Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2015, 07:32 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
1969 Overlander with electrical issues

Our 1969 Overlander is having trouble with power.
1. All electrical items function when plugged into my truck tow system.
2. Battery and Shore power - only a few lights and the outlet plugs seem to work. Fans and 1/2 ceiling lights and bedroom lights are out. ????

Checked fuses, battery has 12volts and power coming in from wall plug.

I recently removed the furnace and that electrical is now just capped. Not sure if it has anything to do with the issue.

Brought to my mechanic who did work on some refurbishment and for over an hour he was stumped too.

Any thoughts on what to check or why everything works when plugged into truck but not on shore power?
quinnkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
1969 Overlander with electrical issues

Sounds like bad connection(s) on the house battery and converter side. If you have the old glass type fuses check to make sure they are tight in their holders. Check the ground connection where the house battery cable is connected. Clean the battery terminals.
If you are reading only 12 volts at the battery it is not fully charged.
If you have an old Univolt converter. It's time to upgrade. IMHO.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:44 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Thanks - will check the ground side of the battery. We changed the positive cable and that wasn't it.
There is a newer model converter and modern fuses. All seem in order.
The batter actually shower 12.85 volts if I recall reading my mechanic's volt meter correctly. Basically he said it was fully charged and putting out good power.

I certainly am not an electrician - so if silly question please forgive - but battery connections will affect the shore power connection?
quinnkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The battery will not effect the shore power connection. However, virtually everything in the coach is 12 volt. Except for the 120 volt outlets and the air conditioner.
If the house battery reads 12.8 volts it is fully charged. The fact that all systems work when you are connected to the TV leads me to believe there is a problem between the battery and the DC panel or there is a problem with the negative side of the system where the battery connection is made, either at the battery or at the frame.
What is the voltage out of the converter when connected to shore power? Are you sure the converter has the needed 120 volts to operate?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Sounds fundamental but you should also check the plug assembly for the shore power. Mine which was original to the 1969 trailer was slightly melted and was disconnecting periodically not to mention the safety topic. We put a new plug on ($80) and everything was working again at least until the converter went out but that's another story for another time
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote