Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tallahassee , Florida
1974 Control Panel Gauges

I have two defective liquid level meters on my 1974 Airstream's control panel and I want to replace them. I have not been able to find replacement meters. Does anyone know where I can buy new gauges? Does anyone know what the ohm ranges are for these meters?
The 1974 service manual p.205 has the part numbers listed as 05362 for the fresh water tank and the gray water tank.
There are no manufactures names listed on the gauges.
I can read the numbers 484403 stamped in ink on the back of the gauges.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWeilhammer View Post
I have two defective liquid level meters on my 1974 Airstream's control panel and I want to replace them. I have not been able to find replacement meters. Does anyone know where I can buy new gauges? Does anyone know what the ohm ranges are for these meters?
The 1974 service manual p.205 has the part numbers listed as 05362 for the fresh water tank and the gray water tank.
There are no manufactures names listed on the gauges.
I can read the numbers 484403 stamped in ink on the back of the gauges.
Sorry, but those gauges have not been available for many years.

Rarely however do the gauges go bad, but dirt, corrosion and the like attack the probes that are in the tanks.

If you look at the schematic on page 206, you can see that if you disconnect the plug and simply sick it in a cup of water, that you gauges would then work.

That would confirm that the probes need cleaning, and/or replacing.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
The gauges themselves might be fine, it's possible the sending units or tank sensors might be not working properly. I'm not exactly sure how to troubleshoot them, but maybe spend the time finding out which specific components are defective before you spend your dollars replacing a part that's actually OK.

Good luck!

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tallahassee , Florida
The gauges were removed from the control panel and tested. They are actually defective. The probes and the wires from the probes are functioning properly.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tallahassee , Florida
I have found a source for the new gauges for my 1974 Soverieign Control panel:
Allied Electronics
7151 Jack Newell Blvd. S
Fort Worth TX 76118
They have a website.
The meters for the 1974 gray water tank black water tank and the fresh water tank are:
Shurite
Panel Meter
P/N 8336Z
Remove the white metal faces from the old meters and place them onto the face of the new meters.
I replaced the meters, filled the three tanks and adjusted the scale to read "F" (full). Everything works great!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tallahassee , Florida
There is a small hole on the face of the control panel gauges (ohm meters) which adjusts the scale for the ohm meters. It may need to be adjusted to "E" when the tanks are empty. When the tanks are filled to a safe level (not overflowing). Adjust the scale to read "F".
I place ice cubes in the empty black water tank while traveling to clean debris from the sensors. I'm sure there are also chemical cleaners available.