Old 08-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
1963 16' Bambi
1971 21' Globetrotter
Marbletown , New York
12 volt radio/ power problem

My 31' A/S was a basket case when I bought it so I'm figuring things out as I go. I've just installed a new JVC automotive receiver/Cd. Nothing special. I installed it in the space where the 8 track went. I used the speaker wires that were existing and the Hot and ground that were there. I've checked them both with a volt-ohm meter and they check out as designed. The radio functions fine.

The problem is whenever I am playing the radio and I turn on a 12 V light the radio goes off. When I turn off the light the radio goes on. (Any light). I have no battery installed and am running exclusively on "shore Power" and univolt.

Any suggestions? Please

Old 08-19-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Stone Ridge,
Is there voltage at the stero leads when the light is on? I would install a battery and see what happens. The systems were designed to have a battery in the loop and my be hard on the equipment / univolt.

TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
The battery is part of the "filter" for the Univolt with out the battery it is possible you are getting a spike when turning on a light.

I can't remember the color coding but many auto radios have an always on +12V and a switched +12V (comes on with the ignition switch) you may have the receiver connected to the switched wire on the radio and that is why the radio shuts down.

As above try it with a battery installed.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Ridge View Post
My 31' A/S was a basket case when I bought it so I'm figuring things out as I go. I've just installed a new JVC automotive receiver/Cd. Nothing special. I installed it in the space where the 8 track went. I used the speaker wires that were existing and the Hot and ground that were there. I've checked them both with a volt-ohm meter and they check out as designed. The radio functions fine.

The problem is whenever I am playing the radio and I turn on a 12 V light the radio goes off. When I turn off the light the radio goes on. (Any light). I have no battery installed and am running exclusively on "shore Power" and univolt.

Any suggestions? Please

I don't have any suggestions except to make a note to myself to think about running a fused hot wire to the radio bay while I've got the neighboring side panels removed. I read about other people having challenges with radio power, especially the live line that keeps the clock and the memory from resetting every cycle.

All my radio wires exit the panel near the front curbside. The radio I took out looked like it was a moonlight special. I never tried it. I didn't care.

For your problem, if it were my problem, I'd try a different radio and see if it does the same thing, or maybe a 12 volt jumper light to watch what happens when I flip a switch.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
my factory installed sony does the same thing (with battery installed). it seems to be after i've put on the 3rd or 4th light. i'd look at the voltage (+ & -) when the light is turned on. in my case, i suspect a bad connection at the fuse panel.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
I like to listen to music when I work and while we were remodeling our '87 I had pulled the batteries and had it hooked up to shore power and all electric systems worked great...except the radio. When the radio was turned on there was a bad 60 cycle hum in the audio. It was the stock P.O.S. radio and I thought it might have gone bad. But it was not high on the list of things to replace so I just turned the radio off. Well when we went to camp in it I put the batteries back in and presto the 60 cycle hum went away. So I deduced that the batteries are in integral part of the system. I later replaced the stock radio / cassette deck with a Sony radio CD / MPEG player head unit and Infiniti speakers front and rear. Now it sounds great. But it could use a sub-woofer.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:48 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Grab a fresh/clean ground near the radio

Tags
12 volt