Old 08-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
here to day gone to Maui , Florida
15 or 30 amp?

I dont have much experience with electrical work. We have a 1977 28' Argosy. Is this a 15 or 30 amp setup?
thanks so much
Patrick and Heather

Old 08-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
It is setup for 30 amps. If you can locate the 120 volt power panel. The main circuit breaker will have a number on the handle. Also the power cable is much larger than your typical extension cord.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
That's awesome info for us, thank you!
Old 08-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you have an air conditioner on the trailer and plan to power the trailer to run the A/C unit. It is best to have it plugged into a 120 volt 30 amp power source.
There is a special and unique receptacle available for "travel trailer use only". You can find them at Home Depot.
If you decide to have a dedicated receptacle for your trailer and have a professional do the wiring. Make sure he/she understands that the power required is 30 amps at 120 volts. NOT 240 volts. The receptacle I mentioned above is clearly marked 120 volts.
Do not attempt to run the A/C on a circuit rated for less than 20 amps. And certainly not thru your typical household extension cord. All wiring must be rated for the heavy load required by an A/C unit.
Serious damage to the A/C unit will occur with underrated power.
Good Luck
Old 08-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
I really appreciate that because with my lack of knowledge I thought it was 220 volts because of the shape of the plug. It's the same as what hooks into a dryer. We need 60 feet, sounds pricey but you definitely have to do it right!
Old 08-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Your standard 30 amp shore power cord is 10 gauge wire. You can buy RV extension cords that are also 10 gauge wire, but they only extend an additional 25 or 30 feet, giving you 50 to 60 feet total assuming that your shore power cord it 25 or 30 feet long as well. You say you need to go 60 feet. But 60 feet to where? Is that to your main circuit breaker panel in your house, or to the outside of your house/garage where you are looking at plugging into?

I'm asking, because if the distance you're going to run back to your breaker panel is significantly longer than 60 feet, you should bump up the thickness of the wire from 10 gauge to at least 8 gauge (smaller number is a thicker wire) if you plan on running the a/c in your trailer. Ideally, bring the 30 amp outlet out to your trailer so you do not need to use an RV extension cord if you can afford to do so and local building codes allow.