Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2019, 09:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Mount Juliet , Tennessee
2017 22FB electrical issue and Dometic RM8505 failure

Preflighting the camper for the first outing this year (been too busy!) and discovered the Dometic RM8505 refrigerator would not operate on 110v (alarm and flashing icon shortly after power on). It works fine on propane but I did note that the 12v fan in the access compartment behind the fridge was not running when the fan switch is in the "on" position.

Further investigation revealed that the 20A GTFC breaker that feeds the refrigerator and two outlets above the sink and fridge was tripped. I reset the breaker and it tripped after a minute or so. I unplugged the refrigerator, reset the breaker and it tripped again after a minute or so. The breaker trips with no load.

I inspected the breaker and all of the connections are tight and the bus bar and internal contacts are shiny and clean. I guess my next step will be to verify that every connection at every receptacle in the circuit is tight and if they are, start isolating every conductor and looking for any type of high resistance path to ground. Last resort is replace the breaker.

I decided to power the refrigerator from a #12 extension cord I ran from the house. The control module is toast. No 110vac out to the heater, no 12vdc out to power the fan or heater. Microprocessor controlled, not repairable, $500+ to replace it

My thought is that the crappy epoxy potted heater control board failed and the surge damaged the breaker. I can't find any tech data for this particular year refrigerator. I think it was made in 2014 although I can't find a date of manufacture anywhere. The camper is a 2017 model purchased in August of 2016. I'll bet the refrigerator doesn't have 300 hours on it.

Any thoughts or a source for tech data would be appreciated. I have scoured the web and have found service manuals for earlier and later models.
2017 Sport 22FB
2015 Ford Explorer 3.5L EcoBoost
mlonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:35 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
South Shore , Massachusetts
How'd you make out? Mine crapped out too. 12v and 120v to the gray box but nothing out. RV shop wants $3200 to replace it with a RM2354. Unless they come down in price I'll try to do something myself. I'll be looking at AC/DC replacements because there seems to be more options. I am leaning towards the Isotherm Cruise 130 if I can make it fit. I need another .75" with for the cabinet.
breton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 05:29 AM   #3
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Get a replacement board from Dinosaur Boards. Easy replacement and they work just like the original boards. There is a chart on the website for getting the correct board for your fridge. Less than $200 delivered.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote