Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2018, 10:39 PM   #1
wmb
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
30A Receptacle Melted Today

This was our third crisis this month so I guess they do come in threes!

When we unhooked this morning in Colorado, the 30A cord came out with a little something extra attached for the ride - one of the receptacle pins. The plastic inside the receptacle around that pin had completely melted away. There was also a nasty charred burn around the slot for that pin on the end of the cord.

It's been very hot this week and we've been running the A/C more than usual. The voltage to the trailer as measured by both a Kill-a-Watt and a pure sine wave UPS has been a fairly steady 116V, but we did have the breaker in the pedestal trip on one occasion when we absent-mindedly ran the microwave while the A/C was running.

We also have a SurgeGuard 30A 44260 on the cord, which showed two green lights for power status and the green light for active surge protection.

When we got to Salt Lake we picked up a new cord at Camping World and we're using the second receptacle on the front of the trailer until we can get to the local Airstream dealer tomorrow to pick up a new receptacle.

Anyone else seen this? Is there something else I should be diagnosing?
wmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
All you need to change those receptacles out is a screwdriver, if you are so inclined!
Old 07-16-2018, 10:56 PM   #3
wmb
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
All you need to change those receptacles out is a screwdriver, if you are so inclined!
Oh, I'm definitely going to replace it myself - it's just finding one locally that'll be the issue. I thought I'd seen that Camping World sold the gray/silver Furrion type but all they had was a generic black thing. Can't sully the Airstream with that!

Hopefully Airstream of Salt Lake will have one to sell, and they won't gouge my eyes out on the price...
wmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmb View Post

When we unhooked this morning in Colorado, the 30A cord came out with a little something extra attached for the ride - one of the receptacle pins. The plastic inside the receptacle around that pin had completely melted away. There was also a nasty charred burn around the slot for that pin on the end of the cord.

It's been very hot this week and we've been running the A/C more than usual. The voltage to the trailer as measured by both a Kill-a-Watt and a pure sine wave UPS has been a fairly steady 116V, but we did have the breaker in the pedestal trip on one occasion when we absent-mindedly ran the microwave while the A/C was running.

We also have a SurgeGuard 30A 44260 on the cord, which showed two green lights for power status and the green light for active surge protection.

When we got to Salt Lake we picked up a new cord at Camping World and we're using the second receptacle on the front of the trailer until we can get to the local Airstream dealer tomorrow to pick up a new receptacle.

I'd take the opportunity to swap out the OEM Furrion connection for a chrome model. If no one chimes in, pm me and i'll look for the link that i believe i saved..for when my time comes. Seems there was a recent post from a vintage tt that recently upgraded.
Bob
Agreed, a screwdriver swap.
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Look for a local boat place like a west marine or something, they have replacements that work. I got my stainless Furrion ones from there.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:35 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Amherst , New Hampshire
The previous owner of our trailer installed a SmartPlug. From my subsequent research this looks to be a much better connector and designed to prevent the issue you encountered.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
There was a factory recall on those plugs, did you have yours checked? Something to do with loose screws attaching the wires to the back of the plug.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
There was a factory recall on those plugs, did you have yours checked? Something to do with loose screws attaching the wires to the back of the plug.
Yup, that's what I was going to say. And it would cause that very problem.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:21 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Calgary , Alberta
If I understand your situation correctly, the problem was between the campgrounds plug in and your power cord. This condition often occurs due to poor maintenance in the campground. Your plug goes in but there is a poor electrical connection and arcing occurs and generates heat that melts the receptacle and the cord.

I think there's not too much you can do other than install a new plug on the end of your cord or replace the entire cord.

When possible, use a 50A by 30A dogbone and plug into the 50A receptacle, the 50A receptacles seem to have much less wear and tear and even if they do, you only have a dogbone at risk.

Some folks have reported that they have had problems where the plug on their surge protector also got melted. Whether or not there is net benefit with a surge protector is a whole other discussion....
Oldtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Consider SmartPlug

I read your post to mean that your trailer's primary shore-power AC receptacle (inlet) failed. When you do replace it, we can strongly recommend installing a SmartPlug plug and receptacle. SmartPlug is a listed device (ETL). We installed the marine-grade 316 stainless steel inlet. Should take < 1 hr to change, taking extra care to ensure proper polarity.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:38 AM   #11
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmb View Post

Hi wmb,

Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I think that this is the result of folks plugging in without flipping off the breaker first. I mean turning it off, I imagine that OP did a lot of the former when they found their arc-welded plug!

I've been disagreed with (the horror! ) on the use of a circuit breaker as a switch, some would say that it wears out the breaker ahead of its time. In this case, the campground is looking at having a electrician swap out the receptacle, and our OP having to at least replace the plug, and maybe more. Swapping a breaker is an easy fix by comparison! Besides, the breaker belongs to the campground, we don't have to pay for it.

While we're on the subject, I recently installed a 30A circuit tester to my shore power plug. It's a Camco PowerDefender Circuit Analyzer With Integrated Surge Protection and Indicator Lights, 30 Amp Male to 30 Amp Female. Tells me the state of the power and is an easy replaceable link in the circuit.
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:57 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Spotsylvania , Virginia
The electrician / engineer in me wants to know what other damage or problem down line caused this problem. You have a 4 yr. old trailer, something has loosened up to cause this issue or the recept in the side of the trailer has gotten a ton of use and wore out to cause the issue.

I do agree with the folks that said stop by a West Marine to get a replacement and also use some dielectric grease on the connections.
KWN306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Limited
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
santa rosa , California
That’s a great idea. Never thought of that 50to a 30. GREAT ��
tojimmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
I read your post to mean that your trailer's primary shore-power AC receptacle (inlet) failed. When you do replace it, we can strongly recommend installing a SmartPlug plug and receptacle. SmartPlug is a listed device (ETL). We installed the marine-grade 316 stainless steel inlet. Should take < 1 hr to change, taking extra care to ensure proper polarity.

73/gus
I know the op has immediate need to fix issue, but I second going to smartplug. I swapped out both inlets and went with the smartplug cable over a year ago. Great product. When the little light in the cable at the connection to AS inlet went out, they sent me a new cord. Also can’t speak highly enough about progressive industries ems. It has saved us several times from bad voltage, reverse polarity etc.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:49 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyHomemakr View Post
I think that this is the result of folks plugging in without flipping off the breaker first. I mean turning it off, I imagine that OP did a lot of the former when they found their arc-welded plug!
If I read the OP correctly the failure was at the inlet of the Airstream not the power pedestal.
I've never seen anyone break the connection by pulling the cord out of the RV before disconnecting from the pedestal, regardless of the breaker.
Sounds to me like something was loose in the receptacle and constant arcing caused it to burn up. I've had it happen at home, replaced the outlet and all was fine.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:55 AM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

It *would* be nice to hear from the OP and get clarification about which end of the shore power connection melted ...... If it's the pedestal end that's in the "this happens" category. If it's on the trailer end, indeed a bit of analysis is called for.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #18

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

It *would* be nice to hear from the OP and get clarification about which end of the shore power connection melted ...... If it's the pedestal end that's in the "this happens" category. If it's on the trailer end, indeed a bit of analysis is called for.

Bob
The OP mentioned generic black Furrion parts available from Camping World, and that they are using the front inlet instead of the main one until they replace the part so it's pretty clear it's the inlet that failed.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgebhardt View Post
The previous owner of our trailer installed a SmartPlug. From my subsequent research this looks to be a much better connector and designed to prevent the issue you encountered.
Ditto. The 30-amp SmartPlug was an easy upgrade. The only PITA was getting the new connector on the end of my shore power cable. It took some good electrical wire lubricant, a lot of force, and a thorough exercise of my sailor's vocabulary dedicated to convincing stubborn objects to comply with my wishes just to get the blankety-blank cable into the blessed strain relief. From there, it was just follow the directions and get the wires under the correct clamps. And NO, it is NOT a good idea to tin the wires with solder--that just makes the strands stiff and more likely to break under vibration...

The trailer-side receptacle fits exactly in the factory-drilled hole, down to the screw pattern and hole diameter that the old one used. The only problem was the three pounds of sealant, applied at the factory, that encapsulated the wiring inside a plastic enclosure buried in the wall. Getting that out took two hours and more use of the appropriate foul vocabulary...

The SmartPlug has a nice rubber gasket that seals the opening from the outside, and a touch of sealant around the top and sides of that gasket should be enough to keep water out. Leave a little weep space at the bottom. On my international, the power inlet is behind the shower enclosure, and the depth of the SmartPlug is such that it is right up against the backside of the enclosure. Can't be helped. I made sure the wire exits from the SmartPlug so it is not kinked, in the way of the screws, and properly routed inside.

What I like about the SmartPlug is that the connection is much more secure and easy to make, the plug and socket have gaskets to keep water out, and the cover looks really tidy on the side of the Airstream--shiny stainless steel, since it is intended for use exposed to the weather on boats. The contacts are bigger and wider, and make a better connection than the old twist-lock plug and receptacle. The plug also has a waterproof cover that ties onto the cable for convenience. The plug and receptacle latch together, and is more compact than the original.

Here's the one downside--it's a proprietary connector that you will not easily find in the local RV supply store--be careful not to lose track of your shore power cable. I also added a bigger, Camco replacement connector to the other end--it's got a nice grip handle and is bright yellow--much sturdier than the original molded one, and easier to replace if needed. I also carry a standard RV-30 extension cord for the odd RV park situation or when I want my inverter generator further away from me..
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
This happened to us while parked at home ... two days before we were leaving on a trip. The 30-amp receptacle on the trailer AND the shore power cord both charred/melted...

At the time we were plugged into a dedicated 30-amp circuit at our home and the circuit breaker in the house's circuit board tripped. We took it in to our RV guy the next morning...he pulled it and discovered that the interior connection on the trailer had come loose so the wire was free and caused the receptacle to melt around the offending prong.

Sure glad we discovered it while at home and that it was a relatively easy fix. In additional to the 30-amp receptacle on the trailer, we bought a new cord.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote