Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2015, 12:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Daphne , Alabama
1995 Sovereign , Solar for Battery charge.

I would like to add a Solar unit to charge the Batterys. Help on which unit to use while in outdoor storage, and which wires to connect to.
Thanks
Tom Jansen
Castle Rock, Co.
tjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
If you're only looking to install a solar panel to top-up your batteries, then I would suggest a single 100 W, 12 V panel from Renology. You can find them on eBay for about $135 including shipping. You'll also need a solar charge controller, like the SunSaver-10 PWM, cost about $55 from AMSolar.com.

Read through everything on AM Solar's site and you'll have a pretty good idea of what to expect. The charge controller will include instructions on how to hook up the panels and connect the controller to the battery. You'll tie the solar charge controller directly to the batteries via a fuse. It's also a good idea to add a disconnect switch between the panels and the solar charge controller in case you have any maintenance to perform. There are some other odds and ends, like a combiner box on the roof, wire, feet for the panel, etc. Most of this stuff you can talk to the folks at AM Solar and they'll help you out.

If you have specific questions, fire away.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:42 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Daphne , Alabama
Alano, Thanks for your response . I can't believe I did not respond earlier. Will be working on this in a few more months.
Tom
tjansen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign