Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2006, 11:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Sandia Park , New Mexico
1961 Safari Electrical Questions

Hello All,

I just purchased, what I think is, a 1961 Safari. I know it's a Safari, but I'm not quite sure of the year. I'm trying to understand the electrical system in the Safari, so I have some rudimentary questions that I hope some of the expertson this forum will answer.

1) Is there a battery in the 1961 Safari? If so, where is it?

2) Are the interior lights 12 volt or 110 volt?

So far, I've found the breaker box which is attached to a long cable stored in a long thin compartment on the RHS (door side). I'm in the process of replacing the cable.

On the LHS, there is a small compartment with what looks kinda like a charger or inverter. The electronics look ok, nice and clean.

3) Does anyone know what the function of the electronics in the LHS compartment is?

4) Are all the interior outlets 110V?

Thanks in advance
Steve

BTW, I've got a blog going with pics. It's airstreamdreams.blogspot.com
sdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 12:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hello,

Welcome to the forums!

I can't give you any advice on your make/model... I can tell you we have a 1963 Bambi (much smaller) and the original electrical system in there was way below useful! I think we had one 15 amp circuit, a few lights were 12 volt and the rest shore power. We did have a battery in a seperate battery box that had an access door from the outside. In 1961 they didn't have closed cell batteries, so my guess is your battery is somewhere accessible from the outside... but it is a guess. Ours was a sealed box the battery was in. Our water system had a pressurize pump that also ran on the electrical or 12 volt system.

I am sure soon folks more in the know will answer you! You might use the search function on the blue toolbar at the top, key in something like electrical system and the hits you will get will be threads that have that phrase appear somewhere in them. Read away, you may find the answer!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiddy
... I just purchased, what I think is, a 1961 Safari. I know it's a Safari, but I'm not quite sure of the year. I'm trying to understand the electrical system in the Safari, so I have some rudimentary questions that I hope some of the expertson this forum will answer.
1) Is there a battery in the 1961 Safari? If so, where is it?
2) Are the interior lights 12 volt or 110 volt?
3) Does anyone know what the function of the electronics in the LHS compartment is?
4) Are all the interior outlets 110V? Thanks in advance, Steve
BTW, I've got a blog going with pics: airstreamdreams.blogspot.com
Hi Steve:

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the Forums. I can't read your trailer's serial number on your blog, but if you post it here we should be able to verify the model year.

1. Your Safari has the "Land Yacht" trim package as stated on the serial number plate, so it originally had a 12 volt battery, most likely mounted on the front outside center panel underneath the front window. Look for rivet holes there for the old battery box and its supports.

2. Both. The original light fixtures were dual voltage, one side 12 volts dc and the other side 110 volts ac. Both light bulbs used the standard edison screw in base. The 12 vdc light bulbs should still be available at any good RV store.

3. Should be a Univolt that converted 110 vac to 12 vdc for the 12 volt circuits when the trailer was plug into city power.

4. All household looking standard electrical outlets originally were 110 vac.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
I'd say it's either a 1962 or 1963 Safari from the photo's on your Blog. The wheel wells and name plate seem consitant with this era, but the recessed trail lamps do not seem consitant. Could they have been replaced at some time in the trailers history? I would expect "wedding cake" tail lamps to have been original equipment on a trailer of this era.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:34 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Sandia Park , New Mexico
Thanks for the info

Thanks to everyone,

The SN for my Airstream is 223T113 and the nameplate has Ohio on it.

I also looked on the front and didn't find any open holes or indications of braces, etc.

S
sdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Thanks to everyone,

The SN for my Airstream is 223T113 and the nameplate has Ohio on it.

I also looked on the front and didn't find any open holes or indications of braces, etc.

S
Based on the serial number I would say that you have a 1963 Ohio built Safari... http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...ari/index.html

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
... I also looked on the front and didn't find any open holes or indications of braces, etc. S
That's because by 1963 Airstream moved the battery from the front panel (where it was in 1961) to somewhere indoors, but I don't know just where. You'll have to ask some '63 owners.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:17 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
That's because by 1963 Airstream moved the battery from the front panel (where it was in 1961) to somewhere indoors, but I don't know just where. You'll have to ask some '63 owners.
Ours has a battery compartment outside, next to the furnace housing, under the kitchen sink cabinets

Tags