Old 07-26-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
3 y/o electrocuted in an AS

Please note the link below. A 3 y/o lad was electrocuted by touching the hot skin of an Airstream.

BTW we always check our CG "pole" for electrical integrity and proper wiring before connecting. Years ago we had a brand new fiver, connected to a pole without checking and blew out $5,000 worth of equipment and fried wiring.

RV Travel Newsletter: July 26-August 1. Issue 648 | RV Travel

Much info here and in the "No Shock Zone" series.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' International
Cincinnati , Ohio
Since we are nearing the time when our project trailer will be ready for the road, could you tell us what you would recommend we use for checking the pole? Would you also recommend using a surge protector in addition to checking the pole?
Thanks so much!

Old 08-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Very sad situation!

Suggested many times ... a quality surge protector will alert you to bad CG electrical issues and will save a lot of heartache ... as well as $$$
Old 08-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino33 View Post
Since we are nearing the time when our project trailer will be ready for the road, could you tell us what you would recommend we use for checking the pole? Would you also recommend using a surge protector in addition to checking the pole?
Thanks so much!
The better surge protectors check the incoming power for you, and won't send power to the trailer if the input power fails its checks.

A quick/easy way to test the 30A (or 50A) receptacle is to use a known-good 30-to-15A adapter and a regular household circuit tester. Here's an example with photos. Obviously you'd substitute a 50-to-15 adapter, or 50-30 plugged into 30-15 if you didn't want to carry another adapter around that you'd likely never use for anything else.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' International
Cincinnati , Ohio
Thank you so much - I'll add it to our list to pick up or order.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
When we built a new house in 2005 I wanted a 30 amp 110 outlet to plug in the trailer we had at that time, a SOB. Before I had plugged in the trailer I checked the circuit box, and you got it. The electricians wired it as a 30 amp 220, even though the plug on the side of the house is marked for RV's. They did come back and made it a 110 at the panel but did not check the plug. When we got the Airstream and I was renovating it, I noticed something strange about the electric. When I turned off all the 110 breakers there would still be power at the 110 outlets. Steve at P&S trailer said I should check the hot and neutral lines at the plug and he was right.

Your idea of checking camp ground outlets with a simple 15-20 amp outlet tester is great and simple. Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:56 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
Sometimes it's Heaven , USA
I use a electrical system protector made by "Progressive Industries" It will block power from "Reverse Polarity" and other electrical issues.. About $300 as I remember.... Blocked a Reverse Polarity hookup in a State Campground no less... When I bought it I thought I was just throwing money away... Not so it turns out... Countrysong.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That is really horrifying. I have to say I have always just plugged right in when we get to a new campsite, but I'm thinking testing the outlet should be a step in my setup procedure!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Randolph , Vermont
Fulltiming for ten years, we got into the habit of checking our CG power each time before we plugged in. Was quite surprised at the number of CGs and fairgrounds that had bad power hookups. One place in Canada I got permission of CG owner to rewire things at the fuse panel for three sites. All had reversed polarity - hot on neutral and neutral on hot. Using a simple household circuit tester for testing polarity and such is so simple it should be used by everyone before plugging in. And BTW, we do have a power surge protector and have had to replace the MOVs once due to a spike which blew out computers at the campground but never affected us as the MOVs blew and protected us. They were simple to replace and readily available at Radio Shack.