Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Moorestown , New Jersey
2009 Flying Cloud Bambi 20 Solar

We are new AS owners. I have Been crawling all over, under and on top to figure out how to incorporate solar on our 2009 20 ft FC.

I found two wires marked solar below the bed in the front of the AS. How do I find the other ends, hopefully up top..

I have been reading the forums daily since October. Just got the AS on Wednesday, We live in NJ so if it is ok? I may post some inquiries thru the form for multiple topics.

Any advice or comments from the AS Forum would be appreciated. Please give direction, a new learning experience.

Chuck and Jeanie
BambiFC20LBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
Tom and Phyllis

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
The other end should be in the lower part of the refrigerator vent area. I think the colors are green and yellow, am I correct?
Lucky Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
On my 2014 FC 20' the solar pre wire is under the bed (which you located). The upper end is found by taking the trim off the front Fantastic Vent. Mine terminated there with about 18" of extra wire.

Because of clearances, I had to drill up from the bottom through the metal and the flange of the Fantastic Vent to get the wires out through the roof. I sealed them well with Dicor sealant and then sealed a 90 degree elbow designed for flex conduit over the top of that. From there I use flex conduit to my combiner box which I located under one of my two 100 watt Grape solar panels which I got from Costco (unfortunately, no longer available). I was able to fit one of the panels between the AC and the Fantastic Vent, and the other along the road side roof, long side forward. They make an L arrangement.

The interior wiring went to a Blue Sky MPPT charge controller mounted on the wall between the dinette and the foot of the bed and then connects to the other electrical systems under the bed. As there is nothing but one flashing light on the charge controller, it could have been under the bed. I use a Tri Metric meter to monitor all 12 volt power in my unit. I understand that Blue Sky has a similar monitoring system, but when I ordered mine, I was unaware of it, and was already familiar with the Tri Metric.

It makes a good system, especially when combined with a new Progressive Dynamics converter/charger section in the power panel. In the spring, I intend to change to a pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries in series to replace the two type 24's that came with the trailer. I will have to raise the cover of the battery box about an inch to do that battery change.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote