involves a stay at a full hookup campground with no bathhouse; I'll be traveling with 5 female family members and everyone including me has long hair. We'll go through a lot of hot water.

Quote:
And, since I sold the motorhome and bought a trailer, I don't mind getting propane filled - it's easy, compared to the motorhome.
It's something of a hassle for me since the only local propane dealer wants to have the tanks dropped off in the morning and picked up later in the day. They have someone stop by once or twice a day and fill them in batches. Their prices are great and with an account number on the tank they just bill it out and I don't have to come into the office, so I put up with them.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
This is one of these things that varies depending on your situation. My situation this weekend involves a stay at a full hookup campground with no bathhouse; I'll be traveling with 5 female family members and everyone including me has long hair. We'll go through a lot of hot water.
Okay, yeah, definitely the electric water heater is very useful for you then!

Quote:
It's something of a hassle for me since the only local propane dealer wants to have the tanks dropped off in the morning and picked up later in the day. They have someone stop by once or twice a day and fill them in batches. Their prices are great and with an account number on the tank they just bill it out and I don't have to come into the office, so I put up with them.
Wow, what a hassle. Makes sense why you'd want to limit the times you have to fill it.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:56 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2017 28' Tommy Bahama
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
I keep my 50A cord in the back up my truck in a storage box I bought from Lowe's. The water hose goes in first and then the cord and surge protector.
Also keep my Rotochoks there.

Rick
Old 05-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I coil mine up and put on top of the propane tanks than close the lid. I also carry my water hose there. I have the tank cover with lid. They are always at the ready

mike
Old 05-22-2014, 08:45 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We use the outside back compartment under the twin bed night stand for the "electrical" storage that includes a Furrion 36' 50 amp cord, a Furrion 15' 50 amp extension cord, a Furrion 50' 30 amp cord and about five or six Furrion adapter pigtails. We kept the ShureGard 30 amp surge protractor from the prior trailer and added their 50 amp model along with their 50 amp voltage regulator. There are also a 25' and 50' 15 amp rated extension cords in there.

The 36' cord is a load, but Furrion has a 50' 50 amp cord that would probably be more weight than I could handle.

If I had a "FB" style Airstream with the queen bed option that has storage area access behind the propane tanks or the side, I would have to put the "electrical" in the bed of the pickup (we have a camper shell).

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I can easily see how we would love a camper shell one day!

Also - just to vent - I have a storage compartment just behind the propane tanks - impossible to use! Argh

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #27
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
We use the outside back compartment under the twin bed night stand for the "electrical" storage that includes a Furrion 36' 50 amp cord, a Furrion 15' 50 amp extension cord, a Furrion 50' 30 amp cord and about five or six Furrion adapter pigtails. We kept the ShureGard 30 amp surge protractor from the prior trailer and added their 50 amp model along with their 50 amp voltage regulator. There are also a 25' and 50' 15 amp rated extension cords in there.
One of the advantages of the twin layout is the streetside baggage compartment ideally located and sized for all the various shore connections.

Quote:

The 36' cord is a load, but Furrion has a 50' 50 amp cord that would probably be more weight than I could handle.
I have never encountered a situation where there was 50 amp power available that was farther away than my 25' cord would reach. I have a "50 amp" extension cord that I sometimes use in my driveway. I also used it once when camping in a family member's driveway for three weeks while temporarily without a stick house due to real estate transactions being what they are. It's only 8 gauge, so it's not suitable for the full 50 amps, but then again my trailer would never draw that much and it's much lighter and easier to handle.

Anyway, other than those exceptional situations, I've never had a use for an extension cord for the 50a.

I carry longer 30a cords which are useful at older campgrounds where the power pedestal is shared by multiple sites. They are also useful when plugging into a regular 15/20a outlet when staying near someone's house or garage.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #28
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I have a Furrion titanium 36' 50a cord set.... it is a monster, however extremely flexible, even cold.