Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2018, 11:43 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Culver City , California
1000amp hour lithium + 600 watts solar upgrade report with photos

I just completed a self-install 600 watt, 1000 amp hour lithium battery upgrade to my 2018 Globetrotter. This gives me a little over 10kwh usable battery power + 3kwh solar/day.

I'm extremely happy with the solar, yesterday it peaked at 540 watts, considering the panels are at slightly different tilts and the time of year this absolutely crushed my expectations.

The increase in tongue weight is partially offset by removing the existing inverter and two led batteries which were further forward. The Globetrotter has limited GVWR so this is upgrade is definitely a compromise, but one I obviously find worth it. Also I lost some very useful front storage, but gained some extra storage in the old battery compartment.

Here are some progress photos:
-Solar panels: https://photos.app.goo.gl/h8lMXHBoqFMjF5oZ2
-New main breaker: https://photos.app.goo.gl/HCR2KPyjpoJhwfFB3
-Planning the DC distribution busses: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ezyrqFlqisc9jVnl1
-DC distribution busses install progress photo (batteries below): https://photos.app.goo.gl/M4cCQofEnoHURRz53

It was a big job and a lot of work both in terms of research and installing. I went the self install route as when I spoke to a well known installer I found online, I didn't vibe with him and other installers were booked out for months. If you are going to take on a job like this, the most important thing above all is safety, so things to be at the top of your mind is overcurrent protection (fire risk), grounding (electrocution risk), change to weights & power to the brakes.

Main equipment
5 x 200 Amp Hour EPS Lithium Ion + battery management CPU, solonids, shunt.
6 x 100 Watt Solar Panels + Mounts.
Victron Energy SmartSolar 150/85 MPPT Controller.
Go Power IC-3000 Inverter/Charger.
Blue Sea Systems 50 amp triple pole breaker.
2x Blue Sea Systems 1000amp bus & 600 amp bus.
Blue Sea Systems 60 amp CB, 600 amp battery disconnect, 400 amp battery disconnect.
450 amp main fuse.
600 amp inverter fuse.

The research was kind of tough - starting out it was hard to know where to get started - so I'm happy to answer any questions to those thinking of doing something similar!
russellt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Nice work Russell! I've been studying all the solar installations on Airforums and appreciate seeing your installation pictures. Wow 1000AH!

My solar plan is much smaller. I already installed two flooded 6V EGC2 East Penn Deka 230AH golf cart batteries (Duracell) in my original battery box, including a battery box modification to make room for a blade shut-off switch. Then I installed a PD4655 Converter Upgrade to charge the new batteries. My final step is to have an AM Solar SunRunner Victron 30MPPT/6 Core with four SP-100 panels and a Victron BMV-712 installed later this year.

I'm looking forward to completing my 400-Watt/230AH solar system on my FC25FB. I can't imagine what I would do with a 1000 Amp Hours. What do you plan to do with all those amp hours?
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:37 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Culver City , California
Awesome plan, I love the Victron controller. It seems very high quality and the interface design/experience of their apps is really good. I might get the battery monitor from them too, please let me know what you think of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
What do you plan to do with all those amp hours?
I live in Los Angeles so leaving on a Friday afternoon means I won't get very far. My summer destinations will be limited to choosing between hot and hotter.

So 1000 amp hours - I don't know if it's the millennial in me but I found the stock batteries on these trailers were way too small. Me 'roughing' it means I still use a ton of watts.

I only started camping last year. I discovered pretty quickly 'RV Parks' are not for me. I like being around nature, spaced far apart from other campers and being in the general wilderness away from everything. BUT - being able to sleep at 72° and enjoy my laptop, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, PS4, Fitbit, AirPods, Bose Soundlink Revolve speaker, reader, Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook, various forums or the ability to turn my brain off and watch a 2 hour long movie are all prerequisites to relaxation for me.

Seriously though, Number 1 - I want to be able to run the AC at night without running a generator. Most great parks limit generator use to 6 hours per day.

So having that ability opens a lot of destinations and experiences for me. A lot of great parks that are slower during the summer months.

Not to mention I've been going up to Mammoth which has got down to close to 0 degrees before sunrise and I need to keep the holding tanks heated with the electric heating pads. I've been staying at the RV park there so it hasn't been an issue so far but I worry about being on the road and stuff freezing.

So were these trailers designed for 100 degrees or 0 degrees? Likely not but with some thoughtful upgrades we can really expand their envelope and experience pretty awesome things that we'd otherwise miss.
russellt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Very cool!
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Like those busses!!
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote