Old 05-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Receptical outside should be a male service connection so that when you plug in at the pole, cord at the trailer would be a female connector and safe to handle when hot.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
You got me :)

VS,

My initial reaction to your posting was "What??!!" But, I see that I have used the wrong terminology. I stand corrected.

What I have purchased is a Progressive Dynamics Power Control Center. I used the term "converter" in the generic and I see that that is incorrect.

At any rate, take my earlier post and substitute "Power Control Center" for where I said "Converter" and you should be AOK. Yep, the converter is simply that portion of the power control center that "converts" 120v alternating current to 12v direct current. As opposed to an "inverter" (which works the other direction....like you'd find in an ambulance) that inverts 12v dc to 120v ac current.

OK, so all that being said, remember that Watts = power and that amperage times voltage = watts. So, if you are restricted to 120v ac, if you want more power, you need more amps because the voltage doesn't change. Hence the ramp up from 30amp to 50amp. Even though they call it a 50amp, the power control center (not a converter ) says 55amp on it.

Anyway, you will most likely need 50amp service to run two a/c units. But I still say that if you paint your roof white and get a good 15,000 btu unit, you could get by on 30amp. Just can't run the a/c, the microwave, and a hair dryer at the same time.

See you all on the road!

Old 05-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
VS,

My initial reaction to your posting was "What??!!" But, I see that I have used the wrong terminology. I stand corrected.

What I have purchased is a Progressive Dynamics Power Control Center. I used the term "converter" in the generic and I see that that is incorrect.
Fair enough. When I first read it, my initial reaction was also "What??!!" Followed by"I don't think that's really what Jim meant."

It's really different in my 83 Excella center bath. The breaker box is in the closet across the hall from the bath and the converter is under the front window over 20 feet away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
At any rate, take my earlier post and substitute "Power Control Center" for where I said "Converter" and you should be AOK. Yep, the converter is simply that portion of the power control center that "converts" 120v alternating current to 12v direct current. As opposed to an "inverter" (which works the other direction....like you'd find in an ambulance) that inverts 12v dc to 120v ac current.

OK, so all that being said, remember that Watts = power and that amperage times voltage = watts. So, if you are restricted to 120v ac, if you want more power, you need more amps because the voltage doesn't change. Hence the ramp up from 30amp to 50amp. Even though they call it a 50amp, the power control center (not a converter ) says 55amp on it.

Anyway, you will most likely need 50amp service to run two a/c units. But I still say that if you paint your roof white and get a good 15,000 btu unit, you could get by on 30amp. Just can't run the a/c, the microwave, and a hair dryer at the same time.

See you all on the road!
I agree that painting the roof white is worthwhile. I did mine last summer with a couple of coats of Super Therm. The painted area is cool to the touch in full sun on 100°+ days.

I also have a 15,000 Btu Carrier I installed in 2008. I wouldn't call it comfortable on hot days, a second AC would be nice but just not in the cards right now. With shorts and a fan it is OK during the heat of the day. Perfectly fine at night.

I also keep it parked east-west with the bedroom, that doesn't have pano windows, on the west end. That helps too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Super Therm on Roof DSC01786.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	157399  
Old 05-03-2012, 11:29 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1998 34' Excella 1000
Arlington , Texas
50 amp conversion

We have a 34' TT and live in Texas and also found the one 13500 A/C did not cool very well in triple digit weather. I had North Dallas RV in Carrollton, Tx install a second 13500 unit in the bedroom. We took the fantastic fan out and moved it the the bathroom for more airflow, then installed the new a/c in the same hole the fan came out of. We put in a different circuit breaker panel to add another breaker for the second a/c, and installed an electrical inlet just like the new trailers come with, along with a new 50 amp cord. Both a/c's now run at the same time as long as you are plugged into a 50 amp service. If a 30 amp service is all that is available then you can run only one a/c at any given time. The results are nothing short of spectacular, no issues staying cool whatsoever, in fact you will even get cold. I know it's a long way from Florida, but the folks at North Dallas RV are Airstream experts, and did a very good job. They can be reached at 972-242-0404. Hope this helps.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1998 34' Excella 1000
Arlington , Texas
Hi just wanted to give an update in our 2nd A/C install. As I mention before we added the second A/C along with upgrading to 50 amp service. Just have to plug in one cord, like the new trailer on the back roadside of trailer and this allows us to run anything in the trailer. We just got back from a week long trip to New Braunfels, Tx where the temperature was running about 95 during the day, and with both A/C's running the front living area stayed 74 degrees with the thermostat set at the same temperature. With the bedroom set about half way down, it would keep the bedroom/bathroom area at 69 degrees. Needless to say we were very comfortable during the day and while sleeping. We could not be happier and would recommend this addition to anyone, who cannot cool their trailers.