Old 07-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Originally Posted by Rawn77 View Post
if I'm connecting my 50A RV to a 30A pedestal with a pigtail, wouldn't I need the single 30A HOT to connect (or perhaps better to say...split) to both 50A HOTs in the pigtail?
Look at this cordset from Park Power

If the 50A RV indeed has two sides to it's circuits, the 30A single HOT wire would have to feed both sides, correct?

How do you think the above cordset is wired at the female end?
An RV wired for 50 amp service has some outlets and appliances connected to one 110v leg while other outlets and appliances are connected to the other leg. If the RV has two air conditioners. each would would be connected to a different 110 volt leg.

The 4 prong plug going into an RV with "50 amp" service is actually carrying two 50 amp circuits at 110v (HOT1 and HOT2). A 30amp RV adapter like you are considering could power either leg , or both.

If you wire the single 30amp 110v hot line from the campsite into both HOT1 and HOT2 on the 4 prong 50amp female plug, all 110v circuits in the RV would be live. Any 220v appliance would not work.

If you turn on both AC units, or power up too many 110v appliances you will be sure to kick the 30amp campsite circuit breaker.

(ps: if you buy such an adapter, look at the female end carefully. Some are 4 prong but some are 3 prong. The three prong ones are appear to be special for 50amp/220v RVs with detachable power cords. )

One like this powers both legs

2006 Safari SE FB
2000 F150 4.2L
2011 F250 6.2L
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search