Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
UTQ
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Maumelle , Arkansas
"You had me at Hello"

Hello. It's amazing how things can come into your life, and before you know it, consume your thoughts beyond imagine. Whether it is a new car, accessaries to your hobby, the anticipation of a trip or vacation, or the feeling that something bigger is about to happen.
My introduction into Airstreaming actually happened over 13 years ago, and did not involve anything to do with an AS. It was the meeting of a man who was the great uncle to my soon to be wife. A man who was independent, wise, a World War veteran, and most of all, the type of person whom you could sit down and listen to for hours upon hours. Over the years I came to not only appreciate his visits, but I came to anticipate them as well. Since my Grandfathers had passed away, he filled this void for me at a time in my life when I was all ears, versus my younger days when I was too busy to listen.
He has since passed on to bigger and better things, but in this, I have an ever consuming interest in acquiring his Airstream from the family. I have rehabed many older homes, and understand the ever consuming issues that can arrise from such a venture, yet in this turmoil I feel that two things will happen. First, I feel I will be able to preserve a part of his life that was a symbol of his independence, and share that feeling with my children with the hopes of passing this on, and Second, I hope to gain a connection with a man and a life style that will inspire me and my family to gain a greater appreciation for Life and the beauty of this world that God has given us.
This being said, I would like to formally say Hello to this forum, and I look forward to sharing this adventure with you. My username is in memory of the man who has brought me here, and accordingly will be the name of the 1974 Sovereign if we are able to acquire.
In Loving Memory,
TomQ
UTQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Wow! What an inspirational message. Your wife's great uncle would be proud, no doubt.

Good luck with your AS acquisition, you're sure to find lots and lots of useful information here on the forums.

And welcome!
Old 12-16-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
I enjoyed your intro and wish you all the luck in acquiring TomQ's Airstream. I had a similar interest in my grandparents trailer but, their only child (i.e. Mom) thought it would be better to get some cash out of it instead. Nice, huh?

I was surprisingly shocked at my emotions as I set foot in an Airstream for the first time in over 20 years (just a few months ago). I brought her home a few weeks later. Even though it isn't my grandparents, it feels like I too am preserving a part of their lives - a symbol of their independence and enthusiasm for travel & camaraderie!
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
What a wonderful "warm fuzzy"

Sometimes Christmas can be bittersweet, remembering lost loved ones or some not-so-great family times. Your post has just given me a real good dose of Christmas Cheer! Thank you.

This forum is chocked full of people who "Just Do It" regardless of what life hands them. You're gonna fit right in! Around here, a motto is "aluminitis is catching" but I think it's the carbon-based-life forms who appreciate aluminum that are the real inspiration.

Hang around for the practical advice, get trapped by the "can do/can adapt and do" attitudes. I sincerely welcome you to our slightly wacky, always amusing world.

May the farce be with you,

Paula
Old 12-16-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up An Airstream full of memories...

TomQ
Welcome Aboard.

Your wonderful intro reminded me of a very similar mentor in my own life.
My wife's Uncle Hubie was one unique individual. His stories were legendary in the Burke family, we'd sit around the kitchen table for hours in rapt attention. During one of these episodes I snuck in my spycorder and was able to record over an hour of is story-telling.
He was the main reason we were able to purchase "Bertha", his Mother's 1953 Ford Victoria, which we have been custodian's of since 1976. I have been known to just drive around listening to his wonderful tales.

Thank You Uncle Hubie.

I can really relate to your desire in acquiring that memorable Airstream.
Wishing you all the best in your Quest.

PLEASE keep us posted.

Bob,Sandra, & "Fado"
Old 12-16-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
What an awesome first post. Welcome to the Forums, TomQ. Best wishes on acquiring that Airstream. You will certainly do your wife's great uncle's memory proud. You know, Airstreams are just as much family members as our family themselves.

I'm looking forward to hearing more.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:15 PM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Tom,

What a fantastic relational story. We're glad your here with us. Now for the big question...When are the pictures coming?

Happy Holidays,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #8
UTQ
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Maumelle , Arkansas
Thanks

Thanks for the positive feedback, and thanks Bob for sharing your story of your Uncle Hubie. Here's to the future and a very Merry Christmas. I will see if I can work a picture or two in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exterior front right.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	72663  
Old 12-16-2008, 08:18 PM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Hubie's Mom

Uncle Hubie's Mom

Bertha Wilcox ca. 1976, her last drive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GRANDMA'S LAST DRIVE OCT. 1976.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	72664  
Old 12-16-2008, 08:20 PM   #10
UTQ
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Maumelle , Arkansas
Other pics

Here are some other exterior pics. After these I will share with you a few of the issues. There are a few blemishes to the exterior rear side, including a broken tail light. Any suggestions on finding replacements would be helpful?
Old 12-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #11
UTQ
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Maumelle , Arkansas
pics

Here are those pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Exterior Right side.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	343.6 KB
ID:	72665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exterior front left.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	316.2 KB
ID:	72666  

Old 12-16-2008, 09:03 PM   #12
UTQ
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Maumelle , Arkansas
Rear tail drop sagging

My hopes were to be able to make it usable after simple repairs, but looks like more TLC will be required. When I looked in the underside where the rear tail drop was sagging (if I said that right?), I believe I saw the angle iron that was supporting the black water tank. It looked like it was almost rusted through. I can see myself losing the black water tank going down the interstate, so if we get things worked out, I suppose I will need to install temporary supports across the bottom for precaution? Also found water leak in main copper line in rear access. Just a precursor for whats to come...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lft rear end tail drop rust delamination.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	72669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear copper water line leak.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	72670  

Old 12-16-2008, 09:45 PM   #13
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Welcome to the forums.. what an intro.. cant wait to read your 6000th post!
By then this beauty should be all finished..

Lot of great folks here..

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:14 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Yup, nice story. Hope the resto. goes well for you.

Are you somewhere around Lake Maumelle? Spent many a pleasant summer evening fishing there back in the day, when I lived in Little Rock. Way back in the day. Like maybe 1960 or so. What fun! Good memories

Ryanh
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:10 PM   #15
UTQ
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Maumelle , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
Yup, nice story. Hope the resto. goes well for you.

Are you somewhere around Lake Maumelle? Spent many a pleasant summer evening fishing there back in the day, when I lived in Little Rock. Way back in the day. Like maybe 1960 or so. What fun! Good memories

Ryanh
Actually, Lake Maumelle is on the South side of the river, and the city of Maumelle is on the North side of the river, but reguardless, it is still close in Arkansas terms. I've caught a few bass out there myself. Great place to go.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:47 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Graham , North Carolina
great story. thanks and welcome to the forum.
good luck on the 74
jerry
jerrypeterma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:04 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Louisburg , North Carolina
Welcome. You will have a great time restoring the ole Gal. It no doubt will be one of the most satisfying things you ever did. I will warn you that restoring an Airstream is VERY habit forming and once you get it done you will have to get another one and start all over again. I have restored many antique Fly wheel engines , Tractors and Motorcycles over the years but the Airstream was more satisfying because my wife was able to share in the project and we both enjoy the results.
GO 4 It.
Mainstream is offline   Reply With Quote