Old 07-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #15
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Thumbs up

Other's with 2012 models have had problems with the "transfer switch".

Here's a thread to ck out.

Bob

“It’s a crooked piece of time that we live in….”
John Prine
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collimare View Post
... I am ready to sell!! I can't believe all the issues we have had with a brand new 60k "premium" product. Airstream should be ashamed!!!! I know I am for having made the purchase.
So sorry to hear this is happening, and I agree that it shouldn't happen with a new Airstream. Try not to get too discouraged. (Easy for me to say, right?) I had a defect in my new Airstream that prevented me from camping for nearly two months. I had to be persistent to get to the level it should have been when it left the factory. I'm hopeful you can get this straightened out.

Perhaps you can get some answers from your dealership tomorrow. If not, contact Airstream direct. Indications are they are beginning to realize the power of social media.

WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collimare View Post
Well it all just shut off again. Had to wait a bit and then got the 20 amp working at the generator plug in. We are just going to cut our trip short and head back home in the morning. I am ready to sell!! I can't believe all the issues we have had with a brand new 60k "premium" product. Airstream should be ashamed!!!! I know I am for having made the purchase.
I'm predicting the end of Airstream in the next year or two... their dealer network is shrinking... their quality is not improving... and costs will continue to rise...

If they weren't marking them up 3x their cost, they'd be broke.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Buried in the other thread (no 110v when hooked to shore power) is my post about the automatic transfer switch. Don't give up yet. Airstream is aware of the many problems, and I'm hoping a fix is in the works. Anyway I will be getting my 3rd converter/ATS and hope I get a good one.

Don
donabston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Whatever is going on it it not normal. Even if you get working for you, document what's happening and in what sequence and all the details you can remember so you'll have that information for the techs. Sorry this has been happening to you...it is certainly no fun and is no doubt disappointing. But don't let predictions of Airstream going under in the near future throw you....that is not helpful to you in your situation. Hang in there, be persistent and follow through with stuff, take advantage of the warranty period, and it will get resolved...and hopefully you can join the ranks of those of us who are happy with our rigs.
AirForums #21900 . Prez & Membership Chair, 4CU/WBCCI
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by donabston
Buried in the other thread (no 110v when hooked to shore power) is my post about the automatic transfer switch. Don't give up yet. Airstream is aware of the many problems, and I'm hoping a fix is in the works. Anyway I will be getting my 3rd converter/ATS and hope I get a good one.

Don
Third ATS over what period of time? How often are the breaking?
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donabston View Post

Don
Hi Don,

Thank you very much for the follow-up, comments and your reporting. You are a true saint if you are on your third converter/ATS unless you are working on a lemon law application and if so more power to you. This is really what needs to start happening for the factory to take note. If they are only sending out the same replacement parts with the hope of getting you a good one it is one very sad statement to Airstream engineering and quality. WOW!!

There is no way I will take the trailer back out not knowing for sure that it will not fail again, not even if I had new free replacement parts on hand. NO WAY! I did not buy it to fear failures/reliability quite the opposite I thought it was the best in both categories.

I am leaning toward redoing the whole thing myself. New IOTA DLS-55/IQ4 (intelligent 3 stage battery charger/controller) to replace the cheap Parallax (dumb single stage) converter and a Lyght Power LPT-50 ATS rated at 50A as recommended by Jim in engineering at IOTA to replace the failing Parallax ATS. This is what Airstream should be doing at least on the ATS as a minimum.

Too bad the mystique and dreams got in the way of reality and due diligence before I made the purchase.
mtntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:44 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
I purchased my trailer on April 23. The first ATS failed on May 5. A 2.5 hour drive to the dealer plus coming back to get it after 2 weeks got me a new converter/ATS. On June 30 the new ATS failed. I will be getting a new converter/ATS later this month when the part and I meet somewhere in the lower 48.

I am at my technical expertise limit with the re-wiring, so I don't know about alternate units. I am going to play the warranty game for now. If I feel uncomfortable with my 3rd unit I can install the manual switch.

I encourage anyone with similiar problems to send an email to Airstream Customer Service. It will be easier for them pick up the trend with our stories on paper (computer?).

Don
donabston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

I just called the Airstream Free Technical Support Line and left a message regarding the repair of my non-cooling air conditioning, tank monitors DOA, and no power when the breakers are not tripped. The web site states “This is a voice mail system only. Your call will be returned within 24 hrs”
The recording stated that a "response will be within 24 to 48 hours". Here is another I had no idea but I am not going to comment on what I think about this level of customer service as I don’t want to continue to be seen as one of the "handful here who pile onto every problem with incredible enthusiasm". I'll wait to see when factory service gets back to me and hopefully it will be sooner than 48 hours.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Newport , Rhode Island
Although I've been reading the many threads that list nothing but problems, I've been silent on this site with my troubles. But like Collimare, I'm equally frustrated with the numerous quality issues and am deciding whether to continue to deal with them, or to just cut my losses and sell. Good Luck.
queenbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Collimare, I had called two different times on two different issues, and both times they had called me back within 12 hours. I had missed one of the calls and played phone tag, but they did call back.

Good Luck!
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Queenbee, What kind of issues have you had? Having the same model I am interested in knowing either what I have missed or can expect to encounter. You can PM me if you would rather.

Drew
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

I did hear back from Airstream customer service at 11:30AM and without comment she told me to call Windish RV the local authorized dealer. I just spoke with the service department at Windish and Dave told me the first available appointment was July 30th. When I hesitated he said I better snap it up as it is the only one available that week.

No 30A power, no A/C and I can’t get it in for three weeks and then how long is it in for. We did have plans that also include meeting friends.

What now, do I call Airstream back, to what avail?

Take a few days off and take it somewhere else? Where, when and how long there?
Old 07-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Jim at IOTA suggested working with Master Tech to get the correct components to fix it right. I spoke to them and they were very knowledgeable and said if I have install questions, issues or problems they are an “immediate” phone call away. I have ordered the IOTA DLS-55/IQ4 as I was planning and a 30A ATS PD5110610V from Progressive Dynamics to replace the apparent failing ATS301 from Parallax. The comment from Master Tech was the ATS301 used "box relays" not an actual contactor and he felt it was of much lesser quality/robustness than the Progressive Dynamics. More interesting was that the shore power goes directly through the normally closed contacts on the ATS301. In order for it to fail the contacts would need to "burn up". That is why mine would work on the generator input as it was going on the normally open set of contacts.

So this will maintain the correct system ratings with significantly higher quality components. Like it should have in the first place. I am still researching which upgrade Air Conditioner unit to put in it.

I will do the work myself next weekend.