Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Rochester , New York
2008 Classic Taillight Replacement

The right hand curb side tail light had some of the LED's burned out on our 2008 Classic (31 foot if that makes a difference, queen bed). I ordered a new light and it promptly arrived. It came as a complete housing, red plastic screwed to black plastic with a pigtail coming out the back. I proceeded to remove the old light, and after some effort pulled it off, but the pigtail on the light came unplugged from the socket inside the AS.

What panel(s)do I remove to find the other end so I can plug back in and reinstall.

The male/female ends were taped together with black electricians tape, but that failed to keep them together.

In the future, I believe I will just replace the LED board (take off old LED board from old light housing, take off new LED board from new housing and install new LED board into the old housing).

Thanks in advance for any help
CharlieSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I did the same thing....fished it out with a coat hanger....carefully and after a couple hours trying. I now have a "snake" camera. They cost about $150 and A LOT easier than removing your interior and interior skins.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I replace both LED boards with new tail light units from LED4RV. I took the new circuit boards out of the new housings and installed them in the housings on the AS with the 4 screws in each housing. Used the same wire nuts to connect them. I did use the new lens. I didn't want to take the whole tail light off.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f366...ic-112817.html

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Rochester , New York
Thanks for the coat hanger suggestion. I fished around for about 15 minutes and was able to pull up the plug. New light installed with a bunch of caulk to seal up the hole. Multiple wraps of electricians tape around the connectors. I also pushed the connector up above the hole with the hopes if I ever pull this off again, it will be in a location that I don't pull it apart.

Checked lights (before I sealed up and after) and they are in good working order.
CharlieSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
IIRC, I used a zip tie to hold the connector together. I will tie it up before disconnecting next time!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote