Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2006, 11:44 AM   #1

1960 22' Safari
Brooklyn , New York
1960 Safari 22 - New Owner Electrical ?s

Hi Group,

Its my first post here and I'm sure these are very rudimentary questions but I know nothing. Thanks in advance for any answers. I've tried a couple searches but haven't found specific answers.
I just bought a 1960 Safari 22. It has the dual electrical system which seems very groovy especially the light fixtures. I had to do a quick once over and then go home which is two hours away from the trailer. So I'm trying to find out as much as I can before I go back (no Internet there). My plan is to get the AC electrical systems going first. Here are a few hopefully quick questions:

HOOKUP-
I noticed a male electrical connector in the rear. I don't remember exactly what it looked like. I'm assuming from surfing that I'd need to get to get a standard 30amp Female to 15amp male adapter, Does that sound right?
Also, I do remember the plug being three pronged which would suggest a grounded system but all the interior outlets are two pronged.
Is there a simple way to ground things or do I live with the two prongs?

FUSES-
-Where are the AC and DC fuses located? BTW, I noticed two screw in fuses under the front table's bench seat. Not sure if those are original and Haven't had a chance to examine them closely.

WATER PUMP-
-I also noticed what looks like a small DC water pump next to the front fresh water tank. Is this what I'll need to get going for water pressure?
How does it know when to turn on and off?
What kind of 120 to DC converter do you recommend for it?
Or is there a better system?
I also noticed an air valve next to the fresh water intake valve. The previous owner said he used to get temporary pressure with a bike pump.

Again, Thanks in advance.

-Bradford
B Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Ok hello B Reed ,welcome aboard and congrats on you 60 safari .

The hookup ,the rear recepticle takes a special bargmann (brand) plug.
It is special and no other plug will fit it . Is it possible you might have the power cord somewhere in the trailer ,Id look for it .I had a couple of these plugs but others here have gotten them .So then you can refit a newer style
recepticle to your trailer with a matching plug .I like the original ,and i have one on my 60 trdwnd but alas ,no extras right now.the interior lights are indeed 12v and 110 ,they are not grounded as todays plugs are but I have
used them as original without any problems .there are 2 circuit breakers that
are 15 amp also in the rear inside the trailer near the rear power receptical.
there is a small grey metal box they are mounted in with a little light bulb on top of the box ,may be missing though (the bulb).Under the front gaucho if it has it
there will be a small fuse panel consisting of 2 round fuses ,they look very antique and they are ,but they work great .They are house fuses and are for the 12volt system .The small air pump ,usually red in color is the freshwater
pump (pressurizes the tank ),the wall switch on the front curbside by the front window is the switch for the air pump ,only wall switch there ,looks like a light switch in your house .You may find 2 small toggle switches 1 near the upper part of the door inside and the other close to the light fixtures towards the front forward of the door ,one is for the 4" round outside scare light and
one is for the small porchlite above the outside of the door .I would get a
good look into that freshwater tank to check its conditon. Our was crap and
needed replaced ,Sugarfoots trdwnd tank is good so she can use it .you get access from the outside waterfill ,that whole faucet bib and cap come off
and may be difficult to remove ,you turn the large base of the assembly to
unscrew the cap for refilling away from city water ,once off a good light
like a mini maglight to try to look in side for corrosion and crud ,if any ,its a gonner,some were aluminum and some were galvanized in regards to the tank
The small black appendige on the small air pump is the regulator that stops it
or bleeds off the air pressure at 45 psi,it will do it automatically .Grover is still
in business today and still makes these pumps .Others Im sure will give great advice on upgrading to a newer setup with tank if needed as well as the converter,your trailer does not have any type of converter as original but can
certainly be upgraded as well ,and that advice will also be posted im sure .
Lastely ,that small air valve on the outside is for a bike pump to manually pressurize the tank ,these rigs were designed to work even without the 12volt battery ,I carry a spare external compressor if need be just for that .
how about some photos ? we all love the pics!!

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:15 AM   #3

1960 22' Safari
Brooklyn , New York
WOW thanks so much Scott!
amazing info
the mysteries of my AS revealed
photos coming soon
-B
B Reed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags