Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2006, 08:08 AM   #1

1967 26' Overlander
Blountville , Tennessee
1967 Overlander 110v rewire

The old circuit breaker panel had two breakers and the AC was wired to the hot side of the panel with no breaker except for one on the other end of the land line plug. I installed a six breaker Square D panel above the new electric water heater in the bathroom closet and ran new wires from the new panel to the inner panel at the rear access where the existing AL wires disappeared to make their runs. I installed CU wire with the proper connectors. The outlets in the kitchen and front cabin do not work due to a short and or broken wire from the rear inner pannel to the front. The bathroom and univolt circuits work fine.
I am trying to identify the first outlet in the series to run a new wire from the new breaker panel to this outlet under the twin bed from the rear closet. I have not been able to determine which outlet is the first one in the seriess to attach the new wire. I do not want to remove any of the inner skin if possible.
Any suggestion would be apprerciated.

TNBUBBA
TNBUBBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:17 AM   #2
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I just started upgrading the electrical panel in my '60. Although I don't have a short problem like you describe.

First thing I would do is pull every outlet loose from the wall and extend them out as far as the wiring will allow. Just to get them off the skin. On my trailer the outlets were originally tapped around them so they could not touch the skin. It's possilbe that's were your short is.

If not, you should be able to see the ac wire looping from outlet to outlet. You could remove say the outlet in the middle and see which side your short is on to isolate it that way.

Lastly, they make a wire toner, not too expensive (less than $100) that you attach the tone generator to a wire and use the tracer on the other unknown wire end to locate it.

Good luck with your upgrade!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1967, 1967 overlander