Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Long Beach , California
110V vs. 12vdc? Rewire for lighting?

My 1958 Traveler is gutted and most of the interior wall skins are removed. My plan is to rewire the entire trailer with new romex. The original light fixtures have both 110v, and 12vdc sources.

Should I retain both 110v and 12vdc wiring for lighting?

My thoughts are to go with LED 12v lighting systems with a converter or battery source. I probably will not use the older light fixtures unless I decide to keep a vintage look, and if I do will still convert it to LED. The 110vac will be for any appliances and outlets.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Early Airstreams did not have a converter. The trailer batteries were charged when you hooked it up to the car and drove for the day. If they were going to be used in one location for an extended period, the lights would run the batteries down and therefore needed the 110 volt fixtures were necessary. Today, with converters, there is no need for 110 volt lighting. Put in enough 110 volt outlets to run all your future 110 volt appliances.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v