Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2015, 08:30 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
My opinion is that the "extreme heat" you mentioned indicates an issue bigger than simple overloading.

How extreme was this heat you mentioned?

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:15 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyHomemakr View Post
A similar thing happened to me last year. I was at a funky Florida Keys park, woke up on a chilly morning, and turned on my space heater. Evidently everybody else in the park did as well, took a bad voltage dip, and fried various breakers. I replaced all of the bad parts, and installed a decent surge/dip protector. Hasn't happened again.
Consider a surge protector as MANDATORY. I had been told by the folks who installed my Xantrex FS3012 charger/inverter that if it was damaged due to a surge in voltage and I was not using a surge protector, if the Xantrex failed, the warranty on the Xantrex was invalid.

Campgrounds, particularly old ones, often have wonky wiring, and to protect your AS from electrical damage you must use a good surge protector.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:08 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1998 30' Cutter Bus (Chevy)
Everson , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryker View Post
On my last weekend camping, there was an occasional smoldering smell and, what seemed unrelated, the main 30 Amp breaker tripped. Thinking the smell was coming from outside and the tripping was not related, simply re-set the breaker. The breaker tripped once more overnight and againth e next day.I called the service department where i bought my 2013 25' FC, and was asked if I heard the fan under the bed running. As I did not, it was concluded that my cooling fan might be not functioning. Can someone help describing how to diagnose this for sure and how to possibly change it out, and where to get a replacement.Thanks

I think the service people think your converter is bad. The smell and the tripping ( inside or out ) is what prevented your RV from catching fire so you need to find this.

If you are talking about the "main breaker outside the RV and not inside the RV in your breaker panel then this could be something else to check.

Look closely at the RV plug that plugs into the post at the site RV parks don't (for the most part) keep after the condition of there power post. If the receptacle you plugged into at the site is defective it will not make good connection this causes heat (SMELL ) and the heat can cause the breaker on the pole to trip. If you see signs of heating on your RV plug that's it.
It could look like rubber coming out around the terminals, burnt on discolored terminals. One terminal may be shorter then the other.
If in doubt go to a store and look at a new one and compare.

Hope this helps
Trident
Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:01 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Orleans , Ontario
I is the main 30 Amp breaker inside my AS that tripped. I do have a surge protectorhttp://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/portable-surge-guard-with-lcd-display-30-amp/81277specifically got it so I won't have issues at older RV parks.
Bryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:29 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Is the air intake for your converter extremely dusty? Ours was and the converter fan ran all the time and the converter was way too hit.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:02 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Orleans , Ontario
avionstream, that is a very good question. Where would I find the air intake?
Bryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:36 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Any dust accumulated on or near the converter, mine had a grated grill in front of it. Yours may be different.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote