As a fairly new owner to a 1967
Trade Wind, I have been stockpiling parts for a renovation. Our trailer had some square 12 volt
lights on the walls in place of the sconces. I was able to find a couple of fixtures on Ebay, but they had the typical "droop." After studying Streamin 65's method of repair, I tried to figure out a method which would not leave the crimp marks from the pliers on the socket section of the stem. A friend at the local garage suggested the following method:
1. Pull the ball and socket together with a bolt and nut. Note that I left the nut from the stem and the brass fittings on the ends to protect the stem and its threads.
2. We made a sleeve from a small piece of pipe and ground a taper on the inside. The stem, with bolt, was placed vertically on a hard surface and the sleeve was placed over the socket and tapped with a hammer.
3. Remove the nut and bolt and reassemble.
4. Note that I removed the toothed washer from the nut end due to the internal size of the sleeve. The washer is just a bit too big.
You will see in the pictures that the paint on the stem didn't handle the process very well. I ended up wire wheeling off the paint, which was peeling before I began anyway. My plan is to polish the stems or paint them.
I've kept the bolt and the sleeve in case anyone wants to borrow them in the future. While bolts are easy enough to find, I couldn't find anything in 3/16" with a hex head, so I ground the shoulder off a carriage bolt. Send me an email if you want to borrow the "repair kit" rather than having to make your own.