Old 09-23-2017, 09:46 AM   #41
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
Here is a quote from another site and a link;
http://www.power-talk.net/golf-cart-batteries.html

On the other side, heavy charge-discharge cycles for prolonged periods of time can distort and damage the thin, delicate plates. Furthermore, the positive plates will corrode much faster than a true deep cycle battery - which results in a very short lifespan.
6 volt golf cart batteries, with its thicker plates, are able to endure long periods of deep discharging and recharging with less effect on its life span.

there are many many other resources, just google them. Meanwhile the earth is not flat!

Hi

Thick plates vs thin plates has absolutely zero to do with 6V vs 12V. You don't suddenly get a thick plate on a 6V battery. Golf carts do not all use 6V batteries. Again, there are a range of cells (and even cell types) aimed at that market.

Again, what people are doing is looking at a Trojan T-105 and generalizing it to cover more than they should.

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:53 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Mill Valley , California
We boondock a lot.

On our 22FB Sport, I took the location between the propane tanks and the trailer body to mount my Honda 2000 generator. Then, I put a couple Life Line military spec AGM 6 volt batteries in series under the back seat in the trailer, pretty much right over the axle for best weight distrubution. In the same space, I put a big inverter which powers coffee maker, toaster and 110 volt accessories without a problem.

220 amp hours

Andrew

awiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:08 PM   #43
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by awiegel View Post
We boondock a lot.

On our 22FB Sport, I took the location between the propane tanks and the trailer body to mount my Honda 2000 generator. Then, I put a couple Life Line military spec AGM 6 volt batteries in series under the back seat in the trailer, pretty much right over the axle for best weight distrubution. In the same space, I put a big inverter which powers coffee maker, toaster and 110 volt accessories without a problem.

220 amp hours

Andrew
Hi

You could have put in an equally "mil spec" / equally AGM / equally well made Lifeline 12V battery and had 255 AH in a single package .... Or a pair of them for 510 AH.

If fitting things here and there is the issue, six 2V cells gives you even more flexibility. Six of them could get you 660 AH.

No magic about 6V ...

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote