Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2015, 10:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
1968 Central Control Panel specs

Hello everyone! I'm looking to the Air Forums community for help in finding a Central Control Service Manual for the Central Control in our 1968 Sovereign. We're in the process of trying to bring our recently purchased AS "back to life", but I am having difficulties understanding how this Central Control is wired and how it works. Of course, that also means my electrical knowledge is sadly lacking overall. Our 'Central Control' is located directly above our Magic Chef stove which is directly across from the kitchen sinks.

In reading thru the original manual that came with the AS when we purchased it, the manual refers to a "Central Control Service Manual". Can anyone please direct me as to where I can find/purchase a copy of this manual?

Thank you!
cheetah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:00 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Colorado Springs , Colorado
There is a wiring diagram inside that may help depending on what needs repair.
I recently worked extensively with mine (also '68) and have some extra parts that you may be able to use.

-Daniel
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:52 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Thank you Daniel. I hope to be back home by Sunday and will take a look at that Command Center again. Could you please tell me what exactly you mean by " there is a wiring diagram inside" - as in where "inside" should I be looking?

At this time, I am missing the clock from the Command Center. I have yet to test all the circuits - especially those that tell me the levels of the water and black water tanks!

Could you please tell me what extra parts you have?

Thank you,
Chester
Old 09-18-2015, 10:33 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Northborough , Massachusetts
I did not re-use mine.

While "cool" it was too dated... I simply mounted a new piece of paneling and put in all new services. Granted I have a strong electrical design background so I can re-design easily. The original tank monitoring system is antiquated and prone to fouling... I replaced it with a SeaLevel II. I replaced the original amp-meter with LCD meter with more functions besides amps. I did not replace the clock since I have my cell phone. I used a Marine grade 100amp DC 12 circuit panel to replace the antiquated one in the AS. I put in new switches for the pump and hot water heater. I also added solar and an inverter which the original panel had no provision for... all into the same space as the original. I still have space to add a charging station for my various i-devices. I originally wanted to replace the clock with an ipad and be able to monitor every system from it and my cell phone remotely but ran out of time and energy to be this aggressive. Maybe on the next one.

I still have my original one intact... and will probably have no use for it other than as a conversation piece in my work shop.

Chuck
cwbiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:29 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Hello Chuck! Thank you for your response. I wish I had a fraction of your knowledge and talent, but unfortunately...!

If I were to try to find someone in my area that might be able to do what you have done, could you give me a recommendation as to where to look or how to start that search? Companies?/Individuals?/Way to word help wanted ads?/etc? I live close to the Minneapolis / St. Paul Mn area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You mention you still have your original one intact. The face of ours was starting to corrode when we bought this trailer, and I would love to be able to replace it should we keep it for what it is. Would you consider selling yours to me as you have no use for it? Please let me know.

Thank you,
Chester
Old 09-19-2015, 11:01 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Depends upon what you consider as corrosion...

Mine "looks" like it is corroding, but it is only the clear coat that was actually giving out and allowing the surface of the aluminum sheet it was made out of to oxidize similar to the shell of an old Airstream.

See Picture provided...

Yes I'm willing to trade it... what I need is a reading lamp for the front.
Plain aluminum, I have a line on a couple of Gold anodized ones but that is not what I need. Also see pictures provided...

We each pay our own shipping... and that's it. Find one for me or if you have one trade it to me...

Thanks

Chuck

PS... No pictures provided, they keep failing... I suspect a lack of available disk space. I will try again tomorrow to upload them.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:35 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetah1 View Post
Thank you Daniel. I hope to be back home by Sunday and will take a look at that Command Center again. Could you please tell me what exactly you mean by " there is a wiring diagram inside" - as in where "inside" should I be looking?

At this time, I am missing the clock from the Command Center. I have yet to test all the circuits - especially those that tell me the levels of the water and black water tanks!

Could you please tell me what extra parts you have?

Thank you,
Chester
My panel was hinged on the right and secured with two screws on the left. Remove the screws and the panel swings open. My panel had a wiring diagram pasted inside.

I have some new transistors for the fresh water lights, battery condition and ammeter gauges with gold backgrounds. I have a replacement clock that will fit into the old opening. I will need to check if I have anything else.

Id like to see the panel cwbii made if the uploader will cooperate. I can't upload photos either. Linking to flikr or similar seems to work.
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:01 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Wasn't planning to post pictures of my current solution... but I will.

The current solution is just a piece of paneling that matches the rest of my paneling with the various gizmos and switches mounted into it. The wiring/fuse panel is behind it mounted to the inner shell wall... easily accessible from the cabinet to the left. My DC current meters (3) are mounted to the fridge vent (hand made from aircraft aluminum) inside the cabinet. There's still plenty of available room in there to keep the coffee maker, tea pot and some other counter stuff. I have not finished the sliding doors for this space... I'm cutting down a couple of magnetic white boards to provide this function as well as a place to keep the shopping and to-do lists.

Chuck
Old 09-20-2015, 09:50 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Pictures???

Here's the promised pictures from last night/early this morning...
After looking closely at my Airstream console I should probably not offer it to you as it is pretty much past restoration, even though it looks ok.
The clock is a battery powered one and I have no clue if it is operational.
What I thought was an aluminum face plate was in fact aluminum paint on a steel face plate. Then the lettering is put on that and clear coated... the clear coating is failing exposing the paint and it significantly changes color where this happens similar to the way Airstream's oxidize. If I were to re-do it I would remove the steel face plate and use aircraft aluminum instead.
I would probably also make a silk-screen template to do the lettering so that I could manufacture more than 1 face plate...In time I may do this as part of a series of replacements of old Airstream specific parts I want to re-manufacture and sell on the side.
I will honor the offer if you really want it ... but I would prefer to keep it as the original I make the improved knock-offs from.

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-09-19 20.09.34.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	248516   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-09-19 20.03.39.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	248517  

Old 09-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Hi Chuck! Thank you for the pictures. What's showing on your control panel is identical to what is showing on my control panel - although mine seems to be starting this process in a few spots as the "corrosion" is only in a very few corner areas. I appreciate the offer that you originally made, but I can also appreciate what you are hoping to do with it. I'll hold on to mine for now - but please keep me in mind should you get to that project of creating a replacement for this part. I would want to be one of your first customers!

I'll also keep my eyes open for the aluminum light you are looking for and I will let you know as I find one.

Chester
Old 09-20-2015, 10:07 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Present control panel pictures...

Here is my current solution... from various angles. It is still somewhat a "work in progress". Notice the 3 "current meters", the 2 upper ones monitor my 2 solar system banks and the 3rd monitors the usage by the 12v circuits (except for the inverter which has its own separate monitoring via the panel console for it) I have 5 different battery monitoring devices and they all read very close to each other.

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2015-09-20 11.06.02.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	248522   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-09-20 11.05.45.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	248523  

Name:	2015-09-20 11.06.10.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	248524   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-09-20 11.06.34.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	248525  

Old 09-20-2015, 06:56 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Closer inspection...

When I looked at the finish really closely it actually appears to be a form of contact paper/decal and it is peeling away from the steel in a couple of places... Airstream really cheaped out on this original construction.
This is the primary reason it does not stand up well... I doubt you will find a good one anywhere after the passage of time that has occurred.

Chuck
Old 09-20-2015, 10:26 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Thank you Chuck. I am going to continue the hunt for a viable replacement for this command center - whether it is along the lines of yours or what Ironwood did with his. Thank you for your responses and help!

Chester
Old 09-21-2015, 06:45 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
The one Ironwood did is really a nice piece of design... Maybe the person whom made his face plate would make another? Ironwood kind of suggested this. Did you ask? You would still need to put all the other stuff back in or replace it with new... and that might be a little more than you are familiar with.

Chuck
Old 09-21-2015, 09:44 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Hi Chuck! I did contact him and received a reply back tonight from him. It looks like he would be willing to work with me to get a close duplicate of what he had put together. As of now, that seems the best route for me to go. Thank you for your insight and your help. I'll still keep an eye out for a silver reading light for you!

Chester
Old 09-24-2015, 02:44 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Miami , Florida
I have an original Control Center from a 68 Overlander that I am replacing with marine panels like what cwbii did. (Though nowhere near as hi tech on the solar and inverter system!) It is in good shape, but it's not the "gold" finish, it's a faux wood finish. If you're interested, I will figure out how to post a photo to the forum. Or PM me with your email or cell so I can send you a photo from my phone.
TurkeyRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:09 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Sammamish , WA
Hi, I'm hoping you were eventually successful in finding one of these manuals. I'm looking for it too. Please let me know! thanks!
rprobst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:50 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Hi! Unfortunately, I did not! My old panel is still in place and almost all of it seems to work. I still haven't replaced that clock! Good luck on your search!

Tags