Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2006, 11:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

12 volt wall light parts for '66 overlander

Has anyone found a source for the ball and socket knuckles which allow the aluminum light fixture heads to adjust for directional lighting. I have 3 - 2 headed wall lights in my trailer and all of the knuckles in question have popped out and seem broken. These parts must be available somewhere. Thanks James
technautica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:02 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
1968 22' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Substitute for wall light bushing

I found that a piece of 3/8" silicone rubber tubing slit up the side with a razor blade works nicely as a substitute bushing for the wall lights in my '72 International. This holds the ball of the light unit snugly in the hole where it rotates.

By the way, I replaced the power-hungry lamps in mine with white LED arrays from SuperBright LED's. These are quite enough for night reading and/or accent, and use very little power.
26.982 amu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Brach
I found that a piece of 3/8" silicone rubber tubing slit up the side with a razor blade works nicely as a substitute bushing for the wall lights in my '72 International. This holds the ball of the light unit snugly in the hole where it rotates.

By the way, I replaced the power-hungry lamps in mine with white LED arrays from SuperBright LED's. These are quite enough for night reading and/or accent, and use very little power.
Vince, can you post a picture of your technique here? I, and I'm sure others, would be most interested in this. Thank!

John
John's Camping Blog
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by technautica
Has anyone found a source for the ball and socket knuckles which allow the aluminum light fixture heads to adjust for directional lighting. I have 3 - 2 headed wall lights in my trailer and all of the knuckles in question have popped out and seem broken. These parts must be available somewhere. Thanks James
In the spirit of originality, I just recently rebuilt all of mine. I disassembled each one, and sanded and painted them with a Rustoleum textured paint on the outside, and used a high temp white on the inside. It's only slightly darker than the original paint. as far as the ball and socket knuckles, all of mine popped back together nicely, most of them had popped out and were hanging loose. They are kept in place by the spring, and kind of a curved washer at the top of the socket. To take care of the oxidation I gently chucked them into my drill press and used "met-all" polish. they shined up beautifully. I'll try and post pictures later.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:33 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
1968 22' Safari
Tyler , Texas
More on wall lights, plus pix

Here are some images of my cheap repair job of the ball-and-socket wall lights in my '72 International. The new "bushing" is a piece of 3/8" medical silicone rubber tubing, cut lengthwise with a razor blade. It is a very snug fit--don't plan on moving the lamp much!

The LED is from Super Bright LED's, #1157W30 narrow angle @$14.99/ea. These are quite bright enough to read by, but they don't put out the same "space-filling" light that a regular lamp does. However--they burn a tiny fraction of the power!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00031.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	20598   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00032.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	20599  

Old 05-07-2006, 06:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
A little late, but here's the pictures of mine. I emailed them to technautica earlier, but in case anyone else needed the visual.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0069.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	21147   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0067.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	21148  

2001 Honda XR650R

Old 05-08-2006, 04:53 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
1968 22' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Error on wall lights

After looking at the images of my '72 Ambassador wall lights versus those from the '66 Overlander, I see that we were talking about apples and oranges. Sorry for the mistake!
Old 05-08-2006, 07:53 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Brach
After looking at the images of my '72 Ambassador wall lights versus those from the '66 Overlander, I see that we were talking about apples and oranges. Sorry for the mistake!
Thats the great thing about being able to post pics, you can't always tell if it's the same item by description only. I'll bet your solution will help someone that looks here, good looking fix. I like the LEDs I am considering trying them out in my lamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by technautica
I will be watching this post I have one of mine that will stay in until you move it then it comes loose.
AIR 7834 WBCCI 2105/VAC
65glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Wall light repairs/replacement

Just a follow up to this thread. I also need a fix for these lamps or a suitable replacement. Apparrently missing the "small lock in washer."
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:47 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Here's how I fixed mine..

I fixed mine a couple of weeks ago. I was fortunate enough that the PO left two new ball and socket parts, so I had two broken ones to experiment with first before repairing the other 4. The trick is to take the lights completely apart. You'll need some regular pliars, needle nose pliars and vice grips. Take the ball and socket ends and stick them into a vice and squeeze the ball back into the socket. After that, I took a pair of vice grips and crimped the last 1/8" or so. Turn it 90deg. and crimp again. After completeing the first one, I pulled on the thing with moderate pressure to try and separate the two, but they held fine. Let me know if anything is unclear, I can post pics more step by step if needed this evening. --dave

BTW- There was no lock washer on any of my lights.
Streamin 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
wall lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamin 65
I fixed mine a couple of weeks ago. I was fortunate enough that the PO left two new ball and socket parts, so I had two broken ones to experiment with first before repairing the other 4. The trick is to take the lights completely apart. You'll need some regular pliars, needle nose pliars and vice grips. Take the ball and socket ends and stick them into a vice and squeeze the ball back into the socket. After that, I took a pair of vice grips and crimped the last 1/8" or so. Turn it 90deg. and crimp again. After completeing the first one, I pulled on the thing with moderate pressure to try and separate the two, but they held fine. Let me know if anything is unclear, I can post pics more step by step if needed this evening. --dave

BTW- There was no lock washer on any of my lights.
Dave, I'd be interested in seeing pictures of your fix and any more instructions on how you did this. Thanks Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:22 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Light Fixture Fix

Here's a more step by step with some pics I took today. The lights are already installed, so I have no pics of how to disassemble them, but hopefully this helps.
1. Remove the big nut holding the fixture on.
2. I had to drill out the rivets that held the mounting bracket to the wall to get to the wiring.
3. Unwire the fixture.
4. Remove the bulb and the nut that is on the switch (top of cone). Then remove the insides of the light. There's a reflector, switch, spring and socket for the bulb all in one unit. It's a little tricky, but it'll come out with some patience and feeding the wires through the ball/socket part.
5. Put some needle nose pliars on the nut inside the cone and a small wrench or pliars around the square washer just outside the cone and loosen the nut.
6. Then remove the nut that holds the socket part to the base of the lamp.
7. The ball/socket should now be disassembled enough to work on.
8. See the first pic, you should now have this (probably in two pieces though!)
9. Put the pieces together and in a vise (See Pic 2) and clamp them together
10. Set you vise grips to put a fair amount of pressure on the socket. I only crimped the last 1/8" or so on the part so as not to damage it any more than necessary as the vise grips will leave little teeth marks on the part. I even tried to crimp it with a rag between the part and the vise grips, but the little teeth marks still came through. See pic 3.
11. Turn the socket 90 deg. and crimp again. The socket should be slightly squarish now, but it should hold the ball in place even if tried to pull back apart with moderate pressure. I also shot a little grease in the socket to keep the ball lubed up. This should complete the fix! Clean the fixture, reassemble and enjoy! (pic 4)
12. If this is still not clear, I'd be happy to help out further --dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	65 Airstream.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	22857   Click image for larger version

Name:	65 Airstream Light Vise.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	22859  

Name:	65 Airstream Light Vise2.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	22860   Click image for larger version

Name:	65 Airstream Light Finished.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	22861  

Streamin 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Ditto

...on what Dave said.

on step 4 though, I found it easier to remove the reflector assembly and wire by first removing the socket part from the main lamp body and then puling the wires thru.

Step 10 and 11 are important. After we've used the trailer a couple times, I've found that two of mine have popped loose again as I didn't crimp them enough.

If you back up to post # 6 you can compare our lights. Streamin 65 and I have the exact same fixture, his appears to be shiny and silver (chrome?) while mine were originally painted.

I recommend using either LED replacement bulbs in them, or 1141s. The 1156's fit, but get very hot if you leave them on for awhile.

1156 = 2.1 amps / 25 watts
1141 = 1.44 amps / 17.3 watts
LED's = about 1.5 watts?? but very pricey (cool colors available though)
Also Wal-Mart has some in their meager RV section that look just like the 1156, but are available in 9, 12 or 18 watts
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 06-26-2006, 08:03 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
Amissville , Virginia
I had to replace all six ball joints on the wall sconces in my '67 Safari. Here in Virginia I was able to find an almost exact replacement for the entrire post and ball joint unit. It fit right down to the square fitting that enters the aluminum shade. Most of the work was in removing the cheap brass plating that the part came in which when done exposed the all aluminum bar with swivel joint. To do this I used a mild acid that is used in creating patina for lead in stained glass work. A strong paint stripper and 0000 steel wool may work also.

If you want a part number and the name of the business where I found it I'd be happy to list it here. I'll have to call the retailer for the part number. You may find the same part in your local lighting supplier.
Grtbggdgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Lighting Swivel Joints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grtbggdgt
I had to replace all six ball joints on the wall sconces in my '67 Safari. Here in Virginia I was able to find an almost exact replacement for the entrire post and ball joint unit. It fit right down to the square fitting that enters the aluminum shade. Most of the work was in removing the cheap brass plating that the part came in which when done exposed the all aluminum bar with swivel joint. To do this I used a mild acid that is used in creating patina for lead in stained glass work. A strong paint stripper and 0000 steel wool may work also.

If you want a part number and the name of the business where I found it I'd be happy to list it here. I'll have to call the retailer for the part number. You may find the same part in your local lighting supplier.
Grtbggdgt, I would like any part number and business name you can come up with. I am trying to locate the swivels locally and any part number / manufaturer would be a great help! Thanks... Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Part numbers and sources

Me too, Me too. Could you post the info here for access ?
Thanks!
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:57 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
Alternate Repair Method

As a fairly new owner to a 1967 Trade Wind, I have been stockpiling parts for a renovation. Our trailer had some square 12 volt lights on the walls in place of the sconces. I was able to find a couple of fixtures on Ebay, but they had the typical "droop." After studying Streamin 65's method of repair, I tried to figure out a method which would not leave the crimp marks from the pliers on the socket section of the stem. A friend at the local garage suggested the following method:

1. Pull the ball and socket together with a bolt and nut. Note that I left the nut from the stem and the brass fittings on the ends to protect the stem and its threads.

2. We made a sleeve from a small piece of pipe and ground a taper on the inside. The stem, with bolt, was placed vertically on a hard surface and the sleeve was placed over the socket and tapped with a hammer.

3. Remove the nut and bolt and reassemble.

4. Note that I removed the toothed washer from the nut end due to the internal size of the sleeve. The washer is just a bit too big.

You will see in the pictures that the paint on the stem didn't handle the process very well. I ended up wire wheeling off the paint, which was peeling before I began anyway. My plan is to polish the stems or paint them.

I've kept the bolt and the sleeve in case anyone wants to borrow them in the future. While bolts are easy enough to find, I couldn't find anything in 3/16" with a hex head, so I ground the shoulder off a carriage bolt. Send me an email if you want to borrow the "repair kit" rather than having to make your own.

Wayne
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVC-001F.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	71867   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-002F.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	71868  

Name:	MVC-004F.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	71869   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-003F.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	71870  

rasmuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:24 PM   #18

1967 24' Tradewind
Langley , British Columbia
wall sconce

I see this is an old thread, but still relevant. I purchased a 67 Tradewind this summer with 3 of these wall sconces. All 3 had come apart and were hanging lifelessly by the black wire supplying power.
Thanks to the previous contributors, i was able to disassemble them and repair the ball socket joint.
I held the pieces together in a vise and hammered the edge to keep the ball in place.
By the last one, I was smart enough to hammer a piece of hardwood on the metal to prevent any marring of the finish.
Attached Images

Wingnut111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt