Old 05-15-2005, 11:17 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
12 volt hum

I am currently installing a CD player in my 75 Tradewind. I am using the original locaton and wiring. When I hook up the hot wire I get a hum from inside my new CD player.The inline fuse also gets warm. If I unplug the shore power the hum goes away and the fuse stays cool. The voltage is about 14.3 volts when the shore power is connected. Does anyone have any ideas.

Old 05-15-2005, 11:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradjun1
I am currently installing a CD player in my 75 Tradewind. I am using the original locaton and wiring. When I hook up the hot wire I get a hum from inside my new CD player.The inline fuse also gets warm. If I unplug the shore power the hum goes away and the fuse stays cool. The voltage is about 14.3 volts when the shore power is connected. Does anyone have any ideas.
The fuse is a confusing issue, I hope it will correct itself. If a fuse gets hot it melts, that is how they work. The heat produced is proportional to the current applied.

As for the noise I would check the AC voltage at your CD player. I think there is a chance that your battery charger is failing and applying AC ripple to the line.

The issue of using the old wiring, if you can in some way put in new wire of the correct gauge in for the new installation that is really the correct way to go.

Good Luck

Old 05-15-2005, 11:35 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Thanks. When do think a good source for this new wire could be
Old 05-15-2005, 11:38 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Quote:
Probably your converter.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 01:37 AM   #5
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Evil Univolt

I am betting that it is your Univolt. This converter can not be good at providing smooth filtered power. I have not taken mine apart yet but I bet that it has minimal filtering - unlike the more modern converters we have today.
As for the fuse...Are you SURE it was a fuse that you touched that was warm? Like Janet's Husband said - it is confusing because the fuse should blow before getting warm.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 04:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
...I have not taken mine apart yet but I bet that it has minimal filtering - unlike the more modern converters we have today...
None of the Univolt schematics I have seen showed any filtering capacitors at all. The few capacitors that are in the circuit are there to tune it.

The battery is supposed to provide the filtering. Although I have not seen any modern converters' schematics, I would be surprised if they had filtering capacitors since the battery does such a good job of it.

I think Gary nailed it in post #2. Look for a bad diode bridge in the converter.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:37 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Thank you all for the rapid reply. I hope I can shed more light on the problem. I just took a test with my multi meter at the CD player. This test was done with the Univolt plugged in. With the CD player off I got 14.8 volts. When I turned the CD player on My voltage increased to almost 18 volts. With the Univolt unplugged I got about 14.5 volts with the CD player on and when I turned it off the voltage increased to about 14.7 volts. What caused the spike when I turned the player on with the Univolt on? My plan is to first try another source of 12 volt power and run the same test. Does anyone have a suggestion. I am stumped.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
The magnitude of your voltages indicates your voltmeter is out of calibration. But be that as it may, the voltage rise of over three volts between the Univolt being off & on is a dead giveaway that something is wrong with the Univolt. Repair or replace it.

If you are not a tinkerer, you will be better off replacing it. There is a forum member who sells what appears to be a good, modern-day replacement. His username escapes me, but I think his website is bestconverter.com. He gives a discount to forum members.

But if you want to repair your Univolt, feel free to contact me offline for more detailed help.

You do need to do something because it appears that your battery is being subjected to AC voltage, which just can't be good for it.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Thank you all for the rapid reply. I hope I can shed more light on the problem. I just took a test with my multi meter at the CD player. This test was done with the Univolt plugged in. With the CD player off I got 14.8 volts. When I turned the CD player on My voltage increased to almost 18 volts. With the Univolt unplugged I got about 14.5 volts with the CD player on and when I turned it off the voltage increased to about 14.7 volts. What caused the spike when I turned the player on with the Univolt on? My plan is to first try another source of 12 volt power and run the same test. Does anyone have a suggestion. I am stumped.

Check your CD player on a car battery, that would prove out that the CD is OK.

You need to read the AC voltage on the DC supply with the Univolt on.
I would say any more than 1.0 VAC is too much.

I am of the belief that all Univolts should be pitched into the nearest garbage can, their old technology is not the best you can provide for your battery.
There are many threads on replacing your Univolt with equipment that will improve battery life and provide ripple free DC.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:56 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Thank all of you for your help. I have ordered the Inteli-Power from best converter.com.After talking with them we are sure that the converter is the problem.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:50 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
I just finished installing the Inteli-Power 9100 and everything works great. This unit is so quiet that your not sure if it's even on. It is much smaller and lighter that the old univolt and installation was easy. Thanks to all who helped me with this problem.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
I just finished installing the Inteli-Power 9100 and everything works great. This unit is so quiet that your not sure if it's even on. It is much smaller and lighter that the old univolt and installation was easy. Thanks to all who helped me with this problem.
Did you get the charge wizard also.
You'll love the Inteli-Power, did it fix the Hum problem?
Old 05-21-2005, 10:18 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Yes I got the charge wizard and it works great. This unit is very quiet. Randy at bestconverter.com also helped me with a few intstallation questions. The hum went away. As you suggested the hum was a/c power coming through the d/c system. I glad I didn't smoke my new CD player.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:39 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Just a note to those with the factory generator.......a Onan came stock in my 1972 and it does not have any method of regulating the output other than the idle speed of the little 4 horse engine, if you start it up and the engine speed is too high, you will fry anything like a CD player, CB radio, or whatever is voltage sensitive.
Pull the fuses before you set the idle speed.

Tags
12 volt