Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2004, 10:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy tire replacement

I need to replace the six tires on my 1976 Argosy motorhome. I think that the original tires were either an 8.5 by 19 or an 8.5 by 19.5 or maybe even 8 by 19.5, but I don't remember the exact size. Can anyone tell me a suitable and reasonably priced replacement tire for this application. I have been told NOT to use radial son a Motorhome. Does anyone know whther this is good advice or not?
Thank you,
Charles
chasgould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 04:43 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Re: 1976 Argosy tire replacement

Quote:
Originally posted by chasgould
I need to replace the six tires on my 1976 Argosy motorhome. I think that the original tires were either an 8.5 by 19 or an 8.5 by 19.5 or maybe even 8 by 19.5, but I don't remember the exact size. Can anyone tell me a suitable and reasonably priced replacement tire for this application. I have been told NOT to use radial son a Motorhome. Does anyone know whther this is good advice or not?
Thank you,
Charles
Are you running tube tires, or tubeless?
I wouldn't know why you shouldn't use tubeless radials on your coach, almost every tire made these days is radial.
If you can give me the numerical size off one of your tires, I will look it up on my handy-dandy database, ( 8.5x11 notebook), and tell you what the closest metric radial size is.
You PROBABLY have 8.25x19.5 tires, but it never hurts to check.
Terry
Old 03-05-2004, 06:25 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Baghdad , Iraq
Send a message via MSN to Airstream 1975!
Smile tires

Charles, I think that year has the 235 75 r 15's. I have a 75' Overlander and the tires I pulled off said the same thing. I called the AS manufacturer and said the 235/75-15 were the way to go. I just got my tires today from tirerack.com. $77.00 Goodyear Marathons, load range D. Ordered new wheels too just to be on the safe side. Hope this helps. Rob
Quote:
Yup, just another day at the office...
Airstream 1975! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 07:39 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Tires and Univolt

Thanks Terry & Rob,
I need to clarify that my unit is a 27 foot Argosy MOTORHOME, not an Airstream trailer. The tires are 8 x 19.5, which I think converts to a 8R19.5 for the radial. I am getting prices of $180.00 to $220 per tire, which seems pretty high. I don't yet know if they are tubelesss, but I suspect that they were in 1976.
Dopes anyone know if the Univolt units are avaialbel new, and where to get them and how much they cost?
Thanks,
Chas
Old 03-05-2004, 07:59 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Re: Tires and Univolt

Quote:
Originally posted by chasgould
Thanks Terry & Rob,
I need to clarify that my unit is a 27 foot Argosy MOTORHOME, not an Airstream trailer. The tires are 8 x 19.5, which I think converts to a 8R19.5 for the radial. I am getting prices of $180.00 to $220 per tire, which seems pretty high. I don't yet know if they are tubelesss, but I suspect that they were in 1976.
Dopes anyone know if the Univolt units are avaialbel new, and where to get them and how much they cost?
Thanks,
Chas
Chas, the univolt is available as an updated version, all electronic (no hum). There are several sources online for them, just be aware that even though they are electronic, they are still quite heavy for shipping.
If your tires are 19.5, they should be tubeless, and there is no good reason not to go with the radials.
One thing to be aware of, is that no matter what tire makers say, try to keep them rotating the same direction on the MH. On some radials, if you have a tire, say, on the left front, and put it on the right front, the belts my shift, causing tread separation or a very bad wobble.
People will tell you this is an old wives' tale, but IT IS NOT.
Two identical cars, with the exact same tires, one belonging to my son, the other to me, both with the same mileage on the cars, he rotated his tires in a "criss-cross" pattern, reversing direction of rotation, I didn't. After 15,000 miles, he had replaced three of his tires due to belt shifting, I had the same set.
Other than that, replace with a good set, with the same or higher load range (should be D or E).
You will probably be surprised at how good your MH rides with the radials.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:20 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Univolt

Thanks for the tips on the tires. I have found radials (Goodyears at 172.00 each and Promaster at $145.00) Are these reasonable prices, or should I keep shopping. I need six of them! Anyone have any other reasonable source for these 8 by 19.5 tires?
Can you send me some actual links or sources for the Univolt replacements. How much do they cost? Do they just plug in, or do they require a substantial rewire. Are there any troubleshooting tips to be sure that mine needs replacing?
Thanks,
Chas
Old 03-07-2004, 03:31 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Baghdad , Iraq
Send a message via MSN to Airstream 1975!
Univolt

Try inlandrv for the univolt. His prices are pretty good. You need the original fuse panel though.
Airstream 1975! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 07:54 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

inlandrv inquiry

Thanks for the recommendation for inlandrv, but do you have an address, phone, or website URL for me? Thanks,
Chas
Old 03-07-2004, 07:55 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Never mind. I found it at www.inlandrv.com./ Pretty stupid of me. Please excuse the brain fart.
Chas