Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
2trackrr

1991 34' Limited
Waxahachie , Texas
12 Volt Fuse Panel Location Assistance Needed

JUst purchased a 34FT Diamond addition with every bell and whistle you can think of. Problem is I have blown a 12 fuse and can not find the fuse panel. The Airstream service manual is less than good and the location where they say it is it isn't. Please someone enlighten as to where I can find it

2trackrr
2trackrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
If it still has the original converter-charger unit, the 12V DC fuse panel may be part of the converter. If you don't know where the converter is (it would be a buzzy metal box in a closet of cabinet that says Triad with a TU-something model number I think) you may need to wait for one of the 34 narrowbody owners to tell you where it's tucked away.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2trackrr View Post
JUst purchased a 34FT Diamond addition with every bell and whistle you can think of. Problem is I have blown a 12 fuse and can not find the fuse panel. The Airstream service manual is less than good and the location where they say it is it isn't. Please someone enlighten as to where I can find it

2trackrr
It's behind the sofa centered above the battery boxes and below the front window. Here's a photo with the sofa and fuse panel cover removed:

The gray thing between the battery boxes is the original Univolt. This photo was taken while swapping the Univolt for a modern converter.

Welcome to the forums, too!
Old 08-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
FWIW, both my '89 and '02 trailers have the 12V panel on the front wall center in behind the couch. The '89 is behind upholstery that has snaps to access. But they are breakers. Maybe '84s have a fose
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
FWIW, both my '89 and '02 trailers have the 12V panel on the front wall center in behind the couch. The '89 is behind upholstery that has snaps to access. But they are breakers. Maybe '84s have a fose
They do. The photo is from a 1983, but I have a 1984 Service Manual. They are the same.

Speaking of that, though, the glass fuses are not as common as they were 30 years ago. Make a record of the sizes you have and buy spares ahead of time.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Wow that seems so much easier than peering into the bathroom closet while on my knees to see my fuse panel!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Wow that seems so much easier than peering into the bathroom closet while on my knees to see my fuse panel!
It is. The sofa is way easier on knees than the floor.

There's even good light in the daytime.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
It can be tough though to. My fuse panel door hits the couch and tries to get stuck and rip the couch. In order to open it all the way to see what is going on I have to lean over and open it all the way. Then lay the couch down so I can actually see what is going on! Little harder to do for me when we are not totally moved in yet and have stuff all over the place!
flyfishrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
2trackrr

1991 34' Limited
Waxahachie , Texas
This model does not have the fuse panel behind the couch. The only thing behind the couch is woodwork covering front cargo area with the built in jack controls We have the horizontal mounted LP tanks. I have located the converter however the fuses are not located in that area.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Look for a door on the end of the converter. Also tell us how many wires go in and out of the converter. There should be a dozen or so if the fuse panel is built into the converter.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
This model does not have the fuse panel behind the couch. The only thing behind the couch is woodwork covering front cargo area with the built in jack controls We have the horizontal mounted LP tanks. I have located the converter however the fuses are not located in that area.
OK, I'm confused.

I'm not aware of any 1984 model that has horizontal LP tanks. I'm referring to a 1984 Service Manual, and the drawings of the tanks are clearly vertical. The photos on the cover, including the prominently featured 34, have vertical tanks. I seem to recall that the horizontal tanks didn't come along till later.

In addition, all the electrical diagrams in the 1984 manual indicate that the fuse panel is in front. You mentioned that you found the converter, where is it located?

I don't mean to sound glib, but are you sure you are talking about a 1984?

Sorry I can't be of more help. I thought, for sure, yours would be like my 1983.

On edit:

I just read your first post again:
Quote:
JUst purchased a 34FT Diamond addition ...
Should "Diamond addition" be "Diamond Anniversary Limited Edition"? Diamond addition didn't mean anything to me so I skipped over it. If it's a Diamond Anniversary Edition (60th Anniversary), that would make it a 1991 and would have the horizontal tanks. (See this add for a Diamond Anniversary Edition for sale in San Antonio for comparison) If that's the case, it would explain the differences.

Also, it would mean that your trailer is 7 years newer than your profile indicates.

Maybe someone with a 1991 can chime in. Again, sorry I couldn't be more help.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #12
2trackrr

1991 34' Limited
Waxahachie , Texas
Yes I do have a new 1991 Diamond anniversary unit and will change my profile soon. Still have no Idea where the fuse panel is I will check the converter as soon as I take the front couch completely The only way to get to it.

2Trackrr
Old 09-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
in my '94 34' my circuit breakers were located mid front wall behind the gaucho but i had upright lp tanks. it may be different because of the lp talks. listen to the hum of the converter and the breakers should be close by :-)

is this a front galley floor plan?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Congratulations on the new Airstream.

I, too, am thinking that the difference is probably due to the horizontal tanks. Hopefully someone with that configuration will see this and help.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #15
Camoduk

1974 31' Sovereign
Sammamish , Washington
Any idea where 12 volt fuse panel is on a 74-31 ft Sovereign? I have twins center and Lav in the rear. BTW I lost power to the refrig and the 2 forward driver side outlets. We changed the breakers [just because] hoping that was it but no change. Near the battery [rear passenger side]? Any ideas help...
camoduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #16
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Get on your knees on the floor in the closet between the bathtub and the curbside bed, it's on your right at the bottom.

Bring a flashlight, and open the door on the blue box there. You'll see the glass barrel fuses.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #17
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by camoduk View Post
Any idea where 12 volt fuse panel is on a 74-31 ft Sovereign? I have twins center and Lav in the rear. BTW I lost power to the refrig and the 2 forward driver side outlets. We changed the breakers [just because] hoping that was it but no change. Near the battery [rear passenger side]? Any ideas help...
ps: the fusebox I just described is for the 12VDC circuits. The three breakers in the upper locker over the end of the other bed (the street-side one) are what controls the AC plugs. If they are still out after you flick all three to off then back on, you need to look upstream at the fusebox that feeds your trailer wherever you are parked.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Mooresville , Indiana
Quote:
Yes I do have a new 1991 Diamond anniversary unit and will change my profile soon. Still have no Idea where the fuse panel is I will check the converter as soon as I take the front couch completely The only way to get to it.

2Trackrr
Did you ever find the fuse panel in the 91 unit? We spent a great deal of time today trying to find ours in the same unit but turned up empty handed. Except for finding some rotten floor and an old mouse nest 😦
Karry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #19
2trackrr

1991 34' Limited
Waxahachie , Texas
The panel is on the left side of the coach as you face the front window behind the couch Also my unit has circuit breakers not fuses Hope this helps let me know
2Trackrr
Old 08-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I think the circuit breakers are for the 120 volt system. 12volt system is protected by fuses.?? Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt