Old 02-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
North Bend , Washington
1974 Excella 500 Wiring Diagram Help

I'm looking for the wiring diagram for a 1974 Excella 500, from what I understand it is not in the service manual for this particular year. Is there a similar diagram I can refer to? Any held or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The 1974 31' wiring diagram should be almost identical, except for possibly the doorbell wiring, and a couple of other odds and ends. I'm currently working on a 1975 Excella 500, and wiring seems the same as in our '74 Sovereign. Just look for rear bath or center bath, depending on what you have.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #3

1975 31' Excella 500
waco , Texas
I just bought a 1975 excella over the weekend. Where would you go to look for the diagram? Is it a section on this site thanks? I am probably going to need plumbing diagram as well if you know where to look for it. Although I think I am going to just have to remove the underskin of the trailer and see if I can get the tanks out that way because they seem to be leaking. Also got a shock when I touched the frame so I must have electrical short as well. Think this is going to be large learning curve and long project as well.
Thanks
Old 03-28-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
Welcome to the forums. Wiring diagrams can be found in the threads concerning electrical systems. At the top of the page click on "Click to go to forums interface" and scroll down until you find the topic you are interested in. There are two distinct systems in your A/S, 12v DC and 120v AC. Each one has its own diagram. There is also a separate diagram for the wiring for you tank monitor panel if you have one. It's good to learn about both systems and how they are integrated to power your trailer and it is good to learn how to use the forum resources rather than having to wait for a reply for your questions.

Oceandog, I hope you do not have a 120v wire in contact with some part of the trailer. A similar situation can come about if the polarity is reversed at the power plug or if an outlet or switch is wired incorrectly. A polarity checker can be obtained pretty inexpensively from any hardware or big box home center. I would try that out first. Checking the power source first, then if you are using an extension cord, check it also if isn't a three prong plug. If that checks ok, then plug in the trailer and start checking outlets. It's pretty common for someone to replace and outlet and wire it backwards. Also check if you have aluminum wiring. If so make sure the outlets installed are designed for use with aluminum wire.
BaltiHimel- I used to live in North Bend before everyone in Seattle found it. Nice to be in the shadow of Mt. Si. Your wiring diagrams should pretty close year to year depending on what model you have rear bath, center bath, etc. The 12v system is the most complicated and once you know what color wire goes to what fuse its pretty easy to figure out. Forgot about tanks. What tank is leaking? If it is the water tank check the filler for a bad connection also I overfilled mine the first time and had quite a bit of water get into the belly pan which then leaked out. I thought I had a leak but not so. Depending on your trailer the tanks are in different locations. If it is a rear bath like mine both black and grey water are located in back and fresh water is located above the axles.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
Did not want to minimize the danger of 120v AC in contact with the metal of your A/S. If the polarity checks out correct at the source you probably do have a short of some kind. If you do not have experience in diagnosing this problem it is very, very dangerous to be in or around the trailer if it is plugged into 120v. A multimeter with a continuity tester should be used to find the short with the trailer not energized with AC power.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:12 PM   #6

1975 31' Excella 500
waco , Texas
Thanks I have rewired my house so have a little knowledge and plan on using a meter. I will keep digging for the wiring and plumbing diagrams. I have gone through lots of posts and have found the fresh water diagram but that is it so far. Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandog View Post
Thanks I have rewired my house so have a little knowledge and plan on using a meter. I will keep digging for the wiring and plumbing diagrams. I have gone through lots of posts and have found the fresh water diagram but that is it so far. Thanks for the replies.
Airstream has service manuals for many of the older years.

The Excella models were, if you wish, a sample of the next years International models.

But, back then, most of the systems were identical for a 31 as they were for the Excella's.

Those manuals, would certainly put you closer to an answer, than just a ball park.

Andy
Old 03-30-2010, 08:42 AM   #8

1975 31' Excella 500
waco , Texas
Thankis Andy
I found some manuals on ebay for 1975 airstreams. I did find a website with one posted for free for a 1978 so I may try using it first to see how close it is to mine.
I noticed through my reading so far your company sells parts so I am sure I will need some in my project. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Arrow Go Figure

Hey O'dog,
Trust Me.......
the manual for the '75 Excella-500 is in the 1976 Service Manual (go figure why).
Likewise the manual for the '74 Excella-500 is in the 1975 Service Manual.
I do not know when this anomaly stopped nor why it ever occurred, but would like to.

Since you are a Texan (native I hope) PM me your address and maybe I can help you out. I think I have a 1974 on CD and I think my burner may still work. All out-of-staters send CASH as I hate to stand in line at the post office for (or with) foreigners..

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #10

1975 31' Excella 500
waco , Texas
Thanks Drummer
If you do find your cd let me know. My email is lmdowns@sbcglobal.net. If it is not a huge file maybe you could email it? I am in Waco so a little to far to drive to houston or I would come get it and check out your airstream. I think I may end up gutting most of mine ( to fix plumbing and electrical ) and starting over with making new stuff for the inside so if you are needing any interior stuff let me know.