Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
30 Amp Power Cord

I am needing to get a new 30 amp power cord.My old one burned out and melted to the connector to the trailer.it burned the white wire.the black wire covering seperated from the plug on both ends and It finally died as of yesterday.
It would be cheaper to just get a new one so I was wondering if this one should be ok or is their another that is better.Any help is greatly appreciated.Thanks.
RV Right Angle Locking Cordset - 55-3761

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
It'll do the job admirably. The original on my 25' Excella was only 35' long before an accidental amputation of 4 feet (don't ask). A 30 footer, 10 gauge x 3 conductors will work fins, so long as you have or install the matching Marinco connector at the trailer. Give PPL a call on Monday to be sure -- they are good folks to work with, in my experience. Good luck.

wil

AIR 22828
TAC ME-3
Universal Address: 97XX5 QGG5Z
Longitude: -68.814136
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Looks fine to me...it's a 30-amp cord...the important thing is to make sure the plug that goes on the trailer is a twist and lock female receiver...by "locking" in the product name I am presuming that it is. I like the handle feature...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, that should be a good cord, but why did the original cord melt? Was the connection left loose, not locked in place properly, or dirty connections. You don't want to melt your new cord too.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #5
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Cord

It is just over 5 years old.Lots of wear and tear.The black ring broke but still screwed on and it did not make a complete seal.Both ends of the cord seperated from the connector exposing the wires and I figured it was probably slowly burning itself out until this last week and burn it up.I figure just replace the cord and Airstream connector and be done with it.Everything else is fine in the trailer.Just need a new cord and connector and thats it.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Our old 30 amp cord is becoming rather 'ratty'...I recently bought on of those new Marinco cords with the right angle connector as shown in the link above - it's a good, well built cord - I've used Marinco cords for marine applications for years - they make good stuff...

Since our 78 AS has a hard wired cord, I also picked up a new receptacle to use with the new cord...

Amazon.com: ParkPower by Marinco 304EL-BRV RV 3-Wire Contoured Chrome Locking Power Inlet (30-Amp, 125-Volt, Male): Sports & Outdoors: Reviews, Prices & more

After I get the new receptacle mounted, I will be able to use Marinco's new quick-connect type collar that allows just a quick turn after inserting the cable, instead of having to thread the black connector ring till tight...

I intend to mount the receptacle behind the wheel well, through the skin, as its a short path from there to the AC circuit breaker box in the rear bath - an easier accessible option would be to mount it in place of the the external AC ground indicator light, but alas, it's on a curved portion of the rear panel and wouldn't be able to fit properly flat against the skin...

Ray
Old 11-07-2010, 10:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my cord is the same year as yours, and still like new; But a few times, it was so cold out that I was afraid to roll it up, for storage, thinking that it might actually break. One time I put it inside of my trailer to warm it up; It was so stiff, I thought for sure, if I roll it, it would snap into pieces. I wonder if the yellow cords are better in that respect.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Marinco's info says the 30 amp cords are:

"• Super flexible 10/3 cable
• Watertight molded plug and connector ends"

They are very indeed quite flexible, denoting, I would assume, high-count copper filament cables, similar to welding type cables...

The cable covers on Marinco cables are also extremely tough, I've never had ruptures in my marine cables, with all the dragging around docks and walkways over the years - like I said, a first class product - but it's also priced in the 'first class' area, as well!

Hopefully, with careful attention to hooking the cord into the trailer first, followed by connecting to the power source last (with the power source circuit breaker OFF), will lead to many years of clean, low resistance, hook ups...

Ray
Old 11-08-2010, 12:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman View Post
...<snip>....Both ends of the cord separated from the connector exposing the wires ...<snip>.....
The power source end of our cord pulled away from the original molded plug too, so we had it replaced at a dealer under warranty...they did a less-than good job of it IMHO and a used a cheap plug...it started to pull away again so I just recently replaced it again MYSELF and did a far better job with a better plug...it's done right now, it's solid and I should have a lot more good service from the cord.

I figured if I ever have to put new plugs or receptacles on this cord (and the cord itself is still good) I'll get a new 25' cord and make a shorter cord to use when we can...we are usually within 10' or 12' of the power source anyway.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman View Post
I am needing to get a new 30 amp power cord.My old one burned out and melted to the connector to the trailer.it burned the white wire.the black wire covering seperated from the plug on both ends and It finally died as of yesterday.
It would be cheaper to just get a new one so I was wondering if this one should be ok or is their another that is better.Any help is greatly appreciated.Thanks.
RV Right Angle Locking Cordset - 55-3761
For about the same amount of money, you can use the 36 foot Canadian power cable.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:00 PM   #11
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Cord

I ordered the cord today.Got caught up in stuff and was unable to call Airstream to ask about the outside connector.I would like to have one that is grey like on my Airstream but white will do if they dont use those anymore.
http://www.marinco.com/product/30a-s...rv-power-inlet

Old 11-08-2010, 10:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I went with the new style Marinco RV 'round' connector, as mentioned above...I bought through Amazon - prices are usually better than your local RV outlet, and probably better than the mother ship as well...anyway delivery was rapido...!

30A Contoured RV Power Inlet | Marinco

Marinco also has a round SS model, which is similar to many of their marine units...they have pics of all of there stuff on the link above...

Ray
Old 05-15-2015, 12:57 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
We also bought the Marinco cord and like it. But we also had to replace the receiving socket in the trailer. Due to a defective ground, the trailer socket was burned. And, the good news is that by doing this it cleared up a buzz we got in the speakers with the audio system.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote