Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1987 31' Excella
Erin , Ontario
Question 1987 32' Excella - Solar power questions

We are new to the Airstream Culture , and have a 32' Excella that we will keep stationary just north of Markdale Ontario, that we go to on weekends and holidays. There are no services into the property yet and will not be for some time, so I would like to set up some solar. If I fix a panel to the roof I would get full sun approx. 1/2 of the day. If I use 2 12volt deep cycle batteries, what size of panel would I need to run some lights at night and maybe a small TV and DVD or a laptop ? I take it I can run the fridge on propane. Also is it wise to put the trailer up on blocks and if so, what is the best method ? The trailer is in fine shape and we are looking forward to spending time in it this year.

Thanks to all who help out.
RJB54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
At 45° Latitude you will want the panels sloped at the Latitude plus 23° in the summer, and minus 23° winter; and pointed square to the mid-point of your sunshine allotment, where usually it is point them due south you will want to maximize the actual sun 'window' as is presented by the site.

Remember a solar panel actually appears as a huge "STEAL ME" banner to a certain segment of the population so not only will the mountings need to be sturdy with Lake Huron weather possible it also is recommended to be stowable or removable for when it is to be unattended for any extended length.

If there is a better sun spot nearby (10-15 meters maximum) having it placed there and thicker copper wiring would be worth the work to avoid visits up on the roof and less hassle since it will be easier to access to stow it away.

Now - as to size of panels it comes down to what's your budget, expect to pay $5USD plus per watt retail, and think modular so when its time to add more a duplicate panel is readily available.

For your purposes a non-UL listed House brand "SUN" panel from Solar Panels : Solar Panels under $3 per watt Worlds Lowest Price, Buy Solar Panels at Sun Electronics, When the power goes down, the Sun comes up! is probably the most economical even after shipping, (Do you know someone in the states to accept delivery and you hand carry it back?) AND their panel price is the lowest I've ever seen, yet the biggest plus is you can choose their "Sunpower" cells house-brand that use the highest efficiency cells on the market for more power per M²...

And to cribbing up a trailer - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f457...tml#post419224 is how I accomplished it safely...
Old 04-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1987 31' Excella
Erin , Ontario
Thank you for your info,the snow will be gone by Easter Mon. and we can get at it after things dry up.
RJB54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #4
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Hi RJB54,
Be advised, Laptops are power hogs!

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote