Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2004, 05:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question 1972 Control Panel woes!

The Ammeter and Battery Check meters, which are installed side by side in the control panel of my 1972 25' Trade Wind, are not working. The Battery Check meter looks like there are some broken parts rattlin' around inside the unit. I am not sure what's going on with the Ammeter. And, since most of the light bulbs are also missing in back of the control panel, I wonder if the whole thing needs re-wiring or repair? Are replacement parts even available for these things?! Why would someone remove the light bulbs and not replace them? Well, at least the water pump switch works! The clock (despite a new battery) and the temperature guage do not work either. In fact, it looks like trying to get at the actual temperature 'probe' end (where ever that end might be) might require a major disassembly of the interior skin just to get at it. It just does not seem to want to pull out of the tube it is installed in. Any ideas where the end of the temperature sensing end might be and how I get at it? Tom
TMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 06:26 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Lake Worth , Florida
Send a message via AIM to RiskIt Send a message via Yahoo to RiskIt
Control Panel

Tom, I also have a 72,25' TradeWind that I'm restoring. My control panel seems to be in about the same condition you have. I am also looking for some help on replaceing/fixing what I have and any idea's on replacing it with something more moden. I can tell you this.... the temp. prob. wire is atleast 6 - 6.5" long. Mine wasn't conected on the inside of the body and it came out all 6+ feet off it. Have know idea what/where it conected too.

Send some pic.'s of your A/S I'd love to see another one.

I also have some questions on the charger/inverter.
RiskIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 09:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I'm in the same boat as you two. I did find light bulbs at my local auto parts store. They take size 1445, 12v light bulbs. Everything works on mine except for the black water tank which has a short and is always lit and the temperature gauges. I, too, would love to learn more about these things, especially about the temp probes.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 09:09 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I believe if you look closely under the coach in the front, near where the spare would be mounted you will find the outside temp probe. It only hangs down an inch or so.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 08:29 PM   #5

1972 29' Ambassador
Sumner , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
I believe if you look closely under the coach in the front, near where the spare would be mounted you will find the outside temp probe. It only hangs down an inch or so.
Brett G. is right. The temperature sensor is mounted on the front street side on the exterior of the underbelly. A nice feature that is in my '72 Ambassador is that AS installed a 1/2" black plastic tube to aid the removal and installation of a new temperature probe. You can probably (I'm not sure) purchase a replacement temperature sensor assembly from InlandRV or from Airstream. Then use the original sensor wire to pull the new sensor from the inside to the outside. I chose to install a digital sensor instead and found the job was rather easy. After installing the new sensor be sure to plug up the hole with some plumbers putty to keep out dirt dobbers and moisture.
TSandersParis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 09:49 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I replaced my thermometer with an inexpensive Oregon Scientific indoor/outdoor thermometer. I think it was $17. I just pulled the new sensor through with the old sensor line. Most of my panel works, but the indoor/outdoor thermometer. Never tried putting a new battery in the clock as the new thermometer has a built in clock, as well as the new CD player/AM/FM radio.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 05:28 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

I'll see about sending some pictures. I don't have a clue about the inverter! I did find the temperature sensing probe under the road side of the trailer. It looks like it might also be contained within a plastic tube. Maybe replacement might not be that bad! I'm still working on the rest of the control panel. And still looking for a 'Land Yacht' emblem to replace one that is missing off the trailer.Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskIt
Tom, I also have a 72,25' TradeWind that I'm restoring. My control panel seems to be in about the same condition you have. I am also looking for some help on replaceing/fixing what I have and any idea's on replacing it with something more moden. I can tell you this.... the temp. prob. wire is atleast 6 - 6.5" long. Mine wasn't conected on the inside of the body and it came out all 6+ feet off it. Have know idea what/where it conected too.

Send some pic.'s of your A/S I'd love to see another one.

I also have some questions on the charger/inverter.
TMiller is offline   Reply With Quote