Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2006, 07:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
30 amp cord connection in trailer side

What year did Airstream start using the 30 amp power cord connection through the side of the trailer rather than through the rear bumper compartment on some of their trailers?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:33 PM   #2
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
What year did Airstream start using the 30 amp power cord connection through the side of the trailer rather than through the rear bumper compartment on some of their trailers?
Not sure when they started, but my '57 Flying Cloud has one. I'm presently converting it to a Marinco fitting as the OEM has a 3 blade Bargman male fitting which I've never seen before and can't get a shore power cord for.
They also had them on '64' models. My '67 has the rear entry.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Murray,

If all you need is the original plug, you can have mine. It's a Bargman 60-Q-3P, 120V, 35a.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00002.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	17948  
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:30 PM   #4
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Murray,

If all you need is the original plug, you can have mine. It's a Bargman 60-Q-3P, 120V, 35a.
That's a kind offer and I'll take you up on it. I'll PM you. Thanks.
AIR #189

Old 01-27-2006, 12:38 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
that plug is a treasure!!!

Our 55 flying cloud has the connection back by the trunk, the fuses are right behind it in the trunk area. We also have one curbside up high by the door. We looked every where for that plug. I posted it on the forums too. Did get an answer to use the marine type. We did finally happen across one when we were out looking at repair shops. We bought it from the mechanic that said he had it a long time and sometimes used it for testing. I did get some great dumb looks while I was trying to find it!
Lynn
cloud55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 08:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Lynn,

I apologize, I guess I missed your previous post. I've already promised it to Murray.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:14 AM   #7
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creampuff
That's a kind offer and I'll take you up on it. I'll PM you. Thanks.
That's what I love about the Forums- it's like the Mickey Mouse Club- 'all for one- and one for all'!
I was just over in Az. and visited AZ. RV Salvage where they had several NOS Bargman power inlets of that vintage. I didn't pick one up as I didn't have the cord end. Now I'll call them back and get one shipped out!

Hey Don- does the Beaujolais pictured come with it??
Thanks again buddy.
AIR #189

Old 01-27-2006, 09:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Rear bumper compartment on a '78 Sovereign

Quote:
The '78 Sovereign has a rear trunk penetration for the umbilical.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:55 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
Happy for creampuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Lynn,

I apologize, I guess I missed your previous post. I've already promised it to Murray.
Thanks!...I know you didn't see my post. I saw that picture and I was just happy that Murray found one so fast. I did get to pick up a lot of other valuable information during my hunt! Since I know nothing any information is of great value to me...thanks you guys!
Lynn
Old 01-27-2006, 10:09 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud55
(snip) Lynn
Oh, gads. Just when I thought the world was not as crowded as I'd imagined, along comes another Lynn ...

Lynn
Old 01-27-2006, 10:10 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
Quote:
That's what I love about the Forums- it's like the Mickey Mouse Club- 'all for one- and one for all'!
I was just over in Az. and visited AZ. RV Salvage where they had several NOS Bargman power inlets of that vintage. I didn't pick one up as I didn't have the cord end. Now I'll call them back and get one shipped out!

Hey Don- does the Beaujolais pictured come with it??
Thanks again buddy.
Hi Murray,
Are you planning to keep that type of plug or will you rewire and change it out later. Just curious. I like the look of the old covers on our flying cloud. If they are as efficient and safe to use I would like to get a couple of those too. Did they quote you a price?
The Beaujolais appears to be from Jadot wineries. They used to bottle a very nice Chardonnay as well. It was a very good value french wine if I remember correctly!!! I'm still a little fuzzy on that one....
Lynn
Old 01-27-2006, 07:25 PM   #12
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud55
Hi Murray,
Are you planning to keep that type of plug or will you rewire and change it out later. Just curious. I like the look of the old covers on our flying cloud. If they are as efficient and safe to use I would like to get a couple of those too. Did they quote you a price?.
Lynn
Lynn:
Well now that Don was so kind I'll be keeping it original, and installing a NOS cover. I believe they were either $5 or $10. I'll call over and find out how many they have sitting in the bin and cost. I saw at least 4.
Since you are close by I could get them shipped together. I'm down to Orange often to hang with Uwe.
BTW I'm selling the wall furnace form my '57. Need one?
AIR #189

Old 01-27-2006, 07:40 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
The Answer

I believe the latest switch was in the 2002-2003 product lines. They moved the bumper hookup to the side. I have a 2003 model that came right during production change so I have a rear bumper with the electric cord door only, and the side of the trailer uses the Marinco receptacle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0415.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	17964  
Old 01-27-2006, 08:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I wish I knew where to get a 120V/240V 60 Hz 50 amp placard to mount over the inlet.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by campcollector
I believe the latest switch was in the 2002-2003 product lines. They moved the bumper hookup to the side. I have a 2003 model that came right during production change so I have a rear bumper with the electric cord door only, and the side of the trailer uses the Marinco receptacle.
I remember seeing a picture of johnhd's trailer/power cord and noticed that it had the connection on the side near the rear. The connector was yellow and looked like a marine connection. I didn't know if that was something that he wired up or the way the trailer came.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 08:49 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
Quote:
Lynn:
Well now that Don was so kind I'll be keeping it original, and installing a NOS cover. I believe they were either $5 or $10. I'll call over and find out how many they have sitting in the bin and cost. I saw at least 4.
Since you are close by I could get them shipped together. I'm down to Orange often to hang with Uwe.
BTW I'm selling the wall furnace form my '57. Need one?
That would be very appreciated Murray. We would like to run by Uwe's and see his latest progress. What is a NOS cover?
Not sure about the heater. Our's had been removed by a po. The layout on our flying cloud has a curbside sink and stove instead of the fridge with the heater on the side by the door. We may opt to go with something smaller as we have no good place to put a large wall unit.
Thanks, Lynn
Old 01-27-2006, 08:56 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
Oh, gads. Just when I thought the world was not as crowded as I'd imagined, along comes another Lynn ...

Lynn
I had noticed there was another Lynn on this forum. I really don't run into a lot of other Lynn's just Linda's. Since you were here first I can always be a Lyn with one n or cloud55...
Old 01-27-2006, 10:13 PM   #18
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
[quote=cloud55 What is a NOS cover?
Not sure about the heater. We may opt to go with something smaller as we have no good place to put a large wall unit.
Thanks, Lynn[/quote]
NOS stands for New Old Stock, meaning an original equipment part thats old but not used.
I just put the wall furnace on Ebay as my Plat Cat vented catalylic heater arrived today- but we can discuss heaters offline.
I will check out the B'man inlets and PM you.
AIR #189

Old 01-27-2006, 10:16 PM   #19
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
I remember seeing a picture of johnhd's trailer/power cord and noticed that it had the connection on the side near the rear. The connector was yellow and looked like a marine connection. I didn't know if that was something that he wired up or the way the trailer came.
nope that wasn't me craig.

mine has it's own compartment near the street side rear. there is a pull out tray to wind it up on. the cable enters through a bushing in the side of the compartment. directly above that it transitions to romex in a junction box.

john
Old 01-27-2006, 11:00 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Eagle Lake / Eastport , Florida / Maine
Why don't you just contact Marinco? I have one on the 50 amp inlet on my Monaco pusher motorhome and it was a retro install, the origional cord was a permenant attach and I hated it....A dealer made the change and installed the placard as well. John
Johndigbydog is offline   Reply With Quote