Old 07-14-2014, 01:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Where in Canada would you need two units at the same time? I have a 31 and a single 15k BTU unit works fine in 90 degree temperatures. If you have some degree of shade and you cover or awning your windows, I can't see the need for both of them. Now if you are in out west where it gets 120 degrees then that is a different story. You might be able to get away with it but you start adding other current draws like the Fridge and the Univolt and lights etc you are going to really be pushing it. You might also burn in the adapter because that is the weak link. You are going to be getting some serious current and voltage spikes. These can cause other things to fail. If the voltage drops the current draw goes up and you can fry one or both compressors. I would expect Canadians to go south in the winter rather than the summer.

Perry

Old 07-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Send a message via Skype™ to Rawn77
Gene
I wasn't sure how many amps each AC consumed when running.
I did know that each time their compressors come on, they will use more amps than while just running; so seeing the 18 amps answers my question. It would be impractical to assume that the two AC's would never cycle their compressors at the same time over a few hours.
Appreciate the answer,
Ron

2017 Classic
4 Flexible 100w Solar Panels
3000w Magnum Hybrid Inverter
1000 Amp Hours Lithium Battery
Honda EU3000
Drain Master Sewer Connection
2017 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
Hensley
Rawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Ron, every A/C is a bit different, so to be sure, you have to check the electrical plate on the unit. It may be visible once you take off the covers for the foam filters, or you may have to take off the inside cover. That would make it too simple in some cases, so you may have to go on the roof and take off that cover. But, the information provided with the A/C may have the ratings or look up the model numbers on the company website. The model numbers should be on the unit—on the electrical plate or elsewhere. The information that comes with the A/C may be for several units and then you have to figure out which one you have—sometimes the info describes how different units look, sometimes they don't.

Watts = volts x amps. Use 120 for volts. A 20 amp circuit (common for residential receptacles and for an A/C) uses 2,400 watts. An 18 amp appliance uses 2,160 watts. If you only can find out watts for a unit, you can figure out the amps, but the plate should have amps. When you turn on an 18 amp motor, it surges well above that for a very short time (unless you have a slow start unit which costs more and is therefore unlikely). Breakers know that and won't flip right away. The A/C breaker is big enough (20 amp), but the main breaker will be the weak link (either the trailer main or the one on the pedestal).

As for using 2 A/C's in Canada, actually it does get hot and humid there for a few days at least. The Canadian Airstreams come with skis instead of wheels, but 90˚ temps and high humidity are possible even in the Arctic.

Gene
Old 07-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
We have the 2 a/c, 50 amp setup and generally we end up using only one unit. But, unfortunately the heavy 50 amp cord comes with the territory in either situation. Personally, I would not attempt to run both a/c units on a thirty amp cord. It may exist, but in an event, I've never seen a 50 to 30 amp pig tail that connects to the trailer's outlet that would provide for the use of a 30 amp cord.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The pigtail goes on the pedestal. It is only for a CG with only 50 amp service. I have one, but never have had to use it.

Gene
Old 07-14-2014, 06:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I don't have one but they make an adapter that will plug into a 30 amp and 20 amp pedestal outlets, and let you use the 50 amp cord. That would probably let you run both AC units. I should get one of those.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55025-Po...20+amp+adapter
Old 07-14-2014, 06:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I don't have one but they make an adapter that will plug into a 30 amp and 20 amp pedestal outlets, and let you use the 50 amp cord. That would probably let you run both AC units. I should get one of those.

Steve, the 30 amp breaker on the pedestal would blow. And if you used a 20 amp receptacle, it would blow faster.

You don't want another blow out, do you?

There is also a 20 amp to 30 amp adapter. I have to use it on my house because I haven't gotten around to putting in a 30 amp RV plug. It would take a lot of 10 gauge cable since the trailer and breaker box are on opposite ends of the house. Besides the work, the cost is more than I want to do. Maybe someday it will be important.

Gene
Old 07-14-2014, 07:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
a friend has a Winnebago MH that has 30a service and 2 air units. i believe it has a load shedding device that keeps both units from running at the same time.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:00 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Steve, the 30 amp breaker on the pedestal would blow. And if you used a 20 amp receptacle, it would blow faster.

You don't want another blow out, do you?

There is also a 20 amp to 30 amp adapter. I have to use it on my house because I haven't gotten around to putting in a 30 amp RV plug. It would take a lot of 10 gauge cable since the trailer and breaker box are on opposite ends of the house. Besides the work, the cost is more than I want to do. Maybe someday it will be important.

Gene
Gene, I think that adapter will work because the way that an RV is wired to use 50 amps service (actually 240 VAC @ 50 amps) is it uses each hot leg to ground, and distributes the load between the legs. There are no 240 VAC loads in the trailer, nor is it wired for 240 anywhere. So the adapter would provide one 120 VAC leg @ 30 amps, and one 120 VAC leg at 20 amps. Granted, the 20 amp leg is the most vulnerable to overload, but still it should be better than a single 30 amp service, especially if the smaller of the two AC units happen to be on the 20 amp leg.

And by the way, I'm really sick of the B word, so we don't use it around here any more. I now have the tire situation good, and all the plumbing valves replaced, and just waiting on aluminum parts from Airstream. Hope to have it all repaired by the end of the week.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Steve, let's take your trailer apart and find out.

But I see what you mean now (my elderly mind is bit slower than it used to be). When the two legs get to the trailer converter, only 20 amps would go to one leg and 30 to the other. This is unbalanced. The 30 amp leg pedestal breaker is then 25 amps at the trailer and could be overloaded if you draw more than 25 amps. This can be avoided by being careful. Same in reverse on the other leg. It sounds like it could work though the cable to the trailer might get hot if you use everything on the 30 amp leg, but the converter breaker should catch an overload. The pedestal breaker would be the weak point on the 20 amp leg. Maybe I've got that backwards.

Glad to hear your going to have the tire damage fixed before you come to Colorado. You shouldn't need A/C here.

Gene
Old 07-14-2014, 09:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:

Don't do it. They don't work. I have one and is useless. The GFI 20 amp breaker on the pedestal trips the minute it's turned on. I think the 20/30 plug might work if you had a non GFI 20 amp plug in. Maybe at an old park with old electrical pedestals.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-14-2014, 09:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
Don't do it. They don't work. I have one and is useless. The GFI 20 amp breaker on the pedestal trips the minute it's turned on. I think the 20/30 plug might work if you had a non GFI 20 amp plug in. Maybe at an old park with old electrical pedestals.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Yea, they say they won't work with a GFI outlet.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:22 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Short answer is that a 3000 watt gen will not overload a 30 amp cord so long as it isn't super long.

I don't know that I would use them both for extended periods, but I think I would for initial cool down for a couple of hours if the gen doesn't struggle too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:23 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Yea, they say they won't work with a GFI outlet.
And they are right, the GFCI will trip every time and there is no work around.

GFIC equipped 20 amp park outlets have been code required for about 20 + years, so any park without them is old, old, old, or in non compliance if they replaced the GFCI outlet with a normal one (or GFCI C/B).