Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Del Rio , Texas
1968 Control Panel

Can anybody provide a wiring diagram for the 1968 26' International Overlander. My trailer trailer has this control panel and everything works except for the toilet holding tank water level indicator lights. I have tested the lights and the switch which is depressed to activate these two red and yellow lights and every thing works. However, it does not "sense" the water level in the holding tank, neither empty, half or full. I think the lights are not grounded correctly, but I don't know how these lights and switch are supposed to be wired. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is driving me crazy that this is the only thing on the Control panel that does not seem to work properly.

Thanks,
Dan
68-Ovrlndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I have a 68 Trade Wind. You have a better chance of reforming congress than getting the indicator for the holding tank to work. Apparently, holding tank indicators are more of a great idea than a workable idea. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Del Rio , Texas
OK...I found a copy of the wiring diagram of this control panel with the forum, and my toilet holding tanks lights are wired exactly as per the diagram. Why are they not working? I cannot figure it out!
Thanks,
Dan
Old 10-25-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
chances are there is "stuff" stuck around the metal contacts in the tank, or the contacts are rusted etc. All those contacts do is detect low voltage being provided by the bottom-most terminal. As the "stuff" level gets higher, more contacts are wet, each contact turns on the next light bulb for the next level etc. Got the ones on our 69 working, but seems like at least once a season some wet toilet paper or something gets over there and makes the tank read full.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have found that a flashlight is the best tool for determining the level of the black tank.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Del Rio , Texas
Scott,
Yea...that's what I thought too...But I have taken the whole assemble apart and cleaned the contacts very well (very little corrosion to begin with) carefully reassembled the thing and reinserted it into the tank. Still nothing.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Del Rio , Texas
Richard,
Yea this is what I also often do, but forgive the pun here, I am anal about these sorts of things.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Try driving around with a few bags of fresh ice cubes in the tank and enough water to make them float.

Hey, it can't hurt, and it's been listed on the forums many times as a potential cure, however temporary it may be...
Old 10-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
1976 Argosy 24
Olsburg , Kansas
Thumbs up

Well it sounds like all of the replies so far are pretty accurate from what I can tell. When I bought my trailer the black water tank light would not work but the fresh water tank lights did work. On the first long outing with the trailer to the mountains the lights on the fresh water tank decided to not work and haven't since. Several people have since told me that same as other posts here to clean contacts if possible, but seems like a lot of work. My simple way to check the black water tank is to look down into the stool after flushed of course and see what the level looks like. If you have submarines close to the top, then it is time to send them out to sea.

The fresh water tank is another story, I don't have a easy idea for fix for that. Maybe some type of dip stick down the filler tube???? If you find a good solution, please post it.

Have a great day and time camping in your AS
clydecrashcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
figure out which wire is the send (not the various receive) wires and confirm voltage at the control panel then again at the tank. You can also jumper with a screwdriver at the tank across the terminals and see if you can light it up
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:57 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Del Rio , Texas
I know both lights (red & yellow) are function, because I have "jumped" across them and they light up nice and bright. Same for the push-button switch, it has good voltage when activated. I have removed the sensors and cleaned them very well with steel wool (they look new now). I have have gotten both of the lights to glow a very very little on a few occasions, but the red light is always less than the yellow. I tried to simply remove the sensor and insert it into a glass of water, simulating my tank of various levels of fullness and this also only occasionally yield so very dimly lit lights. First of all I guess I don't understand how this system is supposed to work. What are the mechanics behind this types of indicator light system? Does anybody out there with this Central Control Panel actually have their black water indicator lights work. My fresh water holding tank lights work beautifully, however I notice that they are connected through a series of "resistors?". But the black water tank indicators are not...why is that? Don't they work in the same way. Knowing Airstream strive for quality (even in 1968) I am sure this system was tested and shown to work, at least when new. Therefore I should be able to get it to work today.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 10-26-2009, 09:19 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
1976 Argosy 24
Olsburg , Kansas
Smile black water tank light not working

I am guessing that the best person to contact would be Andy from Inland in California for a possible answer. He is very good at answering questions. I believe he does posts on the site and the other as forum site. Give him a call and he may have a answer other than what has been posted. Good luck.
clydecrashcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:23 AM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Have a look at this thread. In post #10, 87MH posts all the necessary schematics, assuming that your 1968 setup is similar.

Tags