Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
3 way connectors for 8 gauge 12V wire?

I've seen "T" and "Y" connectors for higher gauges but nothing for 8 gauge.

Do I just go with some big wire nuts?
Old 01-06-2015, 08:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Not sure what you are trying to connect. There are better ways than wire nuts.
You could use a "split bolt connector"
You could use a connecting block similar to those used in 120 volt AC panels for ground and neutral connections.
Both of the above would require insulating if on the positive side.
There are fuse holders as well. Look for 40 amp and above.
Another choice is a terminal block with jumpers.
A crude method is to put eyelets on each of the wires, then bolt them together with a brass bolt and nut.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
Hi TG,

I'm just connecting branches on my 12V circuits. So for example I have one circuit going to all my LED lights in the main cabin. So I have a line running the length of the room along the side, with branches T-ing in from the ceiling.

I want to keep the connections as flat as possible so they don't force me to cut around them with my rigid foam insulation. I like your tip about 3 eyelets. If I go that route can I then just wrap up the connections with electrical tape and call it good? Probably not code but....?

Thanks,
--Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150105_171809_074.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	229960  
Old 01-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
8 Guage for 12volt...? I'd check that.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I quit using connectors whenever possible. They seem to be a point for problems. Solder and heat shrink tubing are much more reliable. Of coarse, 8 guage is pretty big, so that takes a pretty good soldering iron.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I question the 8 gauge too. When soldering large gauge wiring, I use a propane torch...for the heat shrink too.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Solder???????

8AWG IS a pretty big cable for normal trailer DC loads, unless it's going from a battery to a secondary fuse block, in which case I would use a minimum of 6AWG and preferably 4AWG.

And for soldering...........that's why they make good cable eyelet crimpers and heat shrink. You can't use solder on an airplane or a boat..so why use it on a trailer????.............but it's your trailer, so do as you will..........but I won't.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwave503 View Post
I've seen "T" and "Y" connectors for higher gauges but nothing for 8 gauge.

Do I just go with some big wire nuts?
NO WIRE NUTS!!!!!

As for 'Y' connectors, I never use them either, preferring to use a terminal block with the proper cable ends like these: JB3816-3 Cooper Bussmann Junction Block Stud Red .87
Old 01-07-2015, 06:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Solder???????

8AWG IS a pretty big cable for normal trailer DC loads, unless it's going from a battery to a secondary fuse block, in which case I would use a minimum of 6AWG and preferably 4AWG.

And for soldering...........that's why they make good cable eyelet crimpers and heat shrink. You can't use solder on an airplane or a boat..so why use it on a trailer????.............but it's your trailer, so do as you will..........but I won't.
Hmmm, I made thousands of solder connections on aircraft while in the Air Force. In many cases it was the only option that was allowed per the Technical Orders. Connectors were sometimes difficult to verify that they had a reliable contact, and susceptible to corrosion. Solder rarely failed, and when it did, it was easy to identify.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Interesting............

I was told that there is no solder allowed on any commercial aircraft. It might have been a military thing. But the ABYC forbids soldering AND wire nut use for Marine use.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
The Air Force actually sent me to a week long soldering class. That was some serious over-kill. We never used wire nuts though
Old 01-07-2015, 06:58 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
On 10 ga and smaller size wire I alway ALWAYS solder, period end of story!!! I then will use heat shrink over the top to seal exposed bare wire. On connections over 10 ga I use gauge specific compression lugs and crimp in vice and then cover with shrink tape. In your case I would use these Compression lugs on each leg and use Bussmann junction stud or bolt with locking nut (as Pictured) and the shrink tape the connection.

Additionally: Never use wire nuts!

I would also add 8 ga is what I use to connect solar panels...
I use 10 gage between battery and 12 volt fuse panels to run low load items like lights, pumps, fans ext.

I use 4/0 ga between battery, gen starter, inverter, or other batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wire 3 way.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	229985  
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:52 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
OK, thanks everybody.

So 8 gauge for my 12V circuits....I'm checking it with you now. I went with it cause I kept reading posts from people saying to go big, less voltage drop and chance for breakage. It didn't cost much more so I went for it. It's not too late to redo it with 10. Is there any reason to redo it?!

Vinstream, your picture looks perfect for what I need if I stay with the 8.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:58 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Personally, I'd stick with what you've got. 8 guage can be a little tougher to work with, it's a bit of overkill, but it should work just fine with the proper connections.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
If it's done, leave it. Large gauge wiring is for circuits with high amperage loads...or SOLAR, where any small voltage drop can mean too large an amperage drop on solar panel output, where the inefficiencies are high with present technology. IIRC, most panels (that are affordable) are about 17% efficient in converting sunlight to electricity.

To ensure proper wire gauge, and not overspend on ever increasing copper cost, add up the total amp draw on a circuit and consult a wire gauge chart. I may, on some circuits go one size larger, if I feel there might be future additions to a circuit. IMO, 10 gauge is too large for most RV circuits used solely for lighting...especially LED. Water pump circuits, furnace circuits etc. demand larger gauge.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-08-2015, 11:24 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
OK, so even my 8 gauge 12V wiring is overkill, the only downsides are that it was more expensive and it's harder to work with. Functionally, it will be just as good as if I went with 10 or 12, and maybe a bit better for less voltage drop and durability.

I'm glad not to have to redo it, but a little bummed I didn't make the best choice.

Thanks again.
--Jason
Old 01-08-2015, 12:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
No biggie....just $$$$. Better oversized than undersized and have to do it over!

Old 01-08-2015, 08:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
As Thalweg stated if you got it then use it... There is no reason to redo it at this point, just make sure the connections are done correct and secured. Heavy wire seams to move around more than light gauge wire. Im glad my picture helps, sometimes pictures are way better than words! By the way you have a great year trailer, seven panel trailers are in my opinion the best looking...
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
For 10g or smaller I use crimp butt connectors, they are availible with shrink ends, but I use regular with heat shrink tubing over connection this is weather proof and will not come apart. To shrink I use heat gun from harbor frt., they are not expensive and will not damage insulation on wires, any other way will destroy wires etc. I even use under ground this way.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Since it is done, my only comment would be to not overfuse the #8 wire with high current fuses. The smaller internal wires in things like light fixtures, fans, and even water pumps must not be fused at any more than 15 amps, which then sets the limit on the fuse to even the #8 wire. You must fuse for the weakest link, those internal wires within the equipment.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v