Old 05-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2005 19' Safari
Fredericksburg , Texas
2005 Safari, Battery & Wiring Question

HI, I am a new member an excited new owner of my 2005 19' Safari.
First of all I would like to compliment the makers of this awesome site.
Bought my Safari knowing it needed a little work.

Questions, Where is the battery located? What size should it be?
Does anyone have pics of its installation with wiring or can you send me to site location of someone that has pics?

My AS was damaged in the front A frame area. Someone reworked the tongue and it looks good as new. However there is no battery box in the aframe area. I assume the battery goes in this area, since it has 2 blue wires hanging there along with a black wire going to the Auto jack going thru what looks like a fuse or switch. The 2 blue wires have been snipped and left hanging. there is also a red ground wire that is also zip tied and hanging in the air.

I have not powered up yet as my power cord should be in tomorrow.
Needing your advice and help.
JP

Old 05-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
The battery box sat between the A frame up against the front wall of the trailer, the top being flush with the top of the rails. The stock box holds 2 group 24 batteries. In front of the battery box, mounted to the top of the A frame should be a tray that holds the 2 propane bottles. I can't get pictures now, but if you do a search I know there are pictures of modifications that people have made to the stock box in order to hold taller 6 volt batteries and those give you a good view of how the box is mounted.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2005 19' Safari
Fredericksburg , Texas
Hi Johnco.
Thank you for your reply. After searching and viewing other pics I have some work to do. How do I search for specific pics of the wiring for the battery?
Thank you.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
I'd start will a call to factory. Have your serial number ready and if they have anything in PDF form they are often very helpful.
It might be a longshot, but I keep seeing blog posts from people raving about the RV park there in Fredricksburg, maybe you can find a Bambi over there with a friendly owner who will let you take a peek!
Going from memory there is only the positive and the ground coming out of the box and going into the trailer under the street side dinette seat. There is also a smaller gauge wire that comes out and runs to the power jack.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
I borrowed this image a while ago to show how the battery box should be organized.

Note the cables with the connector hoods that connect to the trailer's electrical system. There are two additional jumpers for joining the two batteries in parallel.

Also note the cable for the power jack exiting bottom left, connected to the positive terminal.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:06 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2005 19' Safari
Fredericksburg , Texas
Thank yall ever so much. The pics especially.
I am just getting in from attaching a battery box and installing the two propane tanks. been a long evening.
Johnco, yes, I need to hit one of our 5 RV parks in our town. Surely will be a AirStream in one of them.

MaxTow, thank you for the pics, That is a nice clean box.
In my set up, I think someone changed the wires around.
I have two blue heavy wires coming out to the Aframe from under the front dinette area .
I have no black or Red cables for the battery.
I will check to see if I can follow were these two blue wires go.
Hopefully they are spliced into a red and black.
Thanks again.
Jeffery
Old 05-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Thanks for starting this thread. Our trailer has the two battery boxes under the front couch, accessible from the outside. But apparently the original owner used it for boondocking, so he added a third battery on the tongue.

In ours, that box is actually a shallower box meant to put tools in. They removed the lid (assuming it had one), anchored a board to the bottom of the box, then used another board across the opening to support the third battery box. The strap for that box runs down to the bottom board, which has some things drilled into it for the strap to pass through.

It does work, but I have to keep an eye on it for rotting wood - I've already replaced the wood once. But I'd like to come up with a better solution for that third battery. One thing I've already noticed is that the group 27 battery I put in the box is smaller than the box itself - in fact, I cut a small piece of wood to drop in next to the battery to keep the battery from sliding around too much. I also found the battery box full of water (it goes in the vents on top, I assume), so I drilled four tiny holes, one in each corner at the bottom, to allow the water to drain.

Sorry if this is hijacking your thread. But, I wonder if I could make something like what Maxtow showed work on mine. I probably should get some pictures and start my own thread for suggestions.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2005 19' Safari
Fredericksburg , Texas
Hi All, Just got back from my first trip in my 19' safari,
Had an awesome time at a really sweet campground, Potters Creek at Canyon Lake Texas.
I highly recommend it.

Back to my initial problems here. Best advice.
I called Airstream. they said everything is on line an can be downloaded.
I procrastinated but finally Downloaded the manual. Best advice ever.
Opened up section G, electrical.
I found I was totally missing both positive and negative battery cables.
Went and bought 6ft each of 6AWG wire., Went to local auto store bought wire connectors and soldered them on. could be crimped but preferred soldering.

Put them on. also found two loose ground wires, not connected properly.
The two blue wires puzzling me are the brake wires.
Hooked everything up and it all worked great with the exception of all of the interior lights.
I was not gonna let that stop me from taking my first trip to the Lake.
So I loaded up and headed out with a couple of lanterns for light.

When my wife and I got to the lake we set up and I proceeded to work on finding my electrical problem on why none of the ceiling lights did not work.
I checked the fuse panels, went back to my initial problem area, all looked good. There are 16 ceiling lights in this AS. I was stumped.
Remember, I just bought this trailer and I am an Aggie.
With my wife sitting at the table I took off the first light cover. There was no bulb in it!! The second light, no bulb, the third, no bulb. I took off all 16 light covers and everyone was missing the bulbs.
My wife was laughing her tail off. and Yep you guessed it.
Here comes the Aggie joke texts and emails started by my wife.

How many Aggies does it take to change a light bulb, etc,. etc.
My phone was ringing off the wall from friends teasing me.

Well I was upset at the previous owner, but also glad it only took me 2 hours to figure out what was wrong, and that is was not a serious problem.

I do have one other issue concerning the propane. No pressure.
I only used the stove but turned it off and shut it down when I could not get any type of consistent burn.
Reading this forum, looks like I need a replacement regulator.

Thanks again everyone for all the advice.
JP
Old 05-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I wouldn't feel too bad - 16 light fixtures without bulbs seems extreme to me! If it were one or two not working, I'd think something was wrong with just those, but if all 16 weren't working, I'd suspect some sort of wiring issue too. Sounds like the previous owner bought LEDs and removed them before selling, but didn't have a bulb to put back in...

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Years ago I was selling an Airstream and put it on a consignment lot. Someone stole every bulb in the unit while it was there, and they did not sell the trailer either.

Moral: don't consign a trailer if you can help it.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2005 19' Safari
Fredericksburg , Texas
Just got pricing on LED bulbs. $11 to$15 approx.
Skater, you probably hit the nail. on previous owner yanking all the bulbs. $200 for all bulbs, I would have left them in for the new owner.