Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2005, 07:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Maryville , Tennessee
12 Volt Fluorescent Lights

Has anyone tried the generic 12 Volt Fluorescent Lights from JC Whitney ( www.jcwhitney.com ).

They are not the "Thin-Lite" Brand but are but about 40% less.

Does anyone have a good source for inexpensive 12 Volt Fluorescent Lights?
trevisgardne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:23 PM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Somebody found a good deal on the thin-lites recently in a related thread. Do a search on thin-lites and look back over the most recent couple of months. There was a web link that I remember looking at in that thread. Sorry I can't help more.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Cheap housings may or may not be to your taste, but if they are electrically noisy - and many low quality fluorescents are - you will find it difficult to use a television or radio nearby. Low qauality ballasts also will not fire over as wide a range of temperatures.

Having said that, I know nothing whatsoever about the lights JC Whitney is selling.

Mark
Old 05-12-2005, 11:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
A neighbor just handed me this catalog. And they handle 12 v. fluorescent lighting.

www.americanvan.com/index.cfm

I have not had any experience with the company yet, but perhaps they will give you an idea of pricing.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Somebody found a good deal on the thin-lites recently in a related thread. Do a search on thin-lites and look back over the most recent couple of months. There was a web link that I remember looking at in that thread. Sorry I can't help more.

Jim
Jim,
That was my thread. I got a REALLY good deal on the rectangular Thin-Lites from Arizona Wind & Sun. http://store.solar-electric.com/thinlites.html
I got the Thin-Lite #112 for under the galley cabinet and over the bathroom mirror. I got the #109C for the ceiling. It has brightened it up a LOT!!!!
Thanks for remembering the post!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 04:40 AM   #6
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I've had only good experiences with Arizona Wind & Sun. I have the #114 vent lights in our unit. We recently lost two ballasts. I contacted my Airstream dealer who advised that the factory wanted about $130 each light for the parts to repair. (Surely they were talking about whole new light fixtures, but in any case that was the alternative I was given.) I ordered two replacement ballasts only from Arizona Wind & Sun for $28 for the both of them. $260 vs. $28 is a huge difference. They were friendly, knowledgeable, prompt in their dealings with me and they seem to have a huge inventory covering a vast array of fixtures and parts.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 08:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStephens
$260 vs. $28 is a huge difference. They were friendly, knowledgeable, prompt in their dealings with me and they seem to have a huge inventory covering a vast array of fixtures and parts.
GStephens
Cool! I like them at Arizona Wind & Sun. It is a nice, family-run business.
That is more than saving a "few bucks" isn't it?
I ordered my Thin-Lites on a Monday and I had them by Thursday! They are awesome!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt