Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2007, 07:38 PM   #1

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
12 volt wire fishing

I have a 2005 25' Safari LS front bedroom. I have one Fantastic Fan in the living room, and a crank open vent in the bedroom. I would very much like to install second Fantastic Fan in the bedroom. I am ready to order a Model 6600 with the remote.

I read all of the past threads on this topic. Per the information contained therein, I hoped to find a hot 12 voly pair in the vacinity of the current bedroom ceiling vent.

The other day I removed the interior trim ring on the vent and searched for wires. I looked both above and below the insulation all the way to the support ribs. I was unable to find anything; very disappointing. There are two one inch square holes cut in the front-to-rear ribs. The radial ribs to the front and rear of the vent appear to be solid. The hall light and the bedroom ceiling light are on the other sides of these radial ribs. Am I missing something? Do I need to look again?

If I need to fish a wire from elsewhere, how would I go about this? I would even consider running an external conduit to power the fan if necessary.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:09 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
it may be easier just to remove the center skin of the cieling and run the wires that way. unless there are bulkheads in the way.

contacting the factory might be your best bet to find the nearest source that you can tap into. that would give you an educated choice as how to proceed.

john
Old 02-15-2007, 04:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
I have a 2005 25' Safari LS front bedroom. I have one Fantastic Fan in the living room, and a crank open vent in the bedroom. I would very much like to install second Fantastic Fan in the bedroom. I am ready to order a Model 6600 with the remote.

I read all of the past threads on this topic. Per the information contained therein, I hoped to find a hot 12 voly pair in the vacinity of the current bedroom ceiling vent.

The other day I removed the interior trim ring on the vent and searched for wires. I looked both above and below the insulation all the way to the support ribs. I was unable to find anything; very disappointing. There are two one inch square holes cut in the front-to-rear ribs. The radial ribs to the front and rear of the vent appear to be solid. The hall light and the bedroom ceiling light are on the other sides of these radial ribs. Am I missing something? Do I need to look again?

If I need to fish a wire from elsewhere, how would I go about this? I would even consider running an external conduit to power the fan if necessary.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.
When I added a second power ventilator (Maxx-Air Fan) to my CCD to replace the dead vent at the rear of the trailer, I found a constant 12VDC lead at the exhaust fan in the adjoining bathroom. Had to drill a hole in a rafter to run the wire, but it was not a big deal. Look around for a near-by fan or constant 12VDC source and you should be able to snake it to the fan opening.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:40 AM   #4
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Morning Moosetags-

The wires should be right there! Very surprised you did not find them. When we added a second Fan-tastic in the front the wires were right there between the insulation on the curb side. It was my understanding from my visit to JC that all the current AS are wired. Call tech support at 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 pm, EST: 937-596-6111 if you still can't find them on the curb side.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:02 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I was debating admitting this, then decided y'all might need a chuckle.
When I saw the title to this thread, I thought "I wonder what they are using for bait for their fishing?"
Seriously, if you wind up having to fish wires, a stiff wire like mechanic's wire, or even a coat hanger would help you get the wires through the spaces.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:49 AM   #6
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I was debating admitting this, then decided y'all might need a chuckle.
When I saw the title to this thread, I thought "I wonder what they are using for bait for their fishing?"
Seriously, if you wind up having to fish wires, a stiff wire like mechanic's wire, or even a coat hanger would help you get the wires through the spaces.
Terry- Yes, this always works but PLEASE always make sure you loop the end so that you don't get snagged no the insulation. When that happens you end up pulling out insulation! Ouch!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 02-15-2007, 07:20 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
Terry- Yes, this always works but PLEASE always make sure you loop the end so that you don't get snagged no the insulation. When that happens you end up pulling out insulation! Ouch!
Yes, and make sure the end of the wire is facing away from the direction you are pulling. Even if you loop it, if the hook faces the direction of pull it will catch and yank out the insulation. Looks like neither of us were really clear on that.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Brian, prior to my 28' Classic I had a 25' Safari rear twin. I installed a FF in the front and the hot wire was there. I searched high and low for a hot wire in the rear and never did find one so don't feel bad. The other tips here for fishing are good and drilling through a rib should be easy with a long bit. Just make sure if you run wire through a hole you drill that you protect the wiring from the rough edges of the cut metal.

Greg
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Very True

Good advice!

When I ran the wires for my rear Maxx-Fan (there were no wires anywhere to be found as they said at JC) I drilled a roof rafter and ran a length of split wire loom into the hole (available at any big box HD or Lowes or NAPA) and then pulled the wires thru that to prevent the chafing of the wires' insulation while bouncing down the road. You really don't want a hot lead shorting against the chassis of your A/S.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:22 AM   #10
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Moosetags- How did you make out?
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 02-21-2007, 06:41 AM   #11

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
ricandsandi-

I haven't gotten a chance to get back into it yet. We left Lucy set up in Daddy's yard over in Jacksonville, and came back home. We probably won't get back over there for a week or two. When I'm able to get back into the wiring issue, I'll post the results.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt