Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2013, 05:03 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
anytown , travlin
Yippekyaa. 73 Safari 23' dual axles

We just aquired our first Airstream. It is as the title says. A 1973 safari landyacht with dual axles. It had been sitting in a parking lot for as long as I can recall at least 3 years I have been driving by it. Never saw a forsale sign on it and never sawanybody outside in the yard. Untill just the week before last. So ofcourse I did a uturn introduced myself happended to be a tenant who kindly informed my of his landlords name. and as luck would also have it the landlords friend was walking thier dog.Henceforth I was able to get in touch with the ownwer of the property shortly there after. He informed me that the trailer belonged to his brother who lives down south. this being new england. He promptly was able to get me a phone number to contact his brother the rightful owner. My main concern was the title if it was clear. sure enough yup and after a brief phone call we agreed to a reasonable price. he mailed the title to his brother within a day or two it arrived. I paid the agreed price and was able to register the airstream two days later. Not having a tow vehile I was at the mercy of friends to give me a hand. just so happened one day a friend of mine was close by had the correct 2/5/16 inch ball on his ford dump truck big f350 diesel. Well within 45mins start to finish him doing most the jacking and hooking up we towed it to my girlfriends yard. his truck also had the correct wiring conecctions and eletric brake controller. most the lights if not all were working. Even the electric brakes worked. My first thoughts for the camper was to polish to a spit shine. But thats too much work for a dissabled person. So I will clean the inside grease axles fix any lights not working. Make sure brakes are good. enjoy for the summer and then tackle the major overhaul next summer enjoing it as we go. It is all stock. I will do mechanicle and let my gf, design the interior as she sees fit. Looking forward to learn alot here and share our progress as we Grow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0136.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	479.8 KB
ID:	183271   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0138.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	579.6 KB
ID:	183272  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0157.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	183273   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0151.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	183274  

rednose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Good for you!!!!!!!!!!

Looks great.

Now, go have some fun.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Congratulations! Welcome to the forums! Looks to be in pretty good shape. I am concerned that you have leaks due to the appearance of water stain on the gaucho. Keep the pics and running dialogue coming!

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote