Old 04-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Jackson County , Missouri
12v transformer question: 78 Stream

Howdy Folks:

I am restoring a 78 Sovereign Land Yacht.

The battery was shot. The interior forward exhaust fan was shorted out. The previous owner pulled the fuse.

When I took ownership, I noted the transformer was cooking hot when everything was hooked up and running. The trailer is hooked up to 110v.

I suspected the transformer may be damaged. I pulled it and had it tested out. The electrician says the transformer is putting out 14v fine. I re-installed transformer and purchased a new battery.

When I plugged the unit back in, the transformer is humming loudly, like when you first hook up a battery to recharge. I checked the status panel over the stove. The panel says the battery is low\dead.
(and it's not, it's new...)

I voltage tested the two heavy cables during reinstall. I have them hooked up the right way.

I am new to this trailer. Do I disregard the status panel over the stove and live with this? I don't want to. I like all my little gizmos working good. I pulled the plug on the transformer and pulled the batter cable for now until I know I'm not heavy draining or over-charging the new battery.

Can anyone offer some suggestions what should be done next? Much obliged everyone.

<humbly bowing>

page.crow

Old 04-09-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Sorry I didn't post this in the electricals sub-forum. I'll cross-post this there now if now one minds. Best Regards, page.crow

Old 04-09-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
In my 71 and 73 the battery guage in the Master Control Center read low. With the 110 not connected put a meter on the battery. A full charge should be 12.75- 13v. Discharged would read between 10.5 and 11.

The humming is normal.

Consider upgrading to a 3 phase converter. They are more efficient, are silent, and don't boil (overcharge) batteries which can ruin them.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Your NEW battery would not come with a full charge so the converter would attempt to bring it up and thus the converter is running hard, hot and noisy.

What I would do is remove the battery and put it on a battery charger until it is fully charged. Now hook it up to the rig and check the panel. If the panel still read low it is a problem in the panel.

Before you hook up the battery to the rig, and with the converter on, test the polarity output of the converter to to make sure it is correct. Hook up the battery using that polarity check. This will ensure the battery polarity is correct.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by page.crow View Post

Do I disregard the status panel over the stove and live with this? I don't want to. I like all my little gizmos working good.
This world view is common to banjo pickers. It has something to do with the compulsive need for constant tuning.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Ahh now, don't be "pick-in" on us banjo players. We gotta eat too. <grinning>

OK, another question: Please tell me about "the 3-phase converter" you mentioned. I'm new to Airstreams, but I'm quick on the learning curve. Is there a replacement\upgrade converter for these Airstreams I should know about? This converter is unacceptably loud with the humming & buzzing. The noise dominates the space inside. I find myself unplugging the unit while I'm in my trailer. I'm thinking about installing a swith so I can turn it off easily when I enter the trailer. I know that's not how it's meant to be used, but it's that unpleasant. Is there a upgrade converter? Thank you for sharing your knowledge on this issue.

(I know banjos & hot rod Ford engines.)

page.crow
Old 04-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Your original Converter/charger has a heavy transformer to drop the voltage from 110 volts to 12 volts that is then converted to DC voltage to run the stuff in your trailer and charge your battery bank...

Unfortunately, these old converters don't provide for a 'float' type battery charge, once the battery has been fully charged...if you keep the converter running in this condition, the elevated voltage will continue to 'boil' the electrolyte away inside the battery, exposing the plates, drying them out, causing material to flake away, destroying the battery!

Newer, three-way converter/chargers have a 'bulk' charge to bring up discharged batteries quickly, then go into a 'finishing' charge to top them off, and then go into the 'float' charge routine that keeps your batteries completely charged without boiling away the electrolyte...all automatically, so they help keep your batteries in good shape while you're plugged into 'shore power'....

check out www.bestconverter.com to see what they offer for your trailer - they are very up to date and will reccommend a unit for your AS...I bought a new converter/charger from them for our 78 AS, and couldn't be happier!
Old 04-13-2009, 08:52 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
We just installed an intellipower converter today in our 72. It makes NO noise. It is wonderful. We bought ours from www.bestconverter.com too.
My husband used the fuse panel from the old univolt which made it very easy to install.

Annette
Old 04-13-2009, 11:08 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cape Coral , Florida
Absolutely dump the old one and call Best Converter. They'll help you select a modern converter that is best for your rig and they stand behind their units if you ever have a problem. I have firsthand experience and highly recommend them.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:43 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Dear Ladies & Gentlemen:

Thank you very much for your advice & recommendations. This is my first Airstream. And I got into it in a BIG way. I bought the '78 31' Sovereign with the rear-bath.

I will indeed upgrade to the 3-phase converter. Glad I found you all. Much obliged.

I had no idea when I purchased my Airstream that I also bought into a gang of wonderful peoples! <grinning> You all are very helpful.

My first trip is coming up in a few weeks. I'm a single dad taking my two teenage kids from Kansas City to Cedar Point roller coaster park. I've just about brought this trailer up to par. I have rebuilt, remodeled and done what I can to wring a few more miles out of this cool trailer. It's gonna be a hoot.

thank you,
page.crow
Old 04-14-2009, 06:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Ditto on the above comments about replacing the Univolt and checking out Best converter.com. The owner is a forums member and there are also a few more members who do this kind of work, but I can't remember them right now. Maybe someone else can chime in here. There are 3 or 4 possibilities in 3 phase converters. This is the time to consider if you are going to need to increase your original electrical set up for other appliances etc. If so, depending on how often you are not hooked up to shore power, you might want to increase your battery capacity. Also consider if you want to upgrade to AGM batteries or stay with flooded cells. Certain brands of converters are better suited for particular configurations.

Your OEM set up in your 78 I would guess is for 30 amps and 1 100 amp hour battery. This is marginal for most folks present needs. I upgraded to a 45 amp Intellipower with a 200 amp hour AGM battery. This is pretty basic but will run a small flat panel TV and a few other items for a weekend. Others have opted for even more capacity. There are plenty of threads on the subject
Old 04-14-2009, 07:11 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Wow. I've been over to the website www.bestconverter.com. They really do have the stuff. Thanks. Ok, check this out:

"When installing a modern converter, you will not have use of the AC power-on light found in most Airstream control panels." (quote from bestconverter website)

Where is this "power-on light" they are referring to? I know my way around the trailer now.

Also, I was pleased to find a decent selection of 12-volt LED lighting on that website. I was planning on retro-fitting my own LED lighting to replace the bulbs above the sink. Does anyone have a good recommendation of another supplier for a round-disc loaded with LEDs that I can trim to fit and wire in? Cost baby! $30 for a dome light is steep in my opinion. Radio Shack?

Thanks folks! See you out on the trail.

page.crow

ps: Here's a little recommendation from "fly-over" country: Stockton Lake in Missouri. Gorgeous! It's my home away from home. Stockton is a sailing lake. Few speedy boats or jet skis (quiet). Corps of Engineers lake, so no commercial buildup around the lake. The cleanest water, visibility for 10 foot. Nice little campgrounds and electrical hookups for the Airstreams.

This is Osage country. The land around Stockton was inhabited by the Osage tribe for centuries until the white men killed them off. This is also bushwhacker country: The Missouri Partisan Rangers roamed these hills and plains. Gorgeous country that we Missourians generally keep to ourselves. Come to think of it, forget about it... <grinning>
Old 04-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Much obliged Lumatic. I didn't think about increasing the electrical needs for 12 volt. I was looking around the trailer thinking, "There isn't that much needing 12 volt..."

I already bought a new battery from Autozone. I used Autozome because they are EVERYWHERE when you need them. I went with a standard wet deep-cycle battery.
And they are pretty good about exchanges & refunds.

Looks like I'm buying a converter today. <grinning> This is fun!

crow
Old 04-14-2009, 07:23 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by page.crow View Post

"When installing a modern converter, you will not have use of the AC power-on light found in most Airstream control panels." (quote from bestconverter website)

Where is this "power-on light" they are referring to? I know my way around the trailer now.
I don't know about 78 but the early 70s had a small light on the master control panel that went on when the coach was plugged into shore power. The easiest workaround I have heard about is just put a small nightlight in one of the 110 outlets. You could also plug in a small 110 to 12v transformer and wire that to the original circuit in the Univolt.

Tags
12v, battery charger, transformer