Old 02-02-2019, 11:52 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Worth , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallbergstev View Post
The style of plug used on airstreams is the same style that has been used on boats for many years. As these plugs age and begin to corrode, they tend to build up resistance. Many boat fires have been attributed to these plugs. A few years ago a new style plug hit the market in an attempt to solve this resistance problem. It’s called “Smart Plug”. You can retrofit both the Trailer side and the Cord side.
After observing some charring and melting at the trailer end of our shore power cord, we upgraded our shore power inlet and cord to the SmartPlug and I don’t look back. The manufacturer claims 20 times more contact area in the plug, reducing resistance and the potential for fire.

Note that you must replace both the inlet on the trailer and the cord.

Airstream installed ours at Jackson Center, but it could easily be a DIY project if you’re up to it.

https://smartplug.com/rv/

Jim

2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:24 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
30 amp trailer plug hot

Thanks to all. The cable is the cable that came from Mothership. The end that plugs into the RV Park power has never need the problem, the male connector on the AS is where the problem has been. Yes the female end of the power cable was changed both times that we had the male connector replaced. If we have another problem we will go with the Smart plug. Thanks for the different ideas. Will try them.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Sorry, I completely missed that the problem was on the trailer end of the cable.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:55 PM   #18
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Remember, if voltages goes low amperage must increase. This could occur anywhere down stream of the circuit protector and cause a rise in temperature. Most plastic melts @ 350 F. I have seen low grade (high resistance) shorts melt wires. If you canít make the necessary change at least lower the load. The fix it.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:40 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
The waterfront has been covered......

The three possible culprits have been covered: crud in the contacts, over current, and loose components. While not a "solution", one of the "helps" is a neat thing at Lowes or Home Depot in the electrical instrument areas, in the form of an infrared thermometer that you point at something, and pull the trigger. You don't have to touch anything, but it'll give you the temperature of the target. Neat thing is they cost less than 20 bucks. You can use them to do a quick temperature check on all your trailer's tires as well, among other things.....

Kent
Houston
Kent M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:01 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Clearwater , Florida
This happend to me 2014 27FB. I upgraded to the Smart Plug cord and recepticals. When running a electric house total amps can be close to the 30 amp max. When every one runs electric house sometimes line voltage drops this increases amps thru all the connections. Eg HEAT. The Smart Plug product is notably heavier duty. I also added the Micro Air Easy Start which seems to have reduced start and run amps on A/C. Also a line voltage meter Worst case you choose your electric consumers. Water heater and refrig can run on gas.
ChuckFeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:38 AM   #21
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Sorry, I completely missed that the problem was on the trailer end of the cable.

Al
Me too.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:40 AM   #22
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie-Bob View Post
Thanks to all. The cable is the cable that came from Mothership. The end that plugs into the RV Park power has never need the problem, the male connector on the AS is where the problem has been. Yes the female end of the power cable was changed both times that we had the male connector replaced. If we have another problem we will go with the Smart plug. Thanks for the different ideas. Will try them.

Got any old damaged parts you can take a pic of and post them?
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:01 PM   #23
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Don't Know If This Is True

We were having an issue with shore power at a State Park in Texas awhile back. The Park Ranger who fixed the problem said that alot of the problems people have with their power cords at both the power pedestal and the trailer are caused by plugging in when the circuit breaker at the power pedestal is in the 'on' position and to always make sure it is in the 'off' position before plugging in at the pedestal and trailer. For me, easier said than done. Either due to poor eyesight, bad lighting conditions and sometimes, even unmarked circuit breakers we end up plugging in when the circuit breaker is in the 'on' position. He could tell all that just by looking at the condition of both our shore power and trailer plug connections. The good news is that we've been using the same 30 Amp power cord since 2013 and it's still kicking.

Can anybody corroborate the Park Ranger's advice?
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:56 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
30 amp trailer plug hot

No. Makes zero sense. Just hook up with most of the big loads turned off on the Airstream. If this concerns you, get an EMS that will check your power connections before putting ANY load on the pedestal. Flipping regular pedestal or AS internal circuit breakers all the time is not their purpose. They are not designed to be used as switches, they are protective devices.
A decent EMS/surge protector will give you time to connect everything, it will then delay taking a load while it does its checks, Then it will safely turn on the power.
I donít bother flipping breakers, but I do carefully check the condition of the receptacle on the pedestal for signs of damage or overheating with a bright flashlight. I also stop using it if my plug goes in without much force. That says the receptacle is old and worn. Then I let my built in EMS do its thing. Itís internal relay is designed to switch loads.

Mr. Ranger is trying to mitigate poor maintenance. Get a built-in or good portable EMS and quit worrying.

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote