Old 11-21-2015, 07:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
20 amp fuse failure

22 ft., 2005 International.

20 amp circuit has water pump, hot water heater and monitor panel. It is blowing the fuse more often than it should.

Most recently I turned off the 30 amp main breaker to the converter, replaced the 20 amp fuse, and closed the breaker. The fuse blew immediately with none of the above 3 items turned on.

The trailer is currently plugged into a house circuit with 15 - 20 amps, 110 VAC.

Comments please.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Disconnect all the appliances at the appliance. Put in a new fuse and see what happens. If it blows you have a problem in the walls of the trailer. Take it to Airstream dealer to have it fixed. If it does not blow, If you have a ohmmeter, check each appliance for a short. Fix defective appliance.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:44 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

20 amp fuse failure

I'll be taking it in to the nearby dealer right after Thanksgiving.

I'll follow up after that.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:40 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

20 amp fuse failure

I took the trailer to my local dealer.

At first, there was no short at the fuse location where I had blown (melted) several fuses recently. A quandary for the dealer.

After running some checks the dealer discovered a problem behind the furnace.

There is a cable group that is apparently visible if you remove the two drawers from the desk in the back. To work on the bundle you have to remove the desk top and the furnace.

The problem was that the bundle had a ground wire associated with it. There was a group of solder joints right at this location. Also running nearby, but in a separate bundle was the circuit that had been blowing the fuse. Both bundles were wrapped in tape.

Apparently the cable wire `whiskers' in the fuse line had become free after 10 years of service, and had worked their way through the taping around the grounded bundle. Eventually the `whiskers' touched the ground and `POOF'.

However, the situation was such that the ground/short occurred intermittently, explaining why the fuse blew on a camping trip, but was apparently corrected by a simple fuse change. Then, after I had the trailer in for inspection, where there were no problems, fuses blew, apparently movement caused by my towing. Then, when I towed the vehicle back to the dealer the short went away, causing confusion. It was half luck and half skill that the source was eventually found.

The connections were repaired and separation of wires further enhanced by wrapping bundles with a lightweight, corrugated conduit.

The worst situation, intermittent shorts (tied for first with `more than one short').

I also found that the battery is shot, explaining the dimmed lights when running on battery power, a situation I thought might be related to the short.

Hope this helps others diagnose issues.

Shads Shack
Old 12-03-2015, 07:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I had an intermittent fuse blow issue in my Argosy. Drove me crazy. When I finally replaced the original Univolt which was in a far corner accessible only through the bottom of a closet, I found that the screws holding it in place had come out, and the hold heavy unit was bouncing up and down on the wiring bundle. When it wore through the insulation, it would bump up and down and pop the fuse, but only now and then.

As I said it drove me nuts.