Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Johnson City , on the road
12 Volt kicks the GFCI

Got a new one I have not run across, One of my projects , the owner gutted everything so I put it back together not much of and issue till now replacing the old univote new 60 intellpower and fuse box done this many times converter came on no issue battery wired in no problem put in 12volt 20amp fuse trips the gfi breaker what on earth would do this anyone have this issue before? I can disconnect all 12 volt wires on the fuse box than reinstall one at a time does the same thing so I looked for a 12volt crossed with the 110 of course none , any idea
Old 11-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
This sounds like something that happened to me several years ago. My problem turned out to be a loose ground wire on the GFI breaker in the main panel.

Good luck!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
This sounds like something that happened to me several years ago. My problem turned out to be a loose ground wire on the GFI breaker in the main panel.

Good luck!

Brad
I thought of that also I plugged converter into my shop 110 same thing happened, I am thinking something inside the new converter is a mis
Old 11-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
That's not good. I assume it doesn't trip a regular breaker and if that's the case then you're right, something in side the converter is not good.
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Yes, sounds like there may be a problem in the converter/charger. If it is under guarantee coverage by the manufacturer, I would contact them about the issue.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Sounds like a ground or neutral problem in the converter. You might check for a shorted N to G on the PD plug and to the case.

Just in case when you did the wiring on the main breaker panel the ground and neutral should NOT be tied together in your breaker box.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiontimo View Post
Got a new one I have not run across, One of my projects , the owner gutted everything so I put it back together not much of and issue till now replacing the old univote new 60 intellpower and fuse box done this many times converter came on no issue battery wired in no problem put in 12volt 20amp fuse trips the gfi breaker what on earth would do this anyone have this issue before? I can disconnect all 12 volt wires on the fuse box than reinstall one at a time does the same thing so I looked for a 12volt crossed with the 110 of course none , any idea
Probably not the converter.

GFCI phantom trips are almost always caused by a connection somewhere between ground and neutral. If such a connection is present, minor changes in the electrical environment can cause a trip.

There is no easy way to troubleshoot these. If a visual inspection doesn't reveal anything you have to disconnect all power and find the ground-to-neutral short using an ohmmeter.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiontimo View Post
This first comment is meant to be helpfull not critical. Your post would be a lot easier to read and understand, if you would use standard punctuation rules.

Double check the converter installation, paying particular attention to the 110 volt wiring. Ensure that the case of the new converter is connected to a ground strip.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
12v ground carries current all the time. 120v ground only carries current when there's a fault.

It's entirely possible that the 12v ground bus has been hooked up to the 120v ground, and so the GFCI reads the 12v current as leakage from the 120v system, which it really isn't.

Completely isolate the 12v ground from the 120v ground, and the problem should go away.

Just my 2¢ worth.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The 12 volt ground, or common is the skin and frame of the trailer. It serves as the return path for all single wire DC devices, as well as some 2 wire DC devices. It is the negative side of the 12 volt DC system.
The 120 volt AC ground, also known as "Earth Ground". It is also the skin and frame of the trailer.
While not one in the same. They both use the trailer frame or skin as the attachment point.
I don't believe the GFCI would detect any DC current flow, since the DC source is isolated from the AC source by means of the converter.
But if the converter is faulty and produces something that looks like AC "riding on" the DC negative side. It may be detected as a fault by the GFCI.
IMHO
I think you have a faulty converter. Since it trips the GFCI in the shop as well.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #11
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
TG Twinkie your right got back to it today had 2 issues a bad gfi in the trailer, and the converter was defective both issues were enough to throw me a curve sometimes best to take a step back, OH AG&AU none taken helpful ok to old to change to many years in the field, military old school.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Red face Same problem with my first converter upgrade....

same result.

Installed a Zantrex 55a...main breaker tripped.
The "new" unit made it more difficult to diagnose. After all how likely is that? Turns out....very.
After 2hrs re-installed the P-lax...bingo!

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt