Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2007, 12:36 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
110v Power Cord Configuration

It's time to try to hook up the electrical and find that I can't locate a cord that matches the plug on the side of the rig. It has three identical spades in a triangle (not touching the corners). I saw something similar at Camping World, but it has the standard U shaped ground terminal. How do I make a connection? I'm envisioning that there is some pig-tail out there that can make the transition from 1958 to today. Any ideas for a source.
bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:23 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Maybe you could start here and then chase it down?
VintageAirstream - Restoration Resources
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:31 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings bevman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevman
It's time to try to hook up the electrical and find that I can't locate a cord that matches the plug on the side of the rig. It has three identical spades in a triangle (not touching the corners). I saw something similar at Camping World, but it has the standard U shaped ground terminal. How do I make a connection? I'm envisioning that there is some pig-tail out there that can make the transition from 1958 to today. Any ideas for a source.
The power supply inlet was made by Theo Bargman Company and has been obsolete for a number of years (at least a decade). On ocassion, one will turn up in an RV dealer's old stock (or even less frequently in the old stock of an electrical supply house), but it is not a frequent occurrence. One alternative is to install a similar (but larger) power inlet designed for marine use -- these inlets are not inexpensive, but function quite similarly to the original.

Good luck with your search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
I thought of changing out the "port", but my initial investigations don't turn up anything that would fit, look appropriate, or enhance operation.
bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:35 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings bevman!

Quote:
I thought of changing out the "port", but my initial investigations don't turn up anything that would fit, look appropriate, or enhance operation.
I don't know whether you have run across Hubbell-Marine fittings, but they make the stainless steel fitting for the coach with a heavy duty bright yellow power supply cable. It can be found on page 7 of the catalog in the link below. It is #HBL303SS.

http://www.hubbell-marine.com/pdf%20files/msection1.pdf

I know of several in the VAC who have been searching for either the power supply cable end to match up to the Theo Bargman connector or replacement Theo Bargman connectors without any luck after two or more years searching -- I also know of two who found these ellusive parts in the new old stock parts of long-time RV dealers about two years ago.

Good luck in resolving your dilemma!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:12 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Cupertino , California
Hubbell plug

Happy Holidays, Overlander64

I am trying to find a replacement for the original Hubbell plug on my 61 Tradewind. The plug does not seat very well anymore.

The old plug is a 50A 250V DC, 50A 600V AC Hubbell twist lock, cover ground.

It looks like the mounting on the old plug is in electrical contact with skin of the trailer but the HBL303SS is insulated from its mounting surface.

Have you ever run into this being a problem?

Thank you for the help.

David
CLAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
newport Coast , California
Same Problem

Quote:
Well, I am sad to say that we too are in the same situation . We can not locate a power cord for the 1959 18' Globe Trotter.
Can you let me know if you had any luck, or if you ended up replacing the connection? If so, what did you do?
We are going on our first rally in Feb. (Notreallyrallyrally) and we really want to get power in the "Welshly" as we call it.
Thanks for any help you can give, or anyone else with a sure fire fix.
Kim Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Can Someone post a photo please

What are you trying to hook to? Maybe an older RV dealer around might still have an adaptor - be happy to look locally.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
newport Coast , California
Power plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
What are you trying to hook to? Maybe an older RV dealer around might still have an adaptor - be happy to look locally.
Thanks for the help. We are presently searching old RV dealers. I will try and post pictures as soon as I have the time to figure out how to.

Thanks again, let me know if you run into one of these old dino plugs.

KC
Kim Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:27 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Cupertino , California
Old Hubbell replacement

After doing a lot of home work I found that there is a replacement plug out there. It is a Hubbell, HBL7968. I had to get it from a commercial electrical equiment store and it cost over $100.00?

It is a non-NEMA plug so the standard plug in use today will not work. The wiring configuration is strange also. I connected the wires up the same as from the old plug.

The HBL7968 plug has a spring loaded cover to keep the weather out. There is another model without the cover that is cheaper.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Cupertino , California
Smile

Let me add some more details on the Hubbell replacement.

The male plug is HBL7765C and the female, which goes into the skin of the RV, is HBL7968. See page B59 of the Hubbell catalog under Twist-lock devices.

These plugs are not to current NEMA standards and will not work with what is sold today. Be careful of the wiring configuration because standards or previous owners may have changed things.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #12
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The correct 50A connector is the Marinco 6373EL and similar and mating components. These are available as part of the Marinco "Park Power" product line through RV dealers, retailers like Amazon and vintage Trailer Supply, and electrical supply houses.

The Hubbell part you list is intended for three-phase operation and while it will work on RVs it will not interconnect with any commercially available shore power cables.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote